Least Effective Pet Abilities

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us
Re: Least Effective Pet Abilities

Post by Kendrah » June 10th, 2014, 3:52 pm

[ability]Nevermore[/ability]

Great in theory. Terrible in practice.

/end thread

Voskres
Top Rater
Pet Score:10910
BattleTag®:Vosk#1999
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Voskres » June 12th, 2014, 4:11 pm

Denarian wrote:[ability]Apocalypse[/ability]

This ability is essentially useless. I have never seen it actually go off in pvp, although I have seen it used before a couple of times. The thing is, though, the match usually ends before then. In pve, I have intentionally kept the fight going with a wild pet, just to see it hit, and when it did, it missed my pet anyway.
Totally disagree with that.

This ability is the core of 2 of my Pet Daily rotations. Those pets you can't kill because they constantly shell (Ti'un) or heal (Lucky Yi) themselves die instantly with Apocalypse.

I use same team for both (roach/beetle with Apocalypse, and 2 rabbits with dodge and burrow).

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » June 12th, 2014, 4:40 pm

Voskres wrote:This ability is the core of 2 of my Pet Daily rotations. Those pets you can't kill because they constantly shell (Ti'un) or heal (Lucky Yi) themselves die instantly with Apocalypse.
Why are you using Apocalypse for these two? There are much, much, much quicker ways to deal with those two though.

Especially Yi. It only takes three or four rounds (five at the most) to kill that with a couple Zand raptors. Put black claw debuff and then go with hunting party. If he's survived the second hunter party wave then use blood fang and get all most of the (little) hp you lost.

Ti'un isn't quite as quick but certainly quicker than 20 rounds. Just use an explosion team (I do sunflower, h/h blackfuse, and mech dragon.) Get the sunny weather up, switch to the mech dragon (he's faster than Ti'un.) If he's cast the shield then use breath for two or three times. If he hasn't then use bombing run and maybe a breath if you want to be absolutely sure then explode. Switch to blackfuse and explode him. All done.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » June 12th, 2014, 4:59 pm

Agreed, There are much more effective ways to deal with those to. Zand raptors easily handle Yi. For Yi it's actually better whan he heals or buffs because it means the first raptor will always finish him. If he just attacks each turn he can kill off the first raptor =)

I use an explode team on Ti'un too but with a H/H BF bombling and a H/H Netherspace abyssal which means Sunny weather, swap, explode, explode and he's dead. Quick and easy and 100% guaranteed.

Riddley
Pet Score:10464
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Riddley » June 13th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Voskres wrote: Totally disagree with that.

This ability is the core of 2 of my Pet Daily rotations. Those pets you can't kill because they constantly shell (Ti'un) or heal (Lucky Yi) themselves die instantly with Apocalypse.

I use same team for both (roach/beetle with Apocalypse, and 2 rabbits with dodge and burrow).
I was using Apoc for Ti'un, but it was so haphazard as to be useless. I solo Lucky Yi with P/P Kun-lai Runt and have had to use a second pet for 1 hit maybe once in the last month.

I agree with Kendrah that Nevermore is 100% pointless.

Voskres
Top Rater

Post by Voskres » June 13th, 2014, 11:28 pm

Kendrah wrote: Ti'un isn't quite as quick but certainly quicker than 20 rounds.
Apoc is 15 rounds not 20

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » June 14th, 2014, 5:23 am

Voskres wrote:Apoc is 15 rounds not 20
D'oh! I was looking at the CD, not the rounds. Still, 15 rounds compared to 4 or 5?

Voskres
Top Rater

Post by Voskres » June 14th, 2014, 10:55 am

Well, never let it be said I am afraid of change.

I used the same team I use against Zao as recommended above and it worked right away for Yi..

Zao
Sunreaver Micro-Sentry
Zandalari Anklerender/Kneebiter
Sunreaver - Fel, Call Lightning
Zands - Black Claw, Hunting Party

I actually have an explosion team I use against Greyhoof and Gorespine, I will try that when I get up to Ti'un.

Voskres
Top Rater

Post by Voskres » June 14th, 2014, 11:21 am

Dos-Riga is the other one I used the Apoc team on. What do you do on them?

Kendrah
MVP

Post by Kendrah » June 14th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Voskres wrote:Dos-Riga is the other one I used the Apoc team on. What do you do on them?
I do Panda Water spirit, Chrom, and Tonk. The third pet can have any of the ubber strong attacks like Ion Cannon. For the Water Spirit, use water jet, whirl pool, and geyser. For Chrom use bite, howl, and surge of power. The third pet is a fail safe (in case Chrom dies before it can use surge of power) so find a pet with a similar ability.

So, start with the spirit and use geyser then whirl pool. Switch to Chrom and use howl and surge of power. This should kill it. Please note that this won't work if Dos starts the battle with a whirl pool. If he does, run away and reengage. You won't lose any health if you run from the fabled beasts. If he casts whirl pool as his second attack, he'll probably kill Chrom after he gets a howl in. That's okay. This is where you pull in your fail safe pet and use its Ion Cannon or the like.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » June 14th, 2014, 2:45 pm

I use a Sen'jin Fetish + Infected Squirrel + Blighted Squirrel to take out the Dos. I just make sure to get wild magic out on the fetish'es undead round, then pop in one of the squirrels to DoT and stampede. If the first squirrel dies, I bring in the second squirrel to DoT stampeded again.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Voskres
Top Rater

Post by Voskres » June 14th, 2014, 9:43 pm

I was dorking around and I used 2 pets with darkness to lower his self heals and a moth with dust and cocoon in the middle. Never used the second darkness pet (I think I used Scourged Whelpling because it was undead and Aqua is weak against it and I got off 2 Darknesses)