PvP Pet Battling

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Sibi
Top Rater
Pet Score:10062
BattleTag®:sibylline#1481
Realm:Emerald Dream-us
PvP Pet Battling

Post by Sibi » November 4th, 2014, 10:44 pm

Google fails to deliver the information I seek. (Rather I probably fail at searching the right terms to return the information I seek.)

I haven't messed with PvP pet battling...well in longer than I can even remember...well over a year.

How does the queue system work? I see you guys talking about your servers "meta". What's this mean? Do you only queue in to people from your server? Do set groups of servers queue in to each other? If so, which servers? What are queue times like on High pop and low pop servers (if server matters at all)?
Any other information you can throw at me would be helpful.

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Re: PvP Pet Battling

Post by Iibis » November 5th, 2014, 3:24 am

I think player accounts are assigned to a certain meta, since pet battles are account wide, it doesn't matter which server your characters are on (so you can't get away from someone by changing servers and doing pvp battles with a different character). I noticed this when I was trying to do the "queue with an odd team with your friend so you should be matched against each other", but despite having a 30 minute wait in the queue, we weren't in the same meta and couldn't face each other. Despite being in the same server and literally playing in the same room. Did some digging and found that answer.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Re: PvP Pet Battling

Post by Kpb321 » November 5th, 2014, 11:56 am

The "Meta" is basically what's popular in the PVP battles you are seeing or the "environment" you are playing in.

A good example is that until the last patch the Unborn Valk and Death Adder Hatchling was an extremely popular combo with a variety of different options for the third pet. You could have a great team but if it was weak against that combo of pets you'd do very poorly in PvP. If you wanted to do well in that "Meta" you needed to have a team that could handle the Valk/DAH well. The Valk got nurfed a bit in the 6.02 patch so shouldn't be as popular anymore so you shouldn't see it as much so the meta has changed.