What pets have the most balanced spread of ability types?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Onska
What pets have the most balanced spread of ability types?

Post by Onska » December 4th, 2012, 6:06 pm

I noticed that Nether Ray Fry is remarkably balanced. He has an attack that is strong against everything except for Beast, Dragonkin, Undead, and Elemental (hopefully I'm not missing anything here). Seeing that got me wondering if I could make a perfectly or near perfectly balanced team for leveling. Are there any other pets with as balanced a skill set as the Ray? Particularly ones that would offset his weaknesses?
Last edited by Onska on December 5th, 2012, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Re: What's the most balanced pet lineup for leveling?

Post by Poofah » December 4th, 2012, 7:21 pm

For leveling in the wild, you will run into a vast majority of critters, beasts, some aquatics and flyers, and everything else will come in small pockets that are probably fairly rare. Master Tamers also tend to have this sort of mixture, with a few specialty teams you need to watch out for--for example there's an all-mechanical team at lvl 20 or 21, and an all-undead team at lvl 24 or 25 (plus a team with 2 undeads at lvl 19), and a few tamers have dragonkin. So, you don't necessarily need to have a perfectly balanced lineup. I leveled with a handful of pets the first time around -- Magical Crawdad (strong against critters), Emerald Whelpling (super strong against flyers), and the third flipped between Crimson Whelpling and various pets I caught along the way. A frog ended up being very useful for the undead fights, I used a moth a lot for all the beasts out there, and I didn't need a specific counter-pet for the dragons or mechs.

Onska

Re: What pets have the most balanced spread of ability types

Post by Onska » December 5th, 2012, 12:07 am

Reworded title to better suggest what I was looking for. Sorry Im bad at words. *re bumb*

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » December 5th, 2012, 11:46 am

Onska wrote:I noticed that Nether Ray Fry is remarkably balanced. He has an attack that is strong against everything except for Beast, Dragonkin, Undead, and Elemental (hopefully I'm not missing anything here). Seeing that got me wondering if I could make a perfectly or near perfectly balanced team for leveling. Are there any other pets with as balanced a skill set as the Ray? Particularly ones that would offset his weaknesses?
1) Considering pets have 3 abilities, the best scenario would be to have strong attacks against 3 of the 10 families, leaving 7 against which the pet would have no strong ability against. Maybe you were counting all 6 abilities to come down to that conclusion? Anywho..

2) Oozes have quite a variety of attack types too, they're interesting pets

3) You mentioned leveling, so like Poofah said, you're probably better off aiming for abilities that are good against Flying, Aquatic, Beast and Critters, since they count for like 90% of all wild pets out there. I wouldn't worry about the other types, unless you're tring to build a PVP team or building a team for specific world trainers.

4) If it is for leveling, Fluxfire Feline can either deal 2000-3000 damage to a beast after 3 rounds, or like 1500 to a critter after 3 rounds as well. Making him both efficient and versatile for battling wild pets.

5) If you're wanting to build a pvp team, it could be interesting to see a team that, together, have strong attacks against 9 of the 10 types. Doesn't mean the team would be good, but it would be quite versatile that's for sure. Not sure it's actually possible to do though, would require some intense research XD

Wynn
Pet Score:5568
Realm:Runetotem-us

Post by Wynn » December 5th, 2012, 1:48 pm

King is Nether Ray Fry

It has attacks from 6 schools
Healer that loves Cheesecake, Taiboku - Nall - Ronfa