Feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the information that was recently released about MoP? Curious about just the minipets and Pet Battles?
Well we've sifted through the walls of text and have all the pet-related news, just for you!
MoP Mini-Pet Updates
- There will be about 100 wild pets from all over Azeroth to collect!
- Account wide pets have been confirmed. All your characters will have access to all of your pets. This will cut down on switching between characters to level up a certain pet.
- The pet UI will be updated to show you a list of all the pets you currently have and the pets that you don't have. In the case of the companions that you're missing, it will show you where to find those pets.
- The pets that you own will have a corresponding "pet card" that will show all the information about said pet. Such information includes mini-pet health, level, attack, defense and movement speed values.
- You will be able to rename all of your companions.
- Developers are considering allowing players to grow their own mini-pets on personal farms within the Valley of the Four Winds. [source]
- Each mini-pet will have 6 abilities that players can choose pre-battle. Much like player leveling, as your companion levels up it will unlock more abilities. Also like a player talent tree, you can only choose one ability per row of talents for your pet.
- Entering into a Pet Battle, you will see your opponent and the three pets you will be fighting against, but you will NOT see your opponent's name or be able to communicate with them.
- While in a Pet Battle, you will be able to switch between the three pets you've chosen to fight, and they will dutifully run up to your opponent's pet to attack it.
- Pets have four stats: health, attack, defense, and movement, which acts like an initiative roll, deciding who attacks first.
- Challenging another player in the open world will switch you into a unique zoomed in view. Once combat is over it will return you to a normal gameplay camera view.
- In addition to being able to queue into a queuing system and duel other players in the open world, there will be NPCs and critters that you can enter combat with to help level your mini-pets.
- Unlike PVP, your Pet Battles stats will only show you how many games you've won. Information on losses will not be available.
- Pet Battles using smartphone apps (World of Warcraft Remote) is something that Blizzard would like to implement someday.
There are still many questions left unanswered, such as will account wide pets allow access to cross faction companions? Is trading/selling leveled up BoP mini-pets still on the table for MoP? Information on how collecting a wild pet will work is still unknown as well.
We hope to bring you additional details about these topics, as well as further previews of Pet Battles in the near future, so stay tuned!