my combat trio

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Echinacea
Pet Score:10214
Realm:Ravencrest-us
my combat trio

Post by Echinacea » August 15th, 2014, 1:23 pm

currently, the only 25th level pets i have are an H/H chrominus, an H/B darkmoon zeppelin and an H/S pandaren water spirit.

i usually just use chrominus...open with surge of power then AOE magic the team and heal at half health. the zeppelins rocket is powerful though!

i have finished kalimdor, eastern kingdoms and outland....about to start doing northrend pet masters.

anything in particular i should add or watch out for?

Echinacea

Re: my combat trio

Post by Echinacea » August 15th, 2014, 5:47 pm

well crap, i cant beat orkrut dragonwaste with this trio....looks like ill have to level some others per the guide

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » August 15th, 2014, 9:58 pm

You are at the point where you can capture high-level pets in Pandaria, and that will save you time leveling them. Okrut and 1-2 other Northrend tamers have tough undead pets, so you'd love to have a rabbit with >300 speed, and they're all over Kun-Lai. A Leopard Tree Frog (jade forest) would be another good choice. If you can capture a lvl 25 version of Emperor Crab (dread wastes) that will also be useful. The last Northrend tamer is the really tough one, Major Payne: your Zepp can handle his first pet, your Water Spirit can probably handle the 2nd, but you will definitely need something for his last pet (elemental) -- a crab is pretty good.

Sepsis
Pet Score:4668
BattleTag®:Kaivic#1622
Realm:Gnomeregan-us

Post by Sepsis » August 16th, 2014, 5:24 am

I'll second the recommendations from Poofah, especially the Emperor Crab (I prefer P/P). So much use, I actually got a backup.
I think a Swamp Croaker (from IoT) is worth considering, while it lacks a heal it does have [ability]Bubble[/ability].

I would throw in an Electrified Razortooth (also from IoT), its great against Mayor Payne's Beakmaster and Bloom and I've found plenty of use for it versus other trainers.

Echinacea

Post by Echinacea » August 16th, 2014, 7:36 am

my toon is 77 at the moment and doing pugs as often as i can while doing these pet trainers and levelling pets. Great idea about catching high level wilds....i have so many at 4th level that itll take ages to get the proper pets levelled up.

Tuatha
Top Rater
Pet Score:3297
BattleTag®:tuatha#1660
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Tuatha » August 17th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Since you're at the point where you'll be wanting to level a lot of pets, it's worth noting that many trainers can be beaten with 2 pets while using the 3rd slot for a carry pet to level. As much as a pain as Payne can be, he can be 2-petted. I've had the least amount of frustration using a Corefire Imp 2/1/1 and a s/s Cogblade Raptor 2/2/1. I'd recommend trying to get those pets to 25 to take advantage of the bonus xp trainers give.

Beyond that, I've found the Anubisath Idol and p/p Emerald Proto-Whelp to be a useful 2-pet team against virtually all of the Pandarian trainers, so leveling them now will help in the future. Then you can use them to level other helpful pve pets like the Darkmoon Tonk, Zandalari Raptors and others to make the Pandaria pet trainers faster and more consistent (Idol+Whelp is good, but slow).

Corefire Imp and Anubisath Idol are vanilla raid drops that can also be purchased at the AH (Corefire for cheap, Idol for around 2k last I checked). The raptor and whelp are wild battles in BC and Wrath.

Echinacea

Post by Echinacea » August 18th, 2014, 1:28 pm

Tuatha wrote:Since you're at the point where you'll be wanting to level a lot of pets, it's worth noting that many trainers can be beaten with 2 pets while using the 3rd slot for a carry pet to level. As much as a pain as Payne can be, he can be 2-petted. I've had the least amount of frustration using a Corefire Imp 2/1/1 and a s/s Cogblade Raptor 2/2/1. I'd recommend trying to get those pets to 25 to take advantage of the bonus xp trainers give.

Beyond that, I've found the Anubisath Idol and p/p Emerald Proto-Whelp to be a useful 2-pet team against virtually all of the Pandarian trainers, so leveling them now will help in the future. Then you can use them to level other helpful pve pets like the Darkmoon Tonk, Zandalari Raptors and others to make the Pandaria pet trainers faster and more consistent (Idol+Whelp is good, but slow).

Corefire Imp and Anubisath Idol are vanilla raid drops that can also be purchased at the AH (Corefire for cheap, Idol for around 2k last I checked). The raptor and whelp are wild battles in BC and Wrath.
i levelled quite a number of pets to 25 this weekend. i managed to take out major pain....strand crab and darkmoon zeppelin were essential. ive defeated the first cataclysm master but cant figure out how to get to deepholm to the second without going through a huge quest line. is there an easy way there?

Echinacea

Post by Echinacea » August 18th, 2014, 1:30 pm

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » August 18th, 2014, 5:51 pm

Echinacea wrote:i levelled quite a number of pets to 25 this weekend. i managed to take out major pain....strand crab and darkmoon zeppelin were essential. ive defeated the first cataclysm master but cant figure out how to get to deepholm to the second without going through a huge quest line. is there an easy way there?
You could have a warlock summon you to Deepholm BUT it only takes 1 quest to open the portal, so you really should just do it. That one quest will take you less time than the master tamer battle there. :)

Echinacea

Post by Echinacea » August 19th, 2014, 3:05 pm

Peanutty wrote:
Echinacea wrote:i levelled quite a number of pets to 25 this weekend. i managed to take out major pain....strand crab and darkmoon zeppelin were essential. ive defeated the first cataclysm master but cant figure out how to get to deepholm to the second without going through a huge quest line. is there an easy way there?
You could have a warlock summon you to Deepholm BUT it only takes 1 quest to open the portal, so you really should just do it. That one quest will take you less time than the master tamer battle there. :)
thanks....i just looked it up and i was confusing it with the underwater zone. i need to be 82 to get the quest....a level away