Unborn corpses really?!

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us
Unborn corpses really?!

Post by Kendrah » June 23rd, 2014, 12:37 pm

I just went up against a team that had a unborn and two other pets with the heal [ability]consume corpse[/ability]. Now, this guy basically used unborn to haunt then used that corpse to basically heal his party over and over again with the consume corpse. That ability apparently makes each new haunt equals a new corpse for them to consume so he basically switched between them until the Unborn un-died. So, it was like haunt, pick one pet, hit me until unborn had one round on haunt left, consumed corpse, switched to Unborn, haunt again, go with other pet. Rinse and repeat.

Isn't this an exploit of that ability?! For the love of gawd, say it's so!

Now, because I know ya'll will say NO! IT AIN'T while thinking 'cry moar bad pvp pet battler,' :lol: the real reason for this thread is to ask how to combat this? I had blocks but they all had a longer CD than consume corpse so I just conceded. Darkness would've probably helped but I rarely run with a crow/raven in my party (what? I'd like to say it's because I'm an individual, but in reality, I'm just a bad battler.) I'm just looking for general advice.

Thanks! <3

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Re: Unborn corpses really?!

Post by Maizing » June 23rd, 2014, 1:03 pm

I would bet that this is an exploit... and I bet that Blizzard is unaware that it is even possible.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » June 23rd, 2014, 2:46 pm

Aquatics do well against undead and rabbits eat them for lunch the spring rabbit just loves to see teams like this.
So a team of say toothy, spring rabbit and either a death adder or valk of yourself does the trick.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » June 23rd, 2014, 3:25 pm

I'm not sure if I would call it an exploit or not. I haven't seen anything from blizzard that says it should or shouldn't behave this way and in a simplistic way this actually seems right. When the Unborn valk is dead it's dead. Buffs/debuffs don't count down, you loose the match if your other two pets are dead, etc. In the simplest sense it does die again each time and is a "new" corpse for them to consume.

Any type of frog would be very affective against that as it would take greatly reduced dmg from the Valk and could deal extra dmg with tongue lash. The thing to watch out for would be a blighthawk or dread hatchling as they both have flying attacks that should do a number on an aquatic critter.

Adezero
Pet Score:3572
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Adezero » June 23rd, 2014, 3:48 pm

pretty much just plan around it, if it looks like they're going to consume corpse, just attack, instead of cc.

like, if you're using a DAH, don't blinding poison them on the turn you think they'll consume corpse. Actually, don't blinding poison at all until they have used consume corpse, you will win in that standoff.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » June 23rd, 2014, 4:06 pm

Digem wrote:Aquatics do well against undead and rabbits eat them for lunch the spring rabbit just loves to see teams like this.
So a team of say toothy, spring rabbit and either a death adder or valk of yourself does the trick.
It wasn't that I wasn't able to get the other team down. I was. And it wasn't a full undead team. The person used the Dread Hatchling so it got the speed bonus back with the heal and he was using Anzu's Blessing whenever it fell of so he used all the hardest hitting spells that were 100% with the blessing.

The major problem I had was that the unborn was only being used to be eaten and that was the glue of the team. I could get maybe a hit in on it but the other guy wasn't even waiting to put doom on me. He'd haunt and then it would go away for four rounds while the hatchling was brought it. It used blessing and bashed me in until it lost the speed bonus then it would consume the corpse. I was getting the pets down and, before I conceded, I'd even gotten the unborn to around 200 hp but it was just a matter of who'd survived longer. I'm bashing away, trying to kill it before it heals, while it's hitting me with it's strongest attacks that don't miss. One miss on my part or a slightly lower hit and the bird would get his speed back. XD

Adezero
Pet Score:3572
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Adezero » June 23rd, 2014, 5:18 pm

ya, fliers that can heal are a huge bitch. I thought you were talking about the common stitched pup and blighthawk

Worgenbait
Top Rater
Pet Score:10000
BattleTag®:Worgenbait#1777
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Worgenbait » June 23rd, 2014, 10:11 pm

I use a varient of that team, only with a stitched pup and a Lil Bling. You want to stop it, I recommend Magical Crawdad for sure, and probably an S/S rabbit and either anouther healer pet, an aquatic with shield, or a sandstorm pet. The crows, I eat those up, darkness rarely works. Quite frankly though, if I see a crawdad, a sandstormer and an aquatic with shield, I just bail. It's not worth the half hour marathon only to lose.

Maleric
Pet Score:486
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Maleric » June 24th, 2014, 8:17 am

If you Sear Magic the Haunt, then the Valk'yr won't be dead anymore so Consume Corpse shouldn't work.

Also, some of the more durable pets with Arcane Blast, e.g. Restless Shadeling, should be able to put a big dent in Dread Hatchling even through Consume Corpse.

Sellys
Pet Score:9122
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Sellys » June 25th, 2014, 1:46 pm

It could have been worse, at least you got to fight back. I ended up facing a Val'kyr/SS DAH/SS Qiraji on the weekend.

I think I got to attack once every 5 rounds.

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » June 25th, 2014, 2:32 pm

I saw that same team and it totally wiped me out. I really hate pet p/p but I want the pet so onward LOL

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » June 25th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Adezero wrote:ya, fliers that can heal are a huge bitch. I thought you were talking about the common stitched pup and blighthawk
It's not a flyer with a heal. It's a flyer with wish. A flyer with super speed, attacks that always hit with the buff, and wish. It's like a god. XD As bad as the magical crawdad is bad, at least it's relatively weak in comparison. It's an effective pet, I'm not saying that, but it does take a while. I really hate seeing a MC with wish in a pvp battle. :lol:
Worgenbait wrote:Quite frankly though, if I see a crawdad, a sandstormer and an aquatic with shield, I just bail. It's not worth the half hour marathon only to lose.
I tried out the team I posted here and got an immediate bail out. It made me feel godly. :lol:
Maleric wrote:If you Sear Magic the Haunt, then the Valk'yr won't be dead anymore so Consume Corpse shouldn't work.
But that'll just create more corpses. Each time it haunts, the corpse is considered a new corpse and thus is able to be consumed. Wouldn't I want to make certain that it's in haunt as long as possible? Seeing as there's only so many blocks to preventing a haunt and haunt itself doesn't have a CD. Every successful haunt is considered a new corpse and they get that free pet change in. Which ever one has consume off CD would be swapped in and consume could be done before you could sear anyway.
Sellys wrote:It could have been worse, at least you got to fight back. I ended up facing a Val'kyr/SS DAH/SS Qiraji on the weekend.
I fought back to no effect, which was worse. But feel glad. When I started PVP pet battles, that was almost the only team (the Unborn/DAH) I'd get. It was so depressing.
Ravnhawk wrote:I saw that same team and it totally wiped me out. I really hate pet p/p but I want the pet so onward LOL
That's why I'm doing it too. XD~

Se5s
Pet Score:3144
BattleTag®:sess#1102
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Se5s » June 25th, 2014, 4:13 pm

the best way to beat valk/consume teams is with your own valk. just go valk vs valk, eventually they will haunt your valk then you haunt w/e pet they bring in which rezzes their valk. if u run 2 s/s dah, or dah/peddlefeet you can kind of stunlock them, or ensure they won't use their valk to haunt either your remaining pets. also, valk/2x dah or valk/peddlefeet/dah is overpowered and will beat most other team as well so you're not forfeiting your teams chance against other opponents just to beat one team.

Worgenbait
Top Rater

Post by Worgenbait » June 26th, 2014, 1:30 am

Okay, when I posted the counter team, I didn't expect EVERYONE to start using it. 90% of the teams I faced had some combo of what I mentioned, and then there was the valk/SS adder/Quiraji combo the one guy was running that was mentioned earlier. Now I have to change up the most successful combo I've had in a while.

Maleric

Post by Maleric » June 26th, 2014, 8:15 am

Kendrah wrote:Each time it haunts, the corpse is considered a new corpse and thus is able to be consumed. Wouldn't I want to make certain that it's in haunt as long as possible? Seeing as there's only so many blocks to preventing a haunt and haunt itself doesn't have a CD. Every successful haunt is considered a new corpse and they get that free pet change in. Which ever one has consume off CD would be swapped in and consume could be done before you could sear anyway.
Are you sure the corpse created by Haunt sticks around even after the Valk'yr returns to life?

Also, if you dispel Haunt then the Valk'yr will be on your opponent's back row. So you can hit it at least once when they swap it back in, and twice if your pet is faster, before it gets to Haunt again. Do that a few times and it will hopefully be dead.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » June 26th, 2014, 9:32 am

Maleric wrote:Are you sure the corpse created by Haunt sticks around even after the Valk'yr returns to life?
The corpse doesn't stay when the haunt ends but it counts as a corpse when it's there. So, say I have pet with sear magic and it haunts. It's counted as dead then, right? And they gets a free pet swap because of that. If it brings in the bird, that bird will be faster than you. If it needs to consume that corpse, it's going to get that heal before you can get the val out of you.
So, let's say you sear and the unborn comes back to live. It is on the back row, yes. Your SM does have two round CD. So, it'll waste a turn bringing it back up, and it will haunt the next round and get another free pet swap. Now, if that other pet is faster than your and it needs to consume, it'll get that consume off before you get it out of you again. At which point, the bird's consume CD is up in the next round or two and letting it get out will just produce another corpse.

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » June 26th, 2014, 2:01 pm

Honestly, it just sounds like a brilliant strategy from someone who has spent A LOT of time building an effective team. Might even try it out myself

Maleric

Post by Maleric » June 26th, 2014, 6:50 pm

Kendrah wrote:
Maleric wrote:Are you sure the corpse created by Haunt sticks around even after the Valk'yr returns to life?
The corpse doesn't stay when the haunt ends but it counts as a corpse when it's there. So, say I have pet with sear magic and it haunts. It's counted as dead then, right? And they gets a free pet swap because of that. If it brings in the bird, that bird will be faster than you. If it needs to consume that corpse, it's going to get that heal before you can get the val out of you.
So, let's say you sear and the unborn comes back to live. It is on the back row, yes. Your SM does have two round CD. So, it'll waste a turn bringing it back up, and it will haunt the next round and get another free pet swap. Now, if that other pet is faster than your and it needs to consume, it'll get that consume off before you get it out of you again. At which point, the bird's consume CD is up in the next round or two and letting it get out will just produce another corpse.
Your scenario couldn't happen at the start of the game because the bird wouldn't need a heal on its first turn after being swapped in. So if you sear magic on that turn, then they either have to leave the bird out front with no healing or they have to take two more hits on the valk when they swap it back in and cast haunt again. And if they swap the valk back in and cast haunt again, the bird is still not going to need healing that turn and sear magic will be off CD the next one.

Sear magic alone isn't going to beat a valk team, but it will definitely give you an edge when combined with the traditional anti-valk strategy of beating the crap out of the valk before it gets too many haunts off :)

Worgenbait
Top Rater

Post by Worgenbait » June 26th, 2014, 9:28 pm

See, for me, it's not the haunt that is the big thing, that's just bonus damage while removing one pet away from aoe attacks. The big thing for me is, while it's haunted, hit it with howl or Bling's damage booster attacks. If I hit the haunted pet with that, it almost guarentees that pet dies quick. If they switch the haunted pet before that, it still does damage to a backline pet, while the bonus damage goes on a new pet that you can hit hard as well.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » July 6th, 2014, 7:38 am

use a Magical Crawdad for the haunt :D