Howl Bomb Variations

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us
Re: Howl Bomb Variations

Post by Peanutty » July 8th, 2014, 10:58 pm

Instead of Unborn Val'kyr I use Ghostly Skull. And howl can be cast by foxes too, though I generally use Chrominius for that part.

Pandaren Water Spirit is the only pet in that set up that I haven't found a replacement for.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » July 9th, 2014, 1:26 pm

Thing is that you get a free swap from using haunt, which is what makes the valkyr so good as an opener.

Chrominius is just the best howler out there, because he can followup with a surge of power as an one-two punch to KO the opponent.

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » July 9th, 2014, 5:52 pm

Maybe I'm confused, but when I use this sort of strategy I open with Unholy Ascension and not Haunt, so that's why I suggested Ghostly Skull. So: Unholy Ascension, swap, Geyser, Whirlpool, swap, Howl, Surge of Power if needed.

Edited to confirm that you don't rez after UA. But this strategy does still work, even if not optimal.
Last edited by Peanutty on July 9th, 2014, 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » July 9th, 2014, 6:04 pm

UA isn't really needed and doesn't really work well since they changed it. It used to be that you could use UA, get your rez round and use doom. Then Swap to the Water spirit drop his two and then swap to Chromie and howl and Doom, Geyser and Whirlpool would all hit. With you no longer getting a rez round when using UA you can no longer get that. Water Ele and Chromi is really all you need.

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Kel » July 9th, 2014, 6:21 pm

Kpb321 wrote:. . . Water Ele and Chromi is really all you need.
Yea, that's all I've been doing too. That sounds like a ton of work to set up a 3rd pet's attack! I'm tired just from reading that! :shock:
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » July 9th, 2014, 7:57 pm

Peanutty wrote:Maybe I'm confused, but when I use this sort of strategy I open with Unholy Ascension and not Haunt, so that's why I suggested Ghostly Skull. So: Unholy Ascension, swap, Geyser, Whirlpool, swap, Howl, Surge of Power if needed.

Edited to confirm that you don't rez after UA. But this strategy does still work, even if not optimal.
Actually, you can rez after UA under certain conditions. Basically (in PvE mostly), if you select UA on the same round that your opponent kills your valk and your opponent's pet is faster, it will kill your valk triggering the undead racial. Then the valk will cast UA but since the undead racial is already active, it won't die. Next round you can use CoD.

I make use of this on Zao:
R1-R3: Shadow Slash
R4: UA (Zao kills valk first)
R5: CoD (undead round)
R6+: basic Howl Bomb strat from here.

It is very limited where you can use it.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » July 10th, 2014, 2:01 pm

Peanutty wrote:Edited to confirm that you don't rez after UA. But this strategy does still work, even if not optimal.
It can rez after UA. Your Unborn just has to die before it gets off the UA. So, new round after choosing UA, if they go first and kill you, you'll rez then cast UA and the insta death will 'miss' you.

This works for haunt as well, which is freakin' annoying in PVP pet battles.

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » July 10th, 2014, 4:20 pm

Kendrah wrote:It can rez after UA. Your Unborn just has to die before it gets off the UA.
Jerebear wrote:Actually, you can rez after UA under certain conditions.
Yes, you're both correct. I made a mess of my own post. :oops:

What I meant (and hopefully I worded it all right this time) was that by using UA as the opening move for a bomb/one-shot strategy, your Skull/Val'kyr won't come back.

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » July 10th, 2014, 5:23 pm

The Water Spirit is the only one with the Geyser/Whirlpool combo, so that is the one pet you must have for this set up.

Using a Skull (so UA w/o Doom) works exactly the same, you just use UA right at the start and of course you'll miss out on the damage from Doom. It still works fine without it. I use Skull, Water Spirit and Chrominius for the Chi-Chi part of the tourney and I think the only time I failed using that set up was something like the Water Spirit getting crit to death prematurely.

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Kel » July 10th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Seems like a lot of work still. I've been doing the CT with just the Water Spirit / Chrominious and then a 3rd pet depending on which pet I'm battling. But more often than not, the only time I need the 3rd pet is against Yu'La. Chrominous manages to knock out the last little bit on the others with that Surge after the bomb goes off.
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » July 10th, 2014, 8:12 pm

Peanutty wrote: I use Skull, Water Spirit and Chrominius for the Chi-Chi part of the tourney and I think the only time I failed using that set up was something like the Water Spirit getting crit to death prematurely.
If you switch to just Water Spirit and Chi-Chi (drop the skull), then Chi-Chi cannot crit kill you.
R1 Geyser
R2 Whirlpool
R3 Swap to Chrominius (Chi-Chi ethereals)
R4 Howl
R5 Surge (Chi-Chi dies)

Chi chi can only get attacks off during rounds R2 and R4 and each of those is a different pet, so even if Chi-Chi crits, it won't kill a pet (assuming you come in at full health).
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829