List of Pet Battle Bugs

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
DDK
List of Pet Battle Bugs

Post by DDK » November 22nd, 2012, 8:13 pm

I was thinking we could make a list of known, or even suspected, bugs. I swear that pet battles are extremely buggy. And even if we can't change it, it's still helpful to know that something is a bug so that it doesn't drive you crazy.

The latest one I found was being hit while "Unattackable". So far I've only experienced this with my Sifang Otter Pup's Dive ability but I suspect it's probably the same for other similar abilities.

Know of any other bugs?

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Re: List of Pet Battle Bugs

Post by Formerruling » November 22nd, 2012, 8:28 pm

What attack hit you? Remember all periodic/environmental dmg hits no matter what, and there are several normal atks that ignore 'off the field' statuses.

DDK

Post by DDK » November 22nd, 2012, 8:34 pm

Formerruling wrote:What attack hit you? Remember all periodic/environmental dmg hits no matter what, and there are several normal atks that ignore 'off the field' statuses.
The Sidewinder's Burrow ability. It Burrowed and to counter it, I dived. It's happened four times in the last half hour while I'm hunting for a Scarab Hatchling.

Formerruling

Post by Formerruling » November 22nd, 2012, 9:24 pm

if both pets are 'off of field' (burrow, fly, etc) then they are able to atk each other. This doesn't seem like a bug to me since they are in the same status.

What is probably a bug is how Reflection handles 'off of field' abilities. Namely you copy the status change, but not the following attack - sticking you 'off of field' for several turns but able to normally attack.

DDK

Post by DDK » November 22nd, 2012, 9:48 pm

Formerruling wrote:if both pets are 'off of field' (burrow, fly, etc) then they are able to atk each other. This doesn't seem like a bug to me since they are in the same status.
If the tooltip says "Unattackable" then should it be, you know, unattackable?

Kinda gives me the annoyances that there are all these hidden little conditional factors to everything. If you can attack someone "off field" then it should bloody well say so.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » November 23rd, 2012, 3:29 am

Formerruling wrote:if both pets are 'off of field' (burrow, fly, etc) then they are able to atk each other. This doesn't seem like a bug to me since they are in the same status.
I've found this to be quite true and I think it's intentional. They may be "unattackable" but only to those not in the same field as them.

It would be nice if the tooltip reflected this unique conditional, but we'll probably need to wait until a future patch.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Hellomynameis
Pet Score:2162
Realm:Shattered Hand-eu

Post by Hellomynameis » November 23rd, 2012, 5:07 am

Poison Spit can hit enemies who are burrowed, however if memory serves me right, the dot is not applied, only the initial damage.

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » November 23rd, 2012, 1:20 pm

My favorite bug so far is when my Flayer Youngling reflects an off the screen move like burrow or fly. He stays that way the whole fight and is unattackable.

I can usually time it for the Hellfire Pennisula daily against Thor. It's quite funny.

There seems to be a bug where my mechanicals don't always rez after dying. I hold my breath when they die hoping they come back as they're suppose to.

I also have noticed if my Gnome dies while his turrets are up the turrets stop shooting. Hate that one as well.

I notice some damage spike bugs every now and then. My Pandaren Monk hit with his Fury of 1k Fists the other day for 4500 damage. My 9yr old thought that was hilarious.

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » November 23rd, 2012, 1:41 pm

I think the gnome's turrets stopping to work after his death is also intentionnal, another one of those "you have to know it cause it's not written anywhere" details....

Another possible bug would be to reflect the Wish ability using the Reflection ability. It gives the Wish buff to the reflector, saying his active pet will be healed for 50% of his health on the next turn, but then the buff stays there and nothing ever happens.

I know Reflection isn't supposed to work with multi-rounds actions, but this is technically not a multi-round action. It's a single-round action, with a one-round duration Buff. Wether it's intentional that it doesn't work or not, it's still buggy, either don't give the buff and nothing happens or give the buff and make it happen >.>

Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Doobjanka » November 23rd, 2012, 10:19 pm

While not a bug per se, I find this one fun.

When fighting any creature that cocoons with a cat, if the cat goes first with the pounce ability, the cocoon stay up the remainder of the fight while still taking damage.
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Bindibear
Top Rater

Post by Bindibear » November 24th, 2012, 10:44 am

Disgusting Oozeling's absorb doesn't have a cooldown. Not a huge deal in pvp, but if you're facing off against poors/commons in pve you can solo much higher level goups spamming it for the heal.

Hellomynameis
Pet Score:2162
Realm:Shattered Hand-eu

Post by Hellomynameis » November 24th, 2012, 10:52 am

Bindibear wrote:Disgusting Oozeling's absorb doesn't have a cooldown. Not a huge deal in pvp, but if you're facing off against poors/commons in pve you can solo much higher level goups spamming it for the heal.
Absorb and Consume are two different abilities, I dont think it is intented to give Absorb a cooldown.

Arvelayne
Pet Score:3784
Realm:Frostwhisper-eu

Post by Arvelayne » November 24th, 2012, 11:59 am

I just noticed today that my Alpine Foxling's Crouch ability sometimes doesn't half the damage of the first hit. I use him as one of my levelling pets, and I'll pop the shield if I have a bad one in the opposite crew.

There was at least twice today that I noticed that the first hit after popping it was full damage. Each time I would see about 400-500 damage non crit despite it being active.

Didn't happen all the time though.

Arve,
battered alt.

Anath
Top Rater
Pet Score:10405
BattleTag®:Anath#1831
Realm:Dreadmaul-us

Post by Anath » November 24th, 2012, 12:09 pm

I'm pretty sure most people have come across these by now, but I've found Rams, Gazelles and others that join in pet battles, even though you can't capture them : /

Axarien
MVP
Pet Score:5571
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Axarien » November 24th, 2012, 7:39 pm

I had a bug happen just once where an aquatic with surge was somehow able to attack my pet continuously until mine was dead; I never got a turn.

I've come across the sadly uncapturable ram joining a pet battle, as well.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » November 24th, 2012, 10:08 pm

Arcana wrote:I had a bug happen just once where an aquatic with surge was somehow able to attack my pet continuously until mine was dead; I never got a turn.
This happened to my Clockwork Gnome too. Even though I would select attacks, nothing would happen and my opponent was free to continue attacking me each round (I think it was an aquatic using surge as well). Eventually I had to swap out my pet for a different one. The next one in line was perfectly fine and could attack normally. No idea what could have triggered this bug.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Formerruling

Post by Formerruling » November 24th, 2012, 11:50 pm

Now I will contribute to the thread. Sometimes my gnomes turrent will delay. The dust cloud animation will happen and it might freeze for like 30 seconds before it appears and the turn continues. Like twice now the animation played and no turrent ever spawned. It just froze for a few and the turn continued with no turrent.

Darkshroud

Post by Darkshroud » November 25th, 2012, 3:54 am

two things i have noticed.

Weakening Blow

the Terrible turnip ability is not affected by type it should do reduced damage to critters or increased damage to mechanical. but it just does the same damage to everything.

Frog Kiss

it can kill a mechanical pet and skip its revive. just tested it against an undead. it skips the Undeads revive aswell.

Klya
Pet Score:4413
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Klya » November 25th, 2012, 6:57 am

Not sure if I'm alone, but it seems sometimes the Minfernal's Meteor Strike has absolutely no effect. There's no "Miss," "Dodge," or any type of damage shown (or inflicted) upon the target. And this is during a normal opponent condition...no Soaring, Burrow, or Dive involved.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » November 25th, 2012, 7:24 pm

Terrible Turnip's Weakening Blow actually managed to kill a couple Jade Oozelings. O_o I didn't use any other attack since I was trying to capture it, so it couldn't have died from any other source of damage. Thank goodness for the relogging trick!