Here are the highlights of Patch 5.4 for pet collectors. For a full list of all the changes, check out the official 5.4 patch notes.
33 New Pets!
- The majority of new pets can be obtained on the Timeless Isle, a new zone. These include drops from rares, vendor pets, and three wild pets.
- One of these pets requires an item that makes the user hostile to all players on the Timeless Isle, but allows the user to acquire the currency necessary to purchase the pet. Note that PVP on PVE realms will not change and will continue to function as normal.
- Two new craftable pets that can only be created by max level engineers. These pets are BoP and not tradeable.
- The gift package from Blingtron 4000's account-wide daily quest has a chance to drop a shiny companion of similar name and design.
- There's a new world raid boss lurking on the Darkmoon Island which can drop a lovable wolf pup that's based on an internet meme.
- Four new pets can be found within the new raid, Siege of Orgrimmar. One of these may only be obtained in LFR or Flex.
View All New Pets
New Features and Changes
- Pet Journals can now hold up to 1000 pets! The maximum number of duplicates allowed is still three.
- Have excess Battle-Stones? You can trade the Pet Battle Trainer in Stormwind or Orgrimmar three family-specific Flawless Battle-Stones in exchange for one BoA non-specific Flawless Battle-Stone.
- Pets can now be won in Throne of Thunder raid using bonus rolls. This change to bonus rolls also applies to the Siege of Orgrimmar, although the new raid uses Warforged Seals as currency instead of Mogu Runes of Fate.
- A penalty is applied for those that spend more than 15 seconds to take an action in queued pet PVP matches, which results in each round getting progressively shorter for said player.
- Significant changes were made to the following pet family passives: Aquatic, Critter, Dragonkin, Elemental, and Magic.
- Several pet abilities have been altered, and a few pets have had the positions of their abilities swapped.
- Pet Battlers seeking a new challenge should head over to the Timeless Isle to test their pet prowess in the Celestial Tournament! Players must have at least 15 level 25 pets in their collection to be eligible for the event.
- Each week there will be 3 trainers to defeat in the tournament as well as the 4 Celestial "boss pets". The first three are part of a larger rotation of trainers (see: Legendary Pet Teams table for possible trainers and their teams).
- In addition to the tournament, Little Tommy Newcomer owns an interesting legendary battle pet that you can challenge daily for a reward.
- There are new achievements, most of which involve the Celestial Tournament. However, there's an achievement for collecting many cats!
There are many pets to collect and challenges to overcome in 5.4. All of the new content is likely to keep us busy for some time, so better get started on collecting them all!