Synergic Team

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Beast_mast0r
Pet Score:3175
Realm:Stormscale-eu
Synergic Team

Post by Beast_mast0r » November 5th, 2014, 6:29 am

Hello pet battlers!

I haven't played wow in a long time, I used to be pretty active at pet battling around two years ago.

My masterpiece team used to be a crazy control one: C. Claw, Mulgore Hatchling + Scalded Basilisk. About 90%+ win rate. except when something missed like: Curse or grip. Now that I'm back into business, I've noticed that almost every single ability in that team has been nerfed ... So my question is:

Is there, at the moment, a team(s) with such incredibly good synergy/affinity/game dynamics as the one I used to play with?

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Synergic Team

Post by Poofah » November 5th, 2014, 2:19 pm

Beast_mast0r wrote:Is there, at the moment, a team(s) with such incredibly good synergy/affinity/game dynamics as the one I used to play with?
If you mean synergy, then maybe; but if you mean power level, then no. Feign Death was rather silly at 5 round cd, and many control abilities from back then have had their cooldowns increased (Feign, Decoy, Death Grip, Sweep/Nether Gate), and they've also added Resilience to counteract chain-CC. You can't make a team any more that can control the opponent as much or as often as your old one.

If you want to play around with some control pets, there's quite a few good ones despite the relatively lower power level. SS Fiendish Imp, Chi-Chi, SS Bronze Whelpling, maybe a Blizzard team with some combo of Kun-Lai Runt/Rotten Little Helper/Tiny Snowman, maybe Mr. Bigglesworth, and Minefield goes well in this sort of team (e.g. Warbot). If you like unpredictable control abilities then Direhorns and Lil Ragnaros can be pretty strong (and annoying), along with Frog Kiss and Sleeping Gas pets. But you absolutely will not be able to make your opponent helpless for multiple turns at a time any more, which makes it harder to get by with a pure control team--most teams give up on all-out control for some damage.

*edit* If you want the du jour 'synergy' team, it's a Cyclone pet (Blighthawk usually) plus Jademist Dancer (for Raindance), plus a sweeper. In general, 2 AoE pets plus a sweeper is very strong right now (Fossilized Hatchling, PP Blackfuse Bombling, Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, etc for AoE pets; SS Bronze Whelpling or a moth or whatever for the sweeper).

Beast_mast0r

Post by Beast_mast0r » November 6th, 2014, 6:43 am

It was all about control and tricking the opponent haha,

I get what you say about the AoE dmg. It seems that such style has become popular due to the Valkyr's haunt: "I am dead you cannot damage me and you are already cursed .. yolo derp!". If you can't dmg the guy (like with ragnaros or turnip) almost only option is to dmg the backline. I think an alternative could have been to "tank it" or to use it as a buffing/setting up opportunity :twisted: . Anyway, now the Valkyr has been nerfed so I guess there is no need to come up with a master strategy to counter it anymore.

You got it right by the way, with the minefield, that was my team-B when people started copying the C. claw one, luls. But the ability now has FIVE round CD ... damnit!!

I am still familiarizing with the new pets, as usual Blizz trying to "drive" the metagame (e.g. SC2). However there will always people ahead of em!

Thanks Poofah for you answer, I has helped me catch up faster with the current "metagame". *Thumbsup*!!

Beast_mast0r

Post by Beast_mast0r » November 6th, 2014, 6:45 am

I'm thinking of using Mudslide, somehow ... I've yet to come up with a set up though :D

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » November 6th, 2014, 7:34 am

Look at the new [pet]Bronze Whelpling[/pet], should tickle your fancy.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » November 7th, 2014, 7:04 am

There are still some old synergies that still work today. For example:

Use a Nexus Whelpling, or other pet with Arcane Storm. Then you can either switch or when the Whelpling dies move into a Blighthawk and use the powerfu Ghoslty Bite without any risk of getting stunned yourself. I have faced opponents with Murkalot doing the same thing with Fallig Murloc.

Clockwork Gnome is still powerful if combined with a damage buff like Black Claw/Wild Magic. And possibly with Plagued Blood for healing.

Darkness teams just got a new addition with Widget. It can be very useful combined with Crow/Skull/Raven etc. Though I use it quite alot on it's own. I just love bringing pain to Darkness birds and other flying pets.

Beast_mast0r

Post by Beast_mast0r » November 7th, 2014, 6:49 pm

I'm still getting used to the "new pets and comps". I was skeptic but they are better itemized and have powerful abilities ... all in all, improved design :], It is interesting how they release new pets that counter each other, look like a clear: "get new pets or get obliterated". Now the RNG is in the dmg ... alive with 1 hp and such, lol.

"Old teams" might work, but it's way harder to win nowadays, with their key abilities nerfed and new pet with new "OP" abilities/combos. Another problem is that everyone seems to be using add-ons to track you abilities and the like. People are clearly getting more skilled :roll: ... or at least getting used to certain abilities/strats.

For what I've seen, the metagames indeed tends to use AoE dmg, Dots and Valkyrs, Bonkers, the new mechanicals. Now it feels more like rock-paper-scissors, BUT I'm confident that there is still room for "skill".

btw it would be nice if they implemented a random pet queue, so you queue without knowing which pets you are getting(assuming you have more than 100, let's say) . A fun fact is that only certain weather effects last 5 rounds ...

GLHF!

Oddjob
Pet Score:3793
Realm:Eldre'Thalas-us

Post by Oddjob » November 7th, 2014, 7:37 pm

I don't know if this is an old synergy, but I've had some success (and failure, too, against the wrong lineup) with a pet that can cast Sunlight (turnip, sunflower) and Corefire Imp with Immolation and Cauterize. It's a humanoid so every application of Immolation, even from the back line, heals it, double with Sunlight. And double Cauterize is also very nice.

Beast_mast0r

Post by Beast_mast0r » November 8th, 2014, 5:22 am

Old it should be, since I was doing a similar one (taking advantage of the humanoid racial) two years ago. I started playing again last night and after a couple games last night. Back in 2012 you couldn't see the pets' names, but now you can so it's easier to spot people "adapting".
I think I still see the some of same faces I fought back then h0h0h0. By the way, sunlight has more utility that it looks like, but it is a very predictable playstyle, and only few people uses it. At least now, it affects the flower's HPs as well :D .