When is rarity determined ?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Shankmcgank
Pet Score:3120
Realm:Illidan-us
When is rarity determined ?

Post by Shankmcgank » April 14th, 2014, 5:21 pm

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows or has strong evidence to show when a pet's rarity is determined ?

I've been trying to farm a Lizard Hatchling in STV, and I've been here all day without seeing a rare. I'm trying to get one as a secondary from the other pets in the zone, but it seems it's always the primary that is rare. Then when I fight a Lizard Hatchling, the secondary will be rare, arghhhhhh !!!

The reason I'm asking, is if the rarity is determined before combat starts (i.e. next pet battle, primary will be rare, no matter what pet battle it is), then I'll just skip over everything that isn't a Lizard Hatchling. However, if rarity is pre-determined by the actual pet spawn, then it won't matter.

Can anyone give me some information in regards to this ?

Thanks. :D

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Re: When is rarity determined ?

Post by Jerebear » April 14th, 2014, 5:24 pm

Rarity and breed are determined when the battle pet spawns in the world. One of the reasons we know this is prior to a recent patch (I think 5.4), pets that spawned in groups all had the same rarity and breed (This of course was fixed).
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Shankmcgank

Post by Shankmcgank » April 14th, 2014, 7:44 pm

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply ! I guess my luck is just terrible...8 hours later, still no rare Lizard Hatchling.

Khorah
Pet Score:11506
BattleTag®:Khorah#1833
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Khorah » April 14th, 2014, 7:50 pm

/comfort..
I recently farmed up a rare [pet]shimmershell snail[/pet] and ran into similar issues, and this was bouncing into different realms.. Hang in there.. he WILL spawn :)

Lowbrowdeluxe
Pet Score:5394
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Lowbrowdeluxe » April 15th, 2014, 8:58 am

Just to make sure, OP, you're ah...*cough* removing any spawns you meet that aren't the rare you're looking for so you don't fight the same group again on the next pass, right?

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » April 15th, 2014, 11:03 am

Lowbrowdeluxe wrote:Just to make sure, OP, you're ah...*cough* removing any spawns you meet that aren't the rare you're looking for so you don't fight the same group again on the next pass, right?
Yeah, unless the pet itself is rare (such as [pet]minfernal[/pet]s), you need to ensure that a group with "less than desirable" pets is not left out in the world... because those pets will remain the same breeds/rarities each time they are engaged in a pet battle.

Shankmcgank

Post by Shankmcgank » April 15th, 2014, 11:41 am

Lowbrowdeluxe wrote:Just to make sure, OP, you're ah...*cough* removing any spawns you meet that aren't the rare you're looking for so you don't fight the same group again on the next pass, right?
Hi,

Yes, I flew around from early afternoon (1 PM or so) until 5 AM EST, killing everything that wasn't a Forest Spiderling or Lizard Hatchling spawn, and killing all the Tree Python, Polly, and Beetle spawns I saw. I did take a few small breaks for sanity, but I bet I spent a solid 8 hours fighting / killing and I still don't have it.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » April 15th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Kill all of the non pet battle critters too. Some speculation that there may be a max number of critters total in the zone. Good luck, you will get it eventually!
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » April 15th, 2014, 6:04 pm

Shankmcgank wrote:
Hi,

Yes, I flew around from early afternoon (1 PM or so) until 5 AM EST, killing everything that wasn't a Forest Spiderling or Lizard Hatchling spawn, and killing all the Tree Python, Polly, and Beetle spawns I saw. I did take a few small breaks for sanity, but I bet I spent a solid 8 hours fighting / killing and I still don't have it.
You should also be killing the Forest Spiderling and Lizard Hatchling spawns that are not rare. Since rarity is determined at spawn, leaving them up doesn't help at all.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Shankmcgank

Post by Shankmcgank » April 15th, 2014, 8:35 pm

Jerebear wrote:
Shankmcgank wrote:
Hi,

You should also be killing the Forest Spiderling and Lizard Hatchling spawns that are not rare. Since rarity is determined at spawn, leaving them up doesn't help at all.
I do for sure...I should probably be arrested by the Stranglethorn State Police for animal abuse or hunting without a valid license.

:)

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » April 18th, 2014, 2:08 pm

You'll get it eventually; every collector has had at least one pet that was tough to get a rare version of. Mine was the tiny twister...

Tonid
Pet Score:5172
Realm:Darkmoon Faire-eu

Post by Tonid » April 18th, 2014, 3:13 pm

The hillsbrad rabbit and the ooze in Hinterlands were worst for me ^^.

What I've read is that if you can't get the rare, try to use a team to kill the opponent in pet battle, don't forfit and don't kill the pets with your character -- they say it makes respawn time much longer. There were however times, when I didn't have the patience to pet battle, so I just shot the poor thing (my main is a hunter).

In general, from my observation:

- As others say above, rarity is definitely determined at the time the pet team spawns, not pre-battle.
- If you forfit the battle without killing the first pet (you can damage it), the pet will respawn very shortly with exactly the same team setup.
- If you kill even a single pet in pet battle, then forfit, there will be no respawn of the same team, and you'll have to wait for regular respawn.
- If you kill pets in pet battle, they will respawn quicker I believe, than if you kill them after forfitting with your character.

It also REALLY pays off to read comments on some pets here on the site. For example, I would have had a horrid time trying to get the rare pet in un'goro (diametrodon or however you spell it hatchling). The key thing is they appear with selected "mothers", so if you keep the "mothers" alive (by marking them), and kill other regular mobs for more "mothers" to spawn, you increase the speed of pet respawn. Oh, I didn't have the patience to pet battle there, so I just killed the pets off with my hunter if there was no rare.

Zimahl
Pet Score:3823
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Zimahl » April 18th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Tonid wrote: - If you forfit the battle without killing the first pet (you can damage it), the pet will respawn very shortly with exactly the same team setup.
- If you kill even a single pet in pet battle, then forfit, there will be no respawn of the same team, and you'll have to wait for regular respawn.
- If you kill pets in pet battle, they will respawn quicker I believe, than if you kill them after forfitting with your character.
This is huge and should be forced into memory by all collectors. A few times I've been leveling pets and have run across rares that I'd like to trap but it was probably going to a close battle. I'd rather forfeit out quickly, put in a good team that is capture-safe, and then battle again than lose the rare because of an unfortunate crit or loss.

Tonid
Pet Score:5172
Realm:Darkmoon Faire-eu

Post by Tonid » April 19th, 2014, 4:27 am

Zimahl wrote:
Tonid wrote: - If you forfit the battle without killing the first pet (you can damage it), the pet will respawn very shortly with exactly the same team setup.
This is huge and should be forced into memory by all collectors. A few times I've been leveling pets and have run across rares that I'd like to trap but it was probably going to a close battle. I'd rather forfeit out quickly, put in a good team that is capture-safe, and then battle again than lose the rare because of an unfortunate crit or loss.
Precisely my approach. I had a specific team for capturing (now I have all rare, so I no longer need it): kun-lai runt for quick destruction of other pets, and magical crawdad with 2 tranquility/wish and a low damage aquatic spell for bringing the pets down to capture level. Obviously, for lower level pets, I had some unleveled pets handy that could do less damage.