Guide to tamer daily pet battles (5.3) - For veterans

Guides and information to collecting specific pets.
Phraide
Pet Score:1785
Realm:Cho'gall-eu
Re: Guide to tamer daily pet battles (5.3)

Post by Phraide » May 29th, 2013, 9:54 am

Rellyne wrote:
Phraide wrote:Whispering Pandaren Spirit
15 rounds
1: Carry pet (Should have 500 HP to survive)
2: Chrominius [-] (1,1,2)
3: Snarly [-] (1,1,2)

vs Dusty
- Attack with your Carry pet > switch to Chrominius
- Bite > Howl > Bite until Dusty dies
vs Whispertail
- Howl > Surge of Power
- Switch to Snarly when Chrominius dies
- Surge
vs Pandaren Air Spirit
- Rip > Blood in the Water > Surge until the end

- Notes: If your Chrominius falls asleep against Dusty, try again (it will be a rare occurrence).
After a few atempts with this team, went back to my Emerald/Carry/Onyxian Whelpling. It's reliable since this comp can recover from asleep instead of forfeiting for better luck and not that slower.

Had to forfeit a lot thx to falling asleep (not that rare hehehe) and even when that didn't happen, Chrominius didn't survive to use Surge of Power on Whispertail and Snarly was just destroyed without mercy by Whispertail.
I am nearly finished with the testing of this new Whispering Pandaren Spirit team. Here is my (hopefully) final product:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
3: Emerald Proto-Whelp [4] (2,2,2)

vs Dusty
vs Whispertail
- Howl (only if your Chrominius has more than 400 HP left) > Surge of Power
- Switch to Emerald Proto-Whelp when Chrominius dies
- Emerald Bite
vs Pandaren Air Spirit
- Emerald Bite until the end

- Notes: If your Chrominius did not survive the fight against Dusty or was unable to cast Howl against Whispertail (because he had less than 400 HP when engaging Whispertail), then cast and maintain Emerald Presence (refresh it when there is 1-turn left on the buff) on your Emerald Proto-Whelp, and cast Emerald Dream when needed (less than 1/3 of your HP).

This new setup should now be able to defeat the Whispering Pandaren Spirit team no matter what, even with an unlucky Sleep on Moth Dust (which should happen once every 5 attempts, given the 80% accuracy of Moth Dust and the 25% chance to trigger a sleep), because the Emerald Proto-Whelp can defeat the whole enemy team on his own. 4 times out of 5 fights, you will have a fast victory (16 rounds). I have yet to calculate the number of rounds required to achieve victory when you eat the sleep, but it should not be exceedingly longer than the 24 rounds of the previous team with Anubisath Idol-Chrominius. All in all, this new team should be a nice improvement.
Chrominius didn't survive to use Surge of Power on Whispertail
If your Chrominius eats the sleep, then he will likely not survive the fight against Dusty, I agree. That is why I chose the Emerald Proto-Whelp as a secondary pet. But without a sleep on Moth Dust, I was unable to reproduce a fight where Chrominius failed to deliver his Howl+Surge of Power. It is a possibility, but the odds are so low (0.625%) that it is negligible:

- Chrominius has 1644 HP. He needs to survive 2 rounds against Whispertail to cast Howl and Surge of Power. Whispertail's first move is always a weak attack, which hit Chrominius for 110 HP. His second move will be the dot, which hit for 250 HP on Chrominius. To cast his combo, Chrominius needs 110+250=360 HP when engaging Whispertail. Lets say 400 HP.

- Dusty delivers his damage under the following pattern:
350 HP (moth dust)
110 HP (Cocoon Strike)
110 HP x [0|1|2|3|4] (Moth Balls, with a 50% accuracy for each of the 4 attempts)
-
(Repeat)

Assuming no sleep on Moth Dust, you will go 2x through this pattern. But because you let your Carry pet begin the fight, you will escape the first batch of Moth Dust damage:
110HP (Cocoon Strike)
110 HP x [0|1|2|3|4] (Moth Balls)
-
350 HP (Moth Dust)
110HP (Cocoon Strike)
110 HP x [0|1|2|3|4] (Moth Balls)
-

- To deliver your Howl+Surge, you should not sustain more than 1244 damage against Dusty (1644HP from your Chrominius - 400 damage from Whispertail). Thus, to survive, you should not take more than 6 out of the 8 possible hits of Moth Balls. Assuming a 80% accuracy for Moth Dust, and a 50% accuracy for each strike of Moth Balls, you will eat the Moth Dust + the fatal 7th hit of Moth Balls once every 160 attempts, which is fine by me. And even then, you can just ignore the Howl and go straight for the Surge.
(and some stupid bad RNG that my Tonk' missels misses so much... 90% hit chance... ok... lol)
I am 100% sure there is a bug with Missile. Its accuracy is more like 50% atm. Definitely not 90%. This bug hampers the reliability of the Mo'ruk and Major Payne teams. I may have to rework these setups if Blizzard fails to address this issue :cry:

Anasa
Top Rater
Pet Score:2322
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Anasa » May 29th, 2013, 12:44 pm

Tahsfenz wrote:Aki
1. Carry Pet
2. Anubisath Idol (1,2,1)
3. Yellow Moth (1,1,2)
Anubisath has a better time here with 1,1,1. The Sandstorm does damage, negates the same amount of damage, lasts longer, and changes the weather back off of Lightning. It also helps protect the Moth (or whatever flyer you use). Yes, sometimes the 10% miss is a pain, but it's much safer and is actually Strong against the last pet.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » May 29th, 2013, 7:24 pm

Using stoneskin makes the fight faster for me and usually I don't even get to use my moth. This has been much more reliable than with sandstorm for me. Remember, I'm using my carry pet first, so I don't need to worry about the swap later. I have used sandstorm before. I feel much stronger and I beat out the most dangerous pet (in my opinion) much quicker without all the misses and the extra damage Stormlash takes. If my moth does come up, lightning is already gone and he's doing more damage anyways nice there is no sandstorm. Have people attempted both? If your happier with sandstorm that's fine, just expressing what I feel is a foolproof setup. With the sandstorm setup, RNG can still ruin your day. With stoneskin setup, you really have to try to lose.

Again ths is just my experience.

Phraide

Post by Phraide » May 30th, 2013, 7:38 am

I edited the guide with a new team for Mo'ruk. Same concept, but with Chrominius instead of Emerald Proto-Whelp. It is a 17 rounds victory now (instead of 21 rounds with the previous team), and it is less susceptible to the Moth Dust sleep (you will only eat one Moth Dust now, no matter what).
Anasa wrote:In case anyone else wants a handy "to catch/level" checklist, here are all the pets mentioned in OP's strategies:

(Pets used in multiple battles listed first, breeds indicated where applicable)

Yellow Moth [4] (2 battles)
Emerald Proto-Whelp [4] (3 battles)
Snarly (other crocolisks acceptable) (3 battles)
Darkmoon Tonk (4 battles)
Vampiric Batling or Bat [4] (2 battles)
Chrominius (3 battles)

Spirit Crab [6]
Rabbit [12]
Anodized Robo Cub [7]
Untamed Hatchling
Anubisath Idol
Zandalari Kneebiter [4]
Onyxian Whelpling
Darkmoon Zeppelin
Scourged Whelpling
Flayer Youngling [5]
Grasslands Cottontail [5]
Eternal Strider [8]
[pet]Unborn Val'kyr[/pet]
Pandaren Water Spirit
Geat idea thanks! I'll add this later today.
I am nearly finished with the testing of this new Whispering Pandaren Spirit team. Here is my (hopefully) final product:

3: Emerald Proto-Whelp [4] (2,2,2)

vs Dusty
vs Whispertail
- Howl (only if your Chrominius has more than 400 HP left) > Surge of Power
- Switch to Emerald Proto-Whelp when Chrominius dies
- Emerald Bite
vs Pandaren Air Spirit
- Emerald Bite until the end

- Notes: If your Chrominius did not survive the fight against Dusty or was unable to cast Howl against Whispertail (because he had less than 400 HP when engaging Whispertail), then cast and maintain Emerald Presence (refresh it when there is 1-turn left on the buff) on your Emerald Proto-Whelp, and cast Emerald Dream when needed (less than 1/3 of your HP).
Ok, after more testing, I decided to scrap this new team. It is entirely to long and tedious to win if you eat the sleep on Chrominius, and it is definitely not as reliable as I would like even without the sleep (because of the Dragonkin racial which will activate on Whispertail and ruin your Surge if your Chrominius has less than 411HP). I still have to rework the Whispering Pandaren Spirit team though, as well as the Thundering Pandaren Spirit and the Major Payne teams, as they are either way to slow (the Pandaren Spirit teams with 24 rounds and 27 rounds) or unreliable (the Major Payne team).

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » May 30th, 2013, 7:53 am

Phraide wrote:I edited the guide with a new team for Mo'ruk.
[...]
- Missile > Decoy > Projectile until Woodcarver dies
That's probably: Missile > Decoy > Missile until Woodcarver dies or what is Projectile?

Phraide

Post by Phraide » May 30th, 2013, 8:01 am

I edited the guide with a new team for Courageous Yon. It is as fast (if not faster) as the previous one, but it lowers the total number of pets required to complete the 15 teams of the guide. Emerald Proto-Whelp replaces Untamed Hatchling.
Kring wrote:
Phraide wrote:I edited the guide with a new team for Mo'ruk.
[...]
- Missile > Decoy > Projectile until Woodcarver dies
That's probably: Missile > Decoy > Missile until Woodcarver dies or what is Projectile?
My bad :oops:

Thanks ;)

Kring

Post by Kring » May 30th, 2013, 9:24 am

Is there an add-on that counts the number of rounds spent on a tamer? Or do you count that by hand?

Phraide

Post by Phraide » May 30th, 2013, 9:59 am

- Added 'Pet Shop' section to the guide (a list of all the pets required to complete the 15 teams of this guide)
Kring wrote:Is there an add-on that counts the number of rounds spent on a tamer? Or do you count that by hand?
There is no addon for that as far as I know. I do my calculations based on math and a big sample of fights.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » May 30th, 2013, 11:49 am

Kring wrote:Is there an add-on that counts the number of rounds spent on a tamer? Or do you count that by hand?
I'm pretty sure the pet battle log keeps track of this, at least it used to. If I remember correctly, at the beginning of each turn it says what turn it is.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » May 30th, 2013, 12:33 pm

Yes the log will tell you what round your on.

Kring

Post by Kring » May 31st, 2013, 3:37 am

NathKnave wrote:
I'm pretty sure the pet battle log keeps track of this, at least it used to. If I remember correctly, at the beginning of each turn it says what turn it is.
Thanks, I can now stop counting rounds! That's an awesome way to compare your own team with the one from this thread (and learn that my smart arcane explosion team for Yon isn't really thaaaat fast...). :-)

Kring

Post by Kring » May 31st, 2013, 5:20 am

I think you could add the strategy for Trixxy to the guide from the following post by Gendou:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... 809#p20738
(The one for Accoste doesn't work for me, unfortunately. Breath is weak against UD and Thunderbolt has a 4 turn cooldown.)

The cool thing about Trixxy is that you can carry 2 level 1 pets which will both level to 6. And a level 6 pet can easily be used as carry pet for most of the trainers from this guide.

Anasa
Top Rater

Post by Anasa » May 31st, 2013, 10:56 am

Use a turtle for Accoste. You'll pwn her entire team with one pet. She has an elemental and two undead. I use a Spiny Terrapin (2,2,2).

I'll also have a cricket or something just for variety and safety, but the turtle can do the whole fight.

Anasa
Top Rater

Post by Anasa » May 31st, 2013, 1:20 pm

In the section about Whispering Pandaren Spirit, you have:

"vs Dusty
- Deflection > Sandstorm
- Crush, unless your Deflection is up (then cast Deflection > Sandstorm)"

This is off by one round after the first cycle. Your Sandstorm will always hit Dusty when he's wrapped. It should be Deflection > (Crush/Pass) > Sandstorm. That way you don't lose out on the Sandstorm damage, which can mitigate some of the misses you'll be getting due to it.

Kring

Post by Kring » May 31st, 2013, 3:09 pm

Anasa wrote:Use a turtle for Accoste. You'll pwn her entire team with one pet. She has an elemental and two undead. I use a Spiny Terrapin (2,2,2).
That's what I do but it's 4 additional turns and you can't use level 1 pets. Die nice thing about the zeppelin for Trixxy is that you don't have to attack with your level 1 because the zeppelin is destroyed at the end.

Anasa
Top Rater

Post by Anasa » May 31st, 2013, 6:19 pm

So, I... Got bored at work today, and made a cheat sheet based mostly on Phraide's strategies. (For instance, I use a guardian cub where he uses a Moth)

Suitable for printing out and hanging next to your desk if you're like me and don't like to tab out all the time to remember "now, what was I supposed to use here?"

Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6ok1kiq45svq8s/tamer-daily-akpak.pdf

Kring

Post by Kring » May 31st, 2013, 6:24 pm

Phraide wrote: Aki the Chosen

vs Chirrup
- Shell Shield > Whirlpool > Snap
- Chain cast Snap, unless there is 1-turn left on your Shell Shield (then recast it)
Snap does 514 damage against Chirrup, Whirlpool only does 468 damage. I think it's better to not use Whirlpool against Chirrup and save the cooldown for Stormlash.

Stencil
Pet Score:3290
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Stencil » June 1st, 2013, 4:26 am

Nice to see that some of my strats in the guide, though it looks like a couple have already been replaced heh.

I often hit the Deepholm tamer for some extra pet xp on the way to Obalis since there are portals to take me there and bring me back. Here's a strat for him if anyone is interested.

Bordin Steadyfist
12-14 rounds
1: Snarly (1,1,2) Rip, Surge, Blood in the Water
2: carry pet
3: Pandaren Water Spirit (1,2,1) Water Jet, Whirlpool, Dive

vs Ruby
- Ruby is unpredictable in terms of how fast it dies and how much damage you take
- Rip > Blood in the Water > Surge as necessary
vs Crystallus
- Crystallus will Hiss and Apocalypse before chaining Flank which will do around 450 damage if all 3 attacks hit
- Rip > Rip > Rip[s]* > Surge
- substitute Blood in the Water for Rip if off cooldown
- [s] if you think Flank will kill you this round, then you should Surge instead
vs Fracture
- switch to carry pet; Fracture buffs on this turn, so it is safe
- switch to Water Spirit
- Whirlpool > Dive > Water Jet til dead

If Snarly dies to Crystallus, use the opportunity to swap in the carry pet. Make sure to save Dive for Fracture's 4th round so that you'll avoid the Elementium Bolt.

Stencil
Pet Score:3290
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Stencil » June 1st, 2013, 4:40 am

Kring wrote:

vs Chirrup
- Chain cast Snap, unless there is 1-turn left on your Shell Shield (then recast it)
Snap does 514 damage against Chirrup, Whirlpool only does 468 damage. I think it's better to not use Whirlpool against Chirrup and save the cooldown for Stormlash.
I think Whirlpool is best used at two specific points: the round before Chirrup dies (so that it lands on Stormlash) and the first round against Whiskers when he Dives and cannot otherwise be attacked. Against Chirrup, assuming no misses or crits, the timing has always worked for me if I go with:
- Shell Shield > Snap until 1 round left on Shield > Shell Shield > Whirlpool > Snap (Chirrup dies)

Phraide

Post by Phraide » June 1st, 2013, 8:50 am

- Slight modification for Aki the Chosen (Whirlpool no longer cast against Chirrup)
- Slight modification for Whispering Pandaren Spirit (Crush instead of Sandstorm to break the cocoons)
- New team for Flowing Pandaren Spirit (Same concept, same speed, but with Emerald Proto-Whelp instead of Onyxian Whelpling, who is no longer catchable ingame)
- New team for Thundering Pandaren Spirit (same concept, but with Grasslands Cottontail instead of Rabbit. Slightly faster thanks to Grasslands Cottontail's higher attack rating)

Anasa wrote:In the section about Whispering Pandaren Spirit, you have:

"vs Dusty
- Deflection > Sandstorm
- Crush, unless your Deflection is up (then cast Deflection > Sandstorm)"

This is off by one round after the first cycle. Your Sandstorm will always hit Dusty when he's wrapped. It should be Deflection > (Crush/Pass) > Sandstorm. That way you don't lose out on the Sandstorm damage, which can mitigate some of the misses you'll be getting due to it.
Done. Thanks :)
Kring wrote:

vs Chirrup
True. Thanks :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Testing this team I found on the official US-forum right now:

Major Payne
17-18 rounds
1: Carry pet (Needs 500 HP to survive)
2: Crow [5] (2,2,2)
3: Sinister Squashling [-] (2,2,2)

vs Grizzle
- Attack with your Carry pet > switch to Crow
- Call Darkness > Nocturnal Strike > Alpha Strike
- Chain cast Alpha Strike, unless Nocturnal Strike is up (then cast it)
vs Beakmaster X-225
- Switch to Sinister Squashling
- Stun Seed > Leech Seed > Poison Lash
- When your Stun Seed detonates, Beakmaster is stunned and Major Payne switches to Flore. Beakmaster will die from your DoT in the back row.
vs Flore
- Poison Lash until your Sinister Squashling dies > switch to Crow
- Call Darkness > Nocturnal Strike > Alpha Strike until the end

This team looks solid and faster than the one with Darkmoon Tonk/Grasslands Cottontail. Still need to see how to deal with Shock and Awe's stuns though.