Down To The Serious Ones

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us
Down To The Serious Ones

Post by Kel » July 15th, 2014, 12:11 pm

So I've pretty much collected all the wild pets and vendor pets that you can easily obtain. Now I'm down to the rep grind pets, dungeon drop pets and stuff like that. This is where it gets hard. How do you guys find the desire to grind out endless rep? The dungeon stuff will be tough because I rarely play in groups and I really basically never raid. So those are going to be a chore. :?
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Wowpetbattler
Top Rater
Pet Score:4269
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Re: Down To The Serious Ones

Post by Wowpetbattler » July 15th, 2014, 12:33 pm

Are you going for Raiding with Leashes (I and II)? If you have a level 90 then all those Classic and Cata dungeons shouldn't be that hard for you. Just search this site for more information about the pets obtained through these old raids. I run most of them every week - not because I need the pets, but because I'm either looking for replacement/upgrade pet breeds or looking to sell pets on the AH.

Do you have the Zookeeper title yet? If not, then you haven't collected all the wild pets and still may have some work to do there. Remember, some of those wild pets are seasonal or weather condition based.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » July 15th, 2014, 1:40 pm

I don't remember there being lots of Rep grinds for pets but that might be because I had most of them from playing since vanilla WoW. The only one I recall having to do was the Argent Squire as I primarily play horde which required leveling up a Alliance character and doing the Argent Tourney dailies but that only took about a week once I hit 77 and could start doing the dailies.

I don't think there really is a right answer here as it is what ever works for you. Focus on one so you can get it done and accomplish something. Work on them all a little bit at a time so you don't get tired of grinding a particular one. Buy drops to turn in for factions where you can or don't depending on how much gold you have to spend and what your AH looks like. Most of the old rep grinds should be easier now than when they were current if from nothing else other than fact that your much higher level now than when we were doing them at the time but in a lot of cases it was actually made either. You get more rep from things or for longer.

For the pets that are drops from Dungeons/Raids unless it's a dungeon you can solo yourself I still think the best option is buying them. The drop rate is so low that even if you are doing raids odds are you'll never get all of them as drops. If you are on a lower pop server that hasn't been connected you'll probably need to start pet trading and building up gold to buy pets on another server that has a higher population. That's what I did since my low pop rp server still hasn't been connected.

Kel

Post by Kel » July 15th, 2014, 2:23 pm

Wowpetbattler wrote:Are you going for Raiding with Leashes (I and II)? . . .
Done 8-)
Wowpetbattler wrote:Do you have the Zookeeper title yet? . . .
Done 8-)
Kpb321 wrote:I don't remember there being lots of Rep grinds for pets but that might be because I had most of them from playing since vanilla WoW. . .
I think my first focus will be the Oracles since there's like 4 from them. I cheated and snagged Pengu off the AH for like 200gold. I still haven't done the Hyjal rep grind for those two because it just seems crazy long. So maybe Oracles will be the first focus.

It's just hard at this point to maintain dedication.
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » July 15th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Most of the rep based pets are purchasable from the AH or from a friendly pet trader. Spend your time making gold and doing what you like to do. The pets will follow!
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » July 15th, 2014, 3:18 pm

Assuming you are referring to

Cobra Hatchling
Proto-Drake Whelp
Tickbird Hatchling
White Tickbird Hatchling

I'd say don't bother with the rep. They are all cagable and non should cost over 1k. I'd have to do some digging to figure out where I left them but I'm pretty sure I have at least both the tickbirds and maybe a cobra hatchling that I could give you because they haven't been worth my effort to try to sell.

Kel

Post by Kel » July 15th, 2014, 4:11 pm

Yea, I guess the AH is a good way to get them. Now I just need to figure out a good way to make more gold.

And if you have some extras of those Oracle pets, I'd be glad to take them off your hands! I'm only missing the White Tickbird. 8-)
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » July 15th, 2014, 5:44 pm

I probably have one someplace but I'd have to find it because I basically considered it not worth the effort to try to sell and caged it on a random pet related toon that's parked at an AH on some server or sitting in front of a trainer someplace. If I find it i'll let you know.

Kel

Post by Kel » July 15th, 2014, 6:42 pm

LOL! Sounds like you have way too many pets! ;)
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » July 15th, 2014, 7:11 pm

Before I collected battle pets (I originally refused to do pet battles at all) I collected reputations, so rep grind is pretty easy for me. I have around 70 exalted reps right now. I'd recommend setting a daily or weekly goal for whatever rep you're working on (i.e. 1k rep a day) and simply chipping away at it until you're done.

The Oracles pets are really super cheap on most realms, like 5g a piece for the tickbirds. The proto-drake goes for a bit more but usually not more than a few hundred.

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » July 15th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Kel wrote:LOL! Sounds like you have way too many pets! ;)

Well. According to my profile here I've got 587 unique pets and 832 pets total with dupes. On top of that I've got a number of pets that are for sale on assorted auction houses and even more that are caged on this toon or that toon that I can't learn because I've already got three of them or they just aren't worth trying to sell.

EDIT
found a couple tickbirds but no white tickbirds so I might not have any laying around. Sorry =)

Hermy
Top Rater
Pet Score:10379
BattleTag®:Hermy#1783
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Hermy » July 16th, 2014, 7:28 am

I've got a White Tickbird spare if you are on a US server. :D

The only other rep one that I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned is the Nether Ray Fry, from Sha'Tari Skyguard rep. That's not a lot of fun to grind. :cry:

I really need to get off my butt and level an Alliance toon so I can get the [pet]Argent Squire[/pet].

Triara
Pet Score:2965
Realm:Hellscream-eu

Post by Triara » July 16th, 2014, 8:50 am

On getting pets for the other faction from Argent Tournament - if you can't get them off the AH, wait until WoD, the AH will be joined then. No need to level a char just for that.

Hermy
Top Rater
Pet Score:10379
BattleTag®:Hermy#1783
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Hermy » July 16th, 2014, 9:46 am

Argent Squire/Gruntling are not tradable, so unfortunately you do have to have a character from each faction to get both.

Kel

Post by Kel » July 16th, 2014, 10:49 am

Hermy wrote:I've got a White Tickbird spare if you are on a US server. :D

. . .
Yes I am! 8-)

Oh yea, I had sort of forgotten about the joined AH in WoD, that will solve a lot of issues there. I still have a couple Argent Tourney pets to get, I better get on those too.

I usually try to stay away from the AH due to lack of gold, so if I can grind em, I usually do.
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington

Beana
Top Rater
Pet Score:13370
BattleTag®:Beana#1484
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Beana » July 16th, 2014, 11:35 am

I know this opinion changes amongst pet collectors. I personally feel that getting off the AH isn't cheating. Sure if you want to save money, or you're just oriented to collect it yourself. I just don't feel that the AH is cheating if you have the cash and NO time for rep grinding.

Beana
Top Rater
Pet Score:13370
BattleTag®:Beana#1484
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Beana » July 16th, 2014, 11:38 am

Also to add to that, there are some rep pets you simply have to grind out unless you have a really nice friend. I for one am still grinding (or praying for a nice friend) to get a Sumprush Rodent.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » July 16th, 2014, 2:39 pm

Dakaf wrote:Most of the rep based pets are purchasable from the AH or from a friendly pet trader. Spend your time making gold and doing what you like to do. The pets will follow!

Actually, apart from Argent squire/gruntling and the mini celestials, I'm struggling to think of any non-wild pet that cannot be bought from the AH. It really is by far the easiest way to acquire some of the pets, and there are plenty of tips on here for ways to raise the gold. If you are really insistent on grinding for them, though, you'll need lots of patience because they're gonna take a while! Remember most people did those grinds over the course of months and years. Trying to bang them out in weeks is gonna be painful.

That's the best advice I can give really. Tried to be nice - didn't want to scare you off again. ;)

Kel

Post by Kel » July 16th, 2014, 2:47 pm

Beana wrote:. . . I just don't feel that the AH is cheating if you have the cash and NO time for rep grinding.
Yea, I don't really have a problem with that. My problem has been that I'm by no means a gold farmer, and with the x-pack due out soon I'm finding the current AH very difficult to make any gold on. The crafted items I use to sell for good profit are selling for crap now, or they just sit on the AH for months on end. So farming may be required unless the market changes and I can figure out how to make gold again.
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington