The WotLK expansion introduces the Achievement System into the fold, allowing players to show off their in-game accomplishments. When you earn an achievement, your guild will be alerted, as will everyone in the general vacinity of your character. Additionally, achievements are listed in the armory and accessible in-game so you can compare your feats to others. Points are earned for each achievement, but so far the points are strictly for show and cannot be spent.
Achievements offer something for everyone and every play-style, and that includes pet collectors! Here are several (but not all) of the pet-related achievements to date:
- Plenty of Pets - Collect 15 unique vanity pets. (10 pts)
- Plethora of Pets - Collect 25 unique vanity pets. (10 pts)
- Shop Smart. Shop Pet... Smart - Collect 50 unique vanity pets. (10 pts)
- Veteran Nanny - Acquire Egbert's Egg, Sleepy Willy, and Elekk Training Collar on one character. (50 pts)
- Sinister Calling - Obtain a Sinister Squashling Pet. (10 pts)
- Avast Ye, Admiral! - Obtain the Bloodsail Admiral's Hat... and try to get some fresh air every now and then. (Feat of Strength - 0 pts)
There are many more, several of which involve collecting an ultra-rare pet, such as CE pets and those only available to attendees of Blizzcon or the Worldwide Ivitationals.
Note that many people have speculated that another of these feats, Tuskarrmageddon, which requires killing 1,000,000 Tuskarr, will reward a pet item: Baby Seal Club. However, Tigole (lead designer) confirmed that this is actually an inside joke and will be removed in the next build. Sorry—no baby seal to report yet.