Leveling Alts Thru Pet Battles?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us
Leveling Alts Thru Pet Battles?

Post by Kel » June 13th, 2014, 10:24 am

I've seen many people say they leveled their alts through pet battles only. I'm just wondering what the reality of that is. Maybe someone can shed some light on it for me. How many battles are we talking, is it months on end? Are we talking just random wild battles, or are we talking the daily trainer battles? What's the best strategy for this, is there a strategy? I have a level 41 alt I need to focus on leveling, but I really don't feel like grinding quests again. Can this be a viable method, or is it faster to just grind quests?
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Re: Leveling Alts Thru Pet Battles?

Post by Vek » June 13th, 2014, 10:37 am

I do it but only by PvP. Goes quite quick up to 60 then it starts to drag a bit. About 100 wins per level higher up.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » June 13th, 2014, 11:23 am

If you can mix in some pet tamer dailies, make sure to be well rested, and if you need to level some pets to mix in wild pet battles too it won't take too long.
I have level 6 Alts to 90 basically doing pvp pet battling.
5000 wins takes some time to get might as well level an alt too.
Heck with all that alt leveling I still just got over the 3000 win mark so I still got toons to level I guess.
Also not a bad way to get the coins needed to buy the war forged seals needed at 90.

Riddley
Pet Score:10464
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Riddley » June 13th, 2014, 12:10 pm

I leveled 3 alts from 85->90 (more or less) exclusively through pet battles.

The upsides:
  • You don't have to repeat the same stupid quests over and over
  • You level your pets
  • You improve your capture-able rares
The downsides:
  • You don't get rep, which in Pandaland is a crusher
  • You don't get gear
  • You don't make money to pay for flying, etc
Happy to answer any questions you might have. In my experience, I got about 1% experience per high-level pet battle.

Kel

Post by Kel » June 13th, 2014, 12:20 pm

Riddley wrote:. . . In my experience, I got about 1% experience per high-level pet battle.
What do you mean by high level pet battle?

I'm thinking of doing this starting at level 41 since that's what my alt is currently. Is there a best place to go? Just do wild pet battles in the areas that would be for his level? Or stick to PvP only?
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » June 13th, 2014, 1:17 pm

Kel wrote:Can this be a viable method, or is it faster to just grind quests?
I've leveled my last three or four toons off wild pet battles. Granted, they were all in their 30s to start with (very old toons I hadn't played with in a while.) What I did was get a port to the vale and run to that little pool where No No is. You'll probably die a whole lot, but there's a repair near that area. Just take some bandages. Vale has all the ports so it's a nice place to be saved at regardless.

But, yeah, it's been very quick for me. Much quicker than quests. One pet battle from wild pets gives the same amount of EXP as one quest (comparable to your level at the time so it scales upwards.) The only thing to note is that your pets have to be around the same level so power leveling pets from 1-25 does not work at all. You get no EXP when you have a level one pet and two 25s. I take all my pets that are level 23 or so and put them into a group with two crows. And, naturally, you get more EXP if there is a difficulty bonus and I don't think this method works if you're using a team of all 25s. I think your pet needs to get EXP in order for you to, but I'm not certain.

This is how I get all my pets to level 25 after I take them around doing the dailies. You can also complete the fabled beast quests on one toon then have your lower level toon turn them in. I queue for LFGs to break things up a bit (and get gear.)

You can get the unmarked stones which sell for a decent amount. It's not a certain drop but all the ones I've gotten were from lower level alts finishing up their levels.

Digem
MVP

Post by Digem » June 13th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Kel wrote:
Riddley wrote:. . . In my experience, I got about 1% experience per high-level pet battle.
What do you mean by high level pet battle?

I'm thinking of doing this starting at level 41 since that's what my alt is currently. Is there a best place to go? Just do wild pet battles in the areas that would be for his level? Or stick to PvP only?

If going the wild route best xp comes from level 20+ pets.
A good place for lower levels is by half hill in panda land hardly any mobs to target you and lots of critters type to battle.
Another good place is in the main city area in panda land by where the pet daily tamer is now down in the little village lots of aquatic types to kill there and a daily to do for good xp.
Just get a friend to get you there.
Pvp battles basically gives one the xp equal to completing a quest per win but as one get higher levels need more xp per level to level why it takes longer but not that long.
Wild ones are better if need to level any of your own pets kills two birds with one stone(like the 20 or so crickets one will never use again).
Also better since almost guaranteed win where to get xp from pvp one first must win the battle and secondly the battle must last a minute or so if opponent runs away get win but no xp.
But if trying for 5000 pvp wins not so bad at least get win.

Kel

Post by Kel » June 13th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Huh, interesting. Dunno if I'm gonna try it or not. I like the idea of it, but the logistics seem difficult. Getting a port to the Vale is a struggle on my server. Then the corpse drag to Aki would be irritating. I tried it once with a different alt and the XP didn't seem worth it.

I've bailed on the BoF quest after doing it the first time because it was just too difficult to do. Maybe my teams just aren't as good as they need to be. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing. I dunno. But for now I'm not doing those.
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » June 13th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Kel wrote:Huh, interesting. Dunno if I'm gonna try it or not. I like the idea of it, but the logistics seem difficult. Getting a port to the Vale is a struggle on my server. Then the corpse drag to Aki would be irritating. I tried it once with a different alt and the XP didn't seem worth it.
It's not difficult. I think the only hard part is getting someone to port you to the Vale. The corpse running isn't really terrible either. You're not going to Aki. It's by where Aki is but there are no mobs there so you might die three, maybe four times. Once you're there, you can repair and you're basically home free (unless you go to another zone.) As for the EXP, I guess that depends on how fast you battle vs how fast you do quests. The wild pets around that area are nice because they're all water pets, except for the one flyer, and flyers are super strong against water pets.

Kel

Post by Kel » June 13th, 2014, 2:21 pm

So you're saying down by No-No, over by the Setting Sun Garrison?

Last time I tried to run to Aki, the damn birds along the dry river killed me about 50 times. :cry:
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington

Angelwings626
MVP
Pet Score:12264
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Angelwings626 » June 13th, 2014, 2:38 pm

I have leveled over 10 characters this way.

3 - 1-90, they took me 3 weeks each. 8-12 Hours a day.
I have a job that allows me to pet battle while I'm at work....So unless you have nothing else to do everyday, this does get boring. I do get paid to sit here....so this is what makes it doable for me.

7+ 70-90 Took me about 2-weeks each.

Extremely profitable. Every toon leveled this way made more than enough money to pay for the highest level of flying.

Problem is that I have every class, but I don't know how to play them.

=D I have a location I like, but this is MY location and I am keeping it hush. However, there are a ton of such locations. I realm hop if someone is there ^_~.

Digem
MVP

Post by Digem » June 13th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Kel wrote:So you're saying down by No-No, over by the Setting Sun Garrison?

Last time I tried to run to Aki, the damn birds along the dry river killed me about 50 times. :cry:

If you run to the trainer as close to the mountain pass as possible on a mount the birds should not kill you I do it all the time on Alts just keep running a little pass the trainer and you drop aggro.
Make sure to hug the mountain pass way though do not go up that pass you will die but hug the route right around it.
Then right to the right of the tamer their are a whole bunch of strider pets to wild pet battle.
One moth kills them easy xp for you any any pet you want to battle and once a day a pet tamer daily to do.
Make sure to make the vale your home to.
Now I only know this mount run from the alliance side I don't play horde might be tougher for them but right from alliance city easy run if alliance and need help on run or getting to vale my battle tag digem#1671 I'll get you there.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » June 13th, 2014, 4:19 pm

Kel wrote:So you're saying down by No-No, over by the Setting Sun Garrison?

Yeah, you want to go down next to No No. There's no mobs around that area (the dailies hub is between all the angry mobs and you) and about eight wild pets that spawn so you generally don't have to worry about the spawn rate. Around Aki has all those damn birds so don't go there. It's hellish. XD I think those stupid birds have killed me way more than anything else does when I'm making my run. That's partly why I say take a bunch of bandages with you because you don't want to have to run to that mailbox near Aki.

I'm horde so I tend to go on the right of the dead river until I get to the ruins and cut across. I'll take the rez sickness if my spirit lands at that place because it's closer to where No No is and there's a repair in the dailies hub.

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » June 16th, 2014, 10:36 am

Riddley wrote:I leveled 3 alts from 85->90 (more or less) exclusively through pet battles.

The upsides:
  • You don't have to repeat the same stupid quests over and over
  • You level your pets
  • You improve your capture-able rares
The downsides:
  • You don't get rep, which in Pandaland is a crusher
  • You don't get gear
  • You don't make money to pay for flying, etc
Happy to answer any questions you might have. In my experience, I got about 1% experience per high-level pet battle.

Personally I like to fly where ever I go so I level my level 80's to 90 thru pet battles and my lower alts to 60's so I could boast them later. I hated repeating everything over and over again knowing I had so much rep I would have to deal w/ later on. At least thru pet battles you get great experience making teams and stones. I used a combination of pet battles in wild as well as my 10 weekly battles and whatever tamers my alt could go to. Plus if you don't have a lot of time on certain days pet battles helps me feel like I accomplished something for the short period of time I might be on.

Kel

Post by Kel » June 16th, 2014, 11:32 am

Well, so far it's been going really good. Better than I expected to be honest. I started this toon at lvl41, got a port to the Vale, did the run to No-No and have been lvling him there on the aquatics around No-No. they seem to respawn fast enough that I never run out of them and I'm averaging a lvl every half hour of play. So it's moving along rather nicely. I'm just super burned out on doing these same quests over and over, so this is a nice change of pace. Plus, I can watch TV while doing it so I'm not super involved, which is also nice to keep me from being so burned out on lvling.

My team is :
[url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/flying/moths/luyu-moth/]Luyu Moth[/url] - [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/flying/slicing-wind/]Slicing Wind[/url] / [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/flying/cocoon-strike/]Cocoon Strike[/url] / [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/flying/moth-dust/]Moth Dust[/url]
[url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/magic/eyes-and-beholders/arcane-eye/]Arcane Eye[/url] - [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/magic/psychic-blast/]Psychic Blast[/url] / [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/magic/eyeblast/]Eye Blast[/url] / [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/magic/mana-surge/]Mana Surge[/url]
[url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/flying/moths/grey-moth/]Grey Moth[/url] - [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/flying/slicing-wind/]Slicing Wind[/url] / [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/flying/cocoon-strike/]Cocoon Strike[/url] / [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/flying/moth-dust/]Moth Dust[/url]
Both my moths are H/S. I also have two other lvl25 moths, but one is a P/S and the other a B/B. The extra HP from the H/S moths means you can go longer between heals, so more XP per hour. But if I get in a bind, I can swap them out and keep going before healing. It's kept my use of bandages to almost zero. 8-) The [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/magic/eyes-and-beholders/arcane-eye/]Arcane Eye[/url] is there to mop up the random flyer you see every now and then.

My only complaint is, it seems like I'm just not getting stones. So far, I've done enough battles to gain 17 lvls, but only gotten 1 stone. :?
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » June 16th, 2014, 12:07 pm

Looks like you've got him so Chi-Chi is a good option for killing off aquatics and has a heal. For Flyers I like the Emerald Proto-Whelp. A P/P especially will eat them alive and it has plenty of healing options to never need to use a bandaid. Personally I prefer the reliable damage of Alpha Strike to the randomness of slicing wind most of the time.

Kel

Post by Kel » June 16th, 2014, 1:24 pm

Kpb321 wrote:Looks like you've got him so Chi-Chi is a good option for killing off aquatics and has a heal. . .
I hadn't thought of Chi-Chi. I really love the moths so I just sort of went with them.
Kpb321 wrote:. . . Personally I prefer the reliable damage of Alpha Strike to the randomness of slicing wind most of the time.
I tried Alpha Strike, but settled on Slicing Wind because more often than not the Civets had Surge, which totally derails your going first. I know Alpha Strike says "If faster than the enemy" but in reality it's only if you go first that you get the extra damage. So in the case of an opposing Surge I wasn't getting the extra damage. So slicing Wind has meant more overall damage and faster battles.
Kpb321 wrote:. . . For Flyers I like the Emerald Proto-Whelp. A P/P especially will eat them alive and it has plenty of healing options to never need to use a bandaid. . .
Also hadn't thought of him in that situation. I may give that a go. I do like him!

Thanks for the input! 8-)
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » June 16th, 2014, 2:36 pm

Kel wrote: I tried Alpha Strike, but settled on Slicing Wind because more often than not the Civets had Surge, which totally derails your going first. I know Alpha Strike says "If faster than the enemy" but in reality it's only if you go first that you get the extra damage. So in the case of an opposing Surge I wasn't getting the extra damage. So slicing Wind has meant more overall damage and faster battles.
It's about the way surge works. If you hover over their portrait on a round where they surge you'll see their speed is 2k+. "Always goes first" moves just have a big speed bonus (1750 at lvl 25 I think) so for that turn they are effectively faster. That's why two Always goes first moves just follow the normal order so it is actually possible to get in a hit before something like deflection if you are naturally faster and also use an always goes first move. That will also affect Chi-Chi and he needs to use alpha strike.

For aquatic with Surge I like a pet with peck as the dmg is reliable and consistent. My favorite is a P/P Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling but no heal. The only pets with Peck and a heal are the mechanical birds with Peck and Repair/rebuild.

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » June 16th, 2014, 3:21 pm

Kel wrote:My only complaint is, it seems like I'm just not getting stones. So far, I've done enough battles to gain 17 lvls, but only gotten 1 stone. :?
They're really rare. I've only gotten maybe 5 of the unmarked stones in all my 2.5k battles. But then they go for like 5k on my server so I guess it balances out.