Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling - bug?!

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12239
Realm:Stormrage-us
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling - bug?!

Post by Chibimage » October 31st, 2014, 9:07 am

Did you guys notice it?

No more 592 single hits, hahah. It's back to being spread out over all 3 pets.

It was acting really weird though, to be honest. 197 to each pet when all 3 were up. But ~290 when 2 were up and ~290 when 1 was up.

They are clearly trying to fix it - I wonder how it will play out.
Last edited by Chibimage on October 31st, 2014, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helbrecht
Pet Score:4274
Realm:Eldre'Thalas-us

Re: Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling - nerf!

Post by Helbrecht » October 31st, 2014, 9:29 am

I haven't had much chance to pet battle the last few days, but it's probably good it was nerfed (and I say that as a regular MPD user). Bringing out a full-health mech with a huge nuke and decoy at the end of the game was quite OP.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » October 31st, 2014, 9:40 am

Not sure what you are on about, id advise you to doublecheck it. Just tested it EU side. Thunderbolt splits evenly depending on number of enemies still. doing a 592 hit on a single foe.

Also watch for weakenesses and strenghts. I hazard that you missed something.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » October 31st, 2014, 10:41 am

I just tested it US side and it is still working the same in terms of damage split as before(197x3, 296x2, 600+x1 ...sorry had exposed wounds on that last one). Perhaps Chibimage was referring to how it worked vs decoy?

EDIT: Checked it versus Decoy. Still only counting as one hit vs decoy, so no change there.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Sellys
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Sellys » October 31st, 2014, 2:39 pm

Probably had a -50% damage reduction ability up when it was a single target or something.

Chibimage
Top Rater

Post by Chibimage » October 31st, 2014, 3:31 pm

Nope. No debuffs, nothing of the sort. I'm an extremely experienced pet battler.

I just finished out my 10/10 this week with 10 wins 0 losses with the Clonedance team (which wrecks right now because Cyclone hits 100% of the time)

And sure enough, my pocket MPD isn't hitting for 592 anymore on the last pet. Just 290. Any team, any battle, multiple times.

I've already requested logging of the pet battle log so we can begin sending these incongruencies in to the devs. Hopefully we'll be able to soon, or that it's even possible.

Remember folks, just because you aren't experiencing something, doesn't negate the person who *is* experiencing something.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206

Post by Poofah » October 31st, 2014, 4:08 pm

Cyclone is behaving normally as far as I can tell. It's hitting 1 in 3 pets roughly over a bunch of fights. With Raindance it hits a lot, as expected, but not 100% -- I've had it miss multiple times.

But Thunderbolt is acting strangely. I've had it hit a lone pet for 296 or 197, which would be the right value for 2 pets or 3 pets. So far I have no idea what might be causing it. I'm going to test Avalanche next.

*edit*

Ok I tested Avalanche. It has the same problem. And they are clearly linked. The bug doesn't crop up often, but when it does, it remains consistent within that fight and for both abilities. Ie, if you get the opposing team to 1 pet, then Thunderbolt will *usually* do 592 dmg. But sometimes it will do 296 or 197. If it does 296, then you can swap in a Brewpup, and Avalanche will do 309 instead of the expected 618. And you can swap back and forth between MPD and Brewpup and they will continue to do the incorrect 2-pet dmg to the single opponent pet.

Clearly these abilities are incorrectly calculating the number of opponent pets in particular circumstances, and the error they make is consistent and systematic. I have still not figured out what those circumstances are.

*edit2*

Arcane Storm is behaving the same way, and is consistent with Avalanche/Thunderbolt within a battle.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » October 31st, 2014, 6:18 pm

Hmmm...still not able to reproduce it here. Been trying for a while. Can yall map out your exact teams/abilities and how the fight goes? Is it pvp only, pve only, or both pvp and pve?

I've been doing pve and all I have been doing is using decoy + thunderbolt, then breath till the first pet dies. pass till I can thunderbolt, thunderbolt, breath till second pet dies, swap to another pet to take some damage until Thunderbolt is off cooldown, swap back to the MPD and use thunderbolt. Tried it against various wild pets but so far haven't had it act weird.

Chibimage, not trying to negate you, just providing data. I am curious what triggers it.

Poofah

Post by Poofah » October 31st, 2014, 7:09 pm

[url=http://imgur.com/qEQ7HRU,tWarxpo,NtEfpzR,Cux4dYz,IaiDsbm]http://imgur.com/qEQ7HRU,tWarxpo,NtEfpzR,Cux4dYz,IaiDsbm[/url]

Here's a couple screenshots with partial combat logs. SS 1 and 3 are Thunderbolt doing 2-pet dmg to a single opponent pet, the last 2 are Cyclone so you can ignore those. SS#2 is Arcane Storm behaving normally (btw did you notice that it now does +25% dmg if ArcStorm is already up?).

I did these on the critters in Vot4W. I had to fight a bunch to get it to happen. I have no idea what triggers it, some of those fights are only ~7 rounds, and the only ability I used prior to Thunderbolt was Thrash on an eagle chick. Even in that circumstance, it would only happen rarely. So maybe the opponent pet abilities are causing it?

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » October 31st, 2014, 7:23 pm

I noticed in the screenshot that the 195 was due to a weak hit to a critter (still wrong on the split damage). Are you sure all of the sub 295/296 hits weren't against critters?

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling - bug!

Post by Luciandk » October 31st, 2014, 9:18 pm

Should probably fix the topic of this thread to bug. As its clearly a faulty damage calculation going on. And not something fishy on Blizzard's side.

Chibimage
Top Rater

Post by Chibimage » October 31st, 2014, 9:55 pm

I can change it.

It was always in pvp -- and my Cyclone's *do* hit 100% of the time, it's ridiculously OP. I cannot be that lucky, it's been 2 straight weeklies of it (over the past Sun-Fri).

Also no Jere it wasn't critters - as that would say (weak) and be quite obvious. It was against anything, any type of pet.

The Thunderbolt was still doing it's same weird thing tonight. It's only exclusively in PvP I do not even use the MPD in PVE (except on Feasel) so yeah. I usually bring him out first and Decoy, then either Thunderbolt or Breath & Thunderbolt after. Sometimes I'd decoy and swap in a new pet. Sometimes I'd be RI'd (I was trying a Murkalot team with Grommloc and MPD) and get off a RI'd Thunderbolt but alas, it never did the 592 slamma on the last pet.

If it is a bug that crops up conditionally, whatever the condition is, I must do it every time :)

Poofah

Re: Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling - bug?!

Post by Poofah » October 31st, 2014, 10:07 pm

Jerebear wrote:I noticed in the screenshot that the 195 was due to a weak hit to a critter (still wrong on the split damage). Are you sure all of the sub 295/296 hits weren't against critters?
I also got incorrect 296 hits against a lone turtle, just didn't SS it. Should have mentioned that. The critter thing is probably a red herring.

I used Avalanche extensively in 5.4 and never noticed this behavior, though obviously I can't say with 100% certainty it wasn't there. But in ~30 fights in Vot4W I got Avalanche/Thunderbolt/ArcStorm to bug like this maybe 4-5 times. If one of them is bugged in a particular fight, then all of them are. It's as though the game itself has lost track of how many opponent pets there are.
Chibimage wrote:my Cyclone's *do* hit 100% of the time, it's ridiculously OP. I cannot be that lucky, it's been 2 straight weeklies of it (over the past Sun-Fri).
I have a couple screenshots of Cyclone not hitting all 3 pets with Raindance active, you can have a look, [url=http://imgur.com/qEQ7HRU,tWarxpo,NtEfpzR,Cux4dYz,IaiDsbm#3]here[/url] and [url=http://imgur.com/qEQ7HRU,tWarxpo,NtEfpzR,Cux4dYz,IaiDsbm#4]here[/url]. Maybe you really are that lucky.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » October 31st, 2014, 11:41 pm

Chibimage wrote: Also no Jere it wasn't critters - as that would say (weak) and be quite obvious. It was against anything, any type of pet.
That comment was more for poofah's images which did depict the (weak). That's why I specified sub 295/296 hits for the comment.