Most overpowered pet?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
DDK
Most overpowered pet?

Post by DDK » November 20th, 2012, 4:32 pm

I haven't done any PVP yet so my experiences only come from wild pet hunting but so far, I think that my Emperor Crab has to be my most overpowered pet by far. I renamed him "Tank" because the thing just never dies.

He has high health, high power and low speed. But because of his high power, Surge hits almost as hard as a regular attack and negates the low speed. By maintaining Renewing Mists and Shell Shield, he finishes entire fights with higher level pets and even magic or flying ones, on either full or close to full health.

I have pets that have one-shot combos, pets that devastate targets in a few rounds and pets that can heal through huge damage but nothing like this thing, with this combination. It might take ten extra rounds to kill your opponent, but I swear the thing is a beast. He's like the Randy Couture of pet battling.

How about you? What pets do you have that you've found to be overpowered?

Hellomynameis
Pet Score:2162
Realm:Shattered Hand-eu

Re: Most overpowered pet?

Post by Hellomynameis » November 20th, 2012, 5:13 pm

Crimson Geode seems promising :) 1 turn nuke that does some damage to you aswell, therefore it does even more damage to the enemy. It also has another 1 turn ability that doubles that damage, but again, it will do even more damage to you. So pair it up with a Magical Crawdad, and you have a winning team. Kill enemy in 2-3 rounds, swap to Crawdad, use Wish, swap back, kill the next pet within 2-3 rounds. Swap to third pet, a lvl1 winter gnome, and write /flex, and watch them flee.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » November 21st, 2012, 5:58 pm

Blighthawk
Ghostly Skull
Magical Crawdad

Blighthawk because it has two burst abilities that do too much damage and have too little drawback, and he's not adequately countered by aquatics since he's got a flying attack; Ghostly Skull because Ascension is crazy, on top of a very good lifeleeching moveset--and being undead makes them both problematic since you get extra chances to use the overpowered abilities after they rez.

Crawdad is probably not overpowered as a complete package since he hits very soft, but Wish is numerically absurd, it does way more healing than any comparable ability.

I haven't actually seen a mini-Tyrael in action, but if Omnislash does what the tooltip says then it's completely imbalanced. I'd love to hear from somebody who has one, whether it does full damage to all 3 pets, or whether the damage is split.

Winter's Helpers' ability Gift of Winter Veil does too much damage for no drawback, and they have 2 other strong damage moves: once they can be rare, I bet they'll be pretty annoying.

A breed 4 Emperor Crab is definitely a tough nut to crack: but if he's overpowered, I think that points to healing being a bit too strong in general, since his moveset is very much in line with other pets.

Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Doobjanka » November 23rd, 2012, 8:24 am

Mini Tyrael splits the damage among all pets, and if there is only one it does garbage damage. He's not really worth using.
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » November 23rd, 2012, 1:05 pm

Poofah's done a really good job with pointing out some "overpowered" pets on their own. But in my opinion, nothing's really overpowered, until you start getting into pet combos.

For example, the Crawdad is indeed near to unkillable, but combine him with any pet that does Sunny Weather, and his Wish heal, that was already healing him for like 900, now heals him for like 1800. And the awesome 1800-1900 HP he had is now closer to 2700. Good luck dealing 2700 damage to him in 6 rounds with his damage reduction buff up.

Another example would be using a pet with Plagued Blood, like the Restless Shadeling, to keep that Plagued Blood buff up on the target and using another pet that has multi-attack abilities afterwards, making him heal on every hit. A good example for that would be the Clockwork Gnome. He can have up to two towers up, which each shoot 3 times per round, if the enemy has Plagued Blood, your Gnome will get a heal on each tower hit plus his own attack (so up to 7 heals in a single round, when timing is right). Keeping in mind the Gnome also has Repair as an ability, it makes him pretty unkillable too if you can keep Plagued Blood up.

There are several more examples like this I'm sure, but these are two pretty good examples of powerful pet combos.

Pandorra
Pet Score:3199
BattleTag®:Lillydawn#1511
Realm:Perenolde-us

Post by Pandorra » November 23rd, 2012, 3:16 pm

My Lil Deathwing one shot the legendary dragon at the master trainer in pandaria,
first turn, first attack.
Yes, it was a crit, but lil deathwing seems to crit more than any other pet I have used.

~Pandorra

Axarien
MVP
Pet Score:5571
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Axarien » November 23rd, 2012, 3:29 pm

I use Mini Tyrael a lot in pet capturing and battles against wild critters. Omnilash is garbage, though, because the damage is split across the other team.

Cheeser
Pet Score:1464
Realm:Talnivarr-eu

Post by Cheeser » November 24th, 2012, 5:06 pm

If you think mini tyrael is OP, you can just throw a stone on peddlefeet next patch and you will basically have him.
The pets I got that I consider the most OP are:
Blighthawk, flayer youngling, ghostly skull, lil DW, lil raggy, crawdad, molten hatchling, monk.
But that's just on their own.
Combos like wild golden/jade hatchling or restless shadeling with the clockwork gnome's turret can seriously f u up...

Florencia

Post by Florencia » November 26th, 2012, 9:53 am

Zaelo wrote:Poofah's done a really good job with pointing out some "overpowered" pets on their own. But in my opinion, nothing's really overpowered, until you start getting into pet combos.

For example, the Crawdad is indeed near to unkillable, but combine him with any pet that does Sunny Weather, and his Wish heal, that was already healing him for like 900, now heals him for like 1800. And the awesome 1800-1900 HP he had is now closer to 2700. Good luck dealing 2700 damage to him in 6 rounds with his damage reduction buff up.

Another example would be using a pet with Plagued Blood, like the Restless Shadeling, to keep that Plagued Blood buff up on the target and using another pet that has multi-attack abilities afterwards, making him heal on every hit. A good example for that would be the Clockwork Gnome. He can have up to two towers up, which each shoot 3 times per round, if the enemy has Plagued Blood, your Gnome will get a heal on each tower hit plus his own attack (so up to 7 heals in a single round, when timing is right). Keeping in mind the Gnome also has Repair as an ability, it makes him pretty unkillable too if you can keep Plagued Blood up.

There are several more examples like this I'm sure, but these are two pretty good examples of powerful pet combos.
This.
Good Combo>any single pet

Exel
Pet Score:2852
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Exel » November 28th, 2012, 1:44 pm

Ran into a guy with Blighthawk yesterday and he kicked my ass few times, couldn't do much at all.

Today, same thing with Elementium Geode while doing lv1-6 pet battles.

Lil'Ragnaros, Pandaren Monk, Lil'Deathwing, Magical Crawdad, Ghostly Skull, all great and strong pets but you can counter them and I've beaten them many times. Blighthawk and Elementium Geode (Crimson Geode) feel really unbalanced.

Aquilus
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Aquilus » November 28th, 2012, 3:39 pm

How about this for a combo:

Stitched Pup
Mr. Wiggles
(Moth of Choice)

Rd 1:
Stitched Pup Casts Plagued Blood
Rd 2:
Switch to Mr. Wiggles
Rd 3:
Mr. Wiggles casts Uncanny Luck
Rd 4:
Switch to Moth
Rd 5:
Moth Casts Moth Balls (5 hits should be 100% with Uncanny Luck plus 1-2 should crit on average)
Rd 6:
Moth Casts slicing winds (1-3 hits)
Rd 7:
Moth Casts Moth Balls again
Rd 8: Uncanny Luck fades

In addition your Stitched Pup can have Flurry and Rabid Stike or Howl so that if the moth gets eliminated or is going against an emerald whelpling or something you can have your stitched pup plagued blood, howl and flurry it. Getting 2-3 hits/heals and overcoming the emerald presence reduction.

It's definitely a good combo, you can also use the new imperial moth to have Cyclone, Moth Balls and Slicing Winds on the same moveset. Swap out Mr. Wiggles with a dragon that has lightning storm and get the bonus damage plus the bonus heals.

Lightning Storm > Plagued Blood > Multi-Attack ruination

I may opt for this route and use a jade crane chick just to avoid dying to the same combo. (Slicing Wind , Jadeskin, Flock) since my lightning summoner can also use cyclone I wouldn't need that on my multi-attacker.

Thoughts? Am I leaving myself exposed in any areas? Is it overly too complex, too much pet swapping?

Aquilus
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Aquilus » November 28th, 2012, 4:00 pm

In addition, if anyone is considering employing this strategy, the Yellow Moth has the potential for the highest damage (341 power with breed ID 4 or 14). The Imperial Moth has the highest HP 1644 (good for flyers because it can extend their speed boost uptime) and the Oasis moth has almost as high HP 1627 with a very good power 289 (breed ID 12 or 22).

The imperial moth has an arguably better moveset for the Mr. Wiggles combo as it is the only moth that can get both Moth Balls and Moth Dust. (both have a miss chance to offset their power) You sacrifice almost 100 power though for that and cocoon strike which is a great defensive ability, especially for a flyer with constantly high HP

Finally, the new imperial silk worm is the only non moth to get the moth balls ability. In addition, like it's moth counterpart, it can have that and moth dust on the same moveset. So if you were concerned about magic users and fond of Mr. Wiggles this could be a great alternative. Note that without the speed boost for flying type, the moth dust ability is likely only a 1 round cc and probably useless against critters. If you go first it's a 1 round interrupt followed by a 1 round cc (stops 2 actions from the opponent) and can be nicely mixed into the Moth Balls 1 round CD.