Visual Guide to Collecting Wild Pet Colors

Guides and information to collecting specific pets.
Nagini
Top Rater
Pet Score:9683
Realm:Kael'thas-us
Re: Visual Guide to Collecting Wild Pet Colors

Post by Nagini » September 13th, 2018, 2:11 am

Such an amazing guide! I was getting so confused trying to figure out which hermit crab skins were unique and which came on multiple wild hermit crabs due to the color x shell decoration possibilities they have =p

Starshelle
Pet Score:8403
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Starshelle » December 26th, 2018, 2:06 pm

I just wanted to say how much I love and appreciate this guide. I really enjoy collecting the different skins. Thank you for putting this together and maintaining it.

Katech725
MVP
Pet Score:11197
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Katech725 » March 16th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Wow, great guide! I was looking for this exact thing to start checking if I had all possible skins for pets with tons of varieties.

For the beetles, and this is just for the ultra-completionist folks, I noticed that there are actually two unique beetle models. Most are the standard, spiky-legged model, but I spotted two (please share if anyone finds more!) that have slight differences. The Sand Scarab and the Creepy Crawly models have no leg spikes and the back of the shell has a more "snubbed" look or is less tapered. The Creepy Crawly is a 100% unique skin, so no big deal there. The Sand Scarab appears to have the "brown with beige and yellow markings" at first glance (like the Giant Woodworm, etc.), but it's actually unique, color-wise. Besides just being the alternate model, it doesn't have the gray and red on the legs and under-shell segments; the under-shell is more pink(ish?).

I know, that's being super picky, cuz they do appear the same at a glance, but I thought I'd share with my fellow collectors! Thanks again, GormanGhaste, I've bookmarked this guide. Many thumbs up! :)

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » March 16th, 2019, 2:49 pm

Katech725 wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 12:43 pm
Creepy Crawly is a 100% unique skin, so no big deal there. The Sand Scarab appears to have the "brown with beige and yellow markings" at first glance (like the Giant Woodworm, etc.), but it's actually unique, color-wise. Besides just being the alternate model, it doesn't have the gray and red on the legs and under-shell segments; the under-shell is more pink(ish?).
So Creepy Crawly is weird, now that I look at it. My old one uses the newer skin, "grey and red" I believe (as seen in Beetle. I just tamed a new one, which uses the older skin shown in the profile which is now a unique skin. In combat both show up with the older skin. When summoned to my side, my old one shows up with newer skin, but the new one shows up with the older skin. Haven't tried leveling the new tame so not sure if that will change. Very interesting catch!

Sand Scarab isn't listed on the guide because even though you're right it's a unique skin, it's not a wild pet, and the guide is for wild pets. There are non-wild pets with different skins as well like Bloodstone Tunneler and Octopode Fry but guess that'd be a separate issue.

Katech725
MVP
Pet Score:11197
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Katech725 » March 19th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Peanutty wrote:
March 16th, 2019, 2:49 pm
So Creepy Crawly is weird, now that I look at it. My old one uses the newer skin, "grey and red" I believe (as seen in Beetle. I just tamed a new one, which uses the older skin shown in the profile which is now a unique skin. In combat both show up with the older skin. When summoned to my side, my old one shows up with newer skin, but the new one shows up with the older skin. Haven't tried leveling the new tame so not sure if that will change. Very interesting catch!
Love this! Thanks so much for sharing the extra details, Peanutty, this is too cool... Creepy Crawly has now officially moved closer to the top of my "most awesome beetles" list. It just does whatever the heck it wants, Creepy Crawly don't care. ;)

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » March 19th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Very interesting finds, Katech725 and Peanutty!

I've tested this myself and sure enough, Peanutty's observations held true. Old Creepy Crawly has the updated beetle look, while the newly captured one retains the old look. I've also leveled up (and rare-ified, both using battlestones) the new one, and it kept the original appearance.

Since it's unclear whether or not this is intended, we'll keep the original look as the pet's profile picture for now. If need be, we can add the updated beetle skin to the 'alternative skins' section for this pet at a later date.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Post by Guest » December 15th, 2021, 4:22 am

Thank you, wonderful, painstaking work

Sffcorgi
MVP
Pet Score:13552
BattleTag®:Corgi#1919
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Sffcorgi » December 13th, 2022, 3:09 pm

Time to un-necro this, as the Ironbeak Duck and I think the Scruffy Ottuk of the Dragon Isles apparently have rare alternate colourings (white-black-red for the duck, arctic non-albino white for the ottuk) and I have NO idea if they show up randomly, or in a particular area, or...?

Post by Guest » December 15th, 2022, 5:20 am

I really appreciate all this work! Thank you!