Courageous Yon for leveling

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us
Courageous Yon for leveling

Post by Zaelo » December 6th, 2012, 8:29 pm

I know Farmer Nishi is quite popular for leveling pets, but I've moved on to Courageous Yon, and it feels so much easier.

1) None of his pet AoE's, so no risk of seeing your leveling pet die while he's in the back row
2) Only the 3rd pet (goat) has a little heal, but nothing like the repeatitive heals of Nishi's two elemental pets that sometimes makes the fight drag a bit too much
3) Wether he starts with the hare or the chicken, his first move only hits for under 200, so it's easy to get a pet very low level in there and move him out on the 2nd round, and he'll be safe in the back row

He has a critter, a beast and a flying, so it's easy to find pets good against them. Flayer Youngling and Celestial Dragon, two very popular pets, are more than enough to take them down. I'm sure there's some pets that could solo all three.
Anyway I find the experience a lot smoother with Yon than with Nishi, thought I'd share ;)

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Courageous Yon for leveling

Post by Poofah » December 6th, 2012, 8:56 pm

I use Emerald Proto-Whelp on Yon; his chicken and rabbit both predictably use their speed boost, then lift-off/burrow, then hit you three times, and repeat. Emerald Shield trivializes the damage, and you probably have to heal once or twice during the fight. Magical Crawdad or Emerald Whelpling can handle it too, but more slowly. This lets you have Darkmoon Zeppelin in your third slot, to kill the goat with explode and get mucho XP.

Lately I want battle stones so I typically complete all the dailies rather than farm one of them for XP. My set-ups are:

Magical Crawdad/Darkmoon Zeppelin for Aki and the Townlong Steppes guy
Emerald Proto-Whelp/Darkmoon Zeppelin for Yon, Mo'ruk (Krasarang), Hyuna (Jade Forest)
Spawn of Onyxia/Darkmoon Zeppelin for the Dread Wastes guy
Mirror Strider/Darkmoon Zeppelin for Nishi

Typically I start with my soloing pet, let him die with the tamer's 3rd pet around 500hp, swap to lowbie, take one hit, swap to zeppelin, boom.

For the Pandaren spirit tamers, I'm having trouble including the Zeppelin, as they are not easy/possible with a solo pet (except for Air).

Air: Emerald Proto-Whelp
Fire: Purple Puffer, Emerald Proto-Whelp -- the dragon casts aoe that wrecks your lowbie though, so it sucks for leveling.
Water: 2x Moth
Earth: haven't got this reliably yet, but I'm working on it with either 2x Flayer Youngling, or a fluxfire feline plus something else. So far I can't do it with an actual lowbie--the leveling pet needs to land a couple swings on the molerat at the end. Reflect cooling down in the back row is the only reason this is possible with 2x Flayers, as it lets you reflect basically all of the elemental's stuns.

Sunturion
Realm:Hellscream-eu

Post by Sunturion » December 7th, 2012, 2:55 am

Ive been able to do all the pandaria trainers with 2 lvl 25 pets (Lil' Deathwing and Anubisath Idol) and a leveling pet, i start out that the farm, or the air spirit, and work my way through pandaria, all except the thundering trainer. i usually get the pet from lvl 3 to 25 on the dailies, but thats with the hat.

Florencia

Post by Florencia » December 7th, 2012, 4:52 am

Perhaps I should go try this tomorrow. 8-)

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » December 7th, 2012, 11:02 am

Poofah wrote:I use Emerald Proto-Whelp on Yon; his chicken and rabbit both predictably use their speed boost, then lift-off/burrow, then hit you three times, and repeat. Emerald Shield trivializes the damage, and you probably have to heal once or twice during the fight.
Can't wait to get my hands on one of those :/
Haven't even seen one in the wild yet.. not that I spent hours camping the spawning spot, but I spend some time there..

Im sure the Crawdad can indeed do it too, but it'd take so long XD
I prefer going with my Flayer Youngling and Fluxfire Feline, makes the fight short and I just let them both die before finishing up with my other pet. (Unless I'm leveling a really low level pet, in which case I keep one of the two alive to finish the fight)

I need to level the darkmoon zepplin so I can try that auto-explode spell at the end too, that sounds pretty good for this kind of situation.