Twins or Triplets?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us
Re: Twins or Triplets?

Post by Peanutty » June 10th, 2014, 8:44 pm

It really is personal preference whether you want more than one of a particular pet. I personally prefer to NOT have duplicates because I don't like to clog up my pet journal, however I did start collecting extras of wild pets in anticipation of breeding, which has since been cancelled (but I went ahead and kept the extra pets in case that gets added later).

Some reasons to have duplicates:
1) To collect pet skins. To get all the unique skins in game you will need to have some duplicates (i.e. parrots).
2) PVP. Depending on your PVP strategies you may want to have duplicates of some pets. Or you might want a certain breed for PVP and then one for PVE (i.e. S/S Flayer Youngling for PVP, P/P for PVE).
3) Celestial Tournament. For certain strategies, such as the Val'kyr + Water Spirit + Chrominius strat, you may want to have multiple copies of those pets in order to use it on multiple fights.

Reasons to not have duplicates:
1) Pet journal gets really full. For those who are OCD about organization (like me), it drives me nuts.
2) You don't really *need* duplicates There's a lot of crossover of pet abilities that makes it unnecessary to have more than one of anything.
3) Collecting and leveling one of all the pets and then duplicates on top of that would be a LOT of time and work, moreso than collecting and leveling already is.

But to sum it up - collect however you want. There is no right or wrong way to collect pets. Do whatever makes you happy.

Voskres
Top Rater
Pet Score:10910
BattleTag®:Vosk#1999
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Voskres » June 11th, 2014, 12:33 am

I have tried to have little to no duplicates. I generally have 20-30 AH posts left trying to sell all my extras.

For PVP and CT purposes, I do have 2 Unborns, 2 Nord Wisps, 2 Skulls, and 2 Mech Panda Dragons.

I think I have a few other dupes that were once rare quests thinking they might be made tradable one day, like Miniwing and Mech Chicken.

I also have one single toon i made a bank for to house all of my old pet icons they haven't taken away from us yet - I believe I have something like 14 Frostys, 5-10 of various other things (Blizz Bears, Philactry, Deathy, etc) that I am also hoping will one day become tradble and I'll be sitting on a gold mine. We shall see. Prob not.

Slugggo
Top Rater
Pet Score:13767
Realm:Moonrunner-us

Post by Slugggo » June 11th, 2014, 2:44 pm

When WoD's garrisons and pet breeding were announced, I wondered if pets would be consumed in the breeding process, and if I'd want to start stocking up on twins and triplets of certain pets. Since breeding has been postponed for 6.0, it's become a moot point.

Still, I like to keep doubles of certain pets around, because I lean on them so much in pet dailies. The list is a lot of the usual suspects: Alpine Foxling, Amber Moth, Anubisath Idol, Chrominus, Darkmoon Tonk, Emerald Proto Whelp, Emperor Crab.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » June 11th, 2014, 3:06 pm

Voskres wrote:I have tried to have little to no duplicates. I generally have 20-30 AH posts left trying to sell all my extras.

For PVP and CT purposes, I do have 2 Unborns, 2 Nord Wisps, 2 Skulls, and 2 Mech Panda Dragons.

I think I have a few other dupes that were once rare quests thinking they might be made tradable one day, like Miniwing and Mech Chicken.

I also have one single toon i made a bank for to house all of my old pet icons they haven't taken away from us yet - I believe I have something like 14 Frostys, 5-10 of various other things (Blizz Bears, Philactry, Deathy, etc) that I am also hoping will one day become tradble and I'll be sitting on a gold mine. We shall see. Prob not.
That is actually a good idea... I currently have my [pet]Baby Blizzard Bear[/pet]s scattered among many alts. I think I will mail them all to my auction alt on Illidan to consolidate them.

Edit: Oh wait, scratch that. I forgot. The [pet]Baby Blizzard Bear[/pet] is unique.

JEC
Pet Score:5503
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by JEC » June 13th, 2014, 8:39 am

There is no right or wrong answer, it just depends on what you like.

If you want to do the Celestial tournament, having two Pandarian Water Spirits and two Chrominious can pretty easily take out 2-3 of your opponents. If you want to move more quickly toward some of the battle achievements, two of the flavor of the month pets makes it go faster.

If you want all of the skins or sizes of certain pets, that's another reason. If you like the moves of certain pets, duplicating them makes sense. Two crows and a carry pet, for example, make short work of PVE leveling.

Pet collecting and battles is more about what you want to do to enjoy it.