The insanity of Breed ID's

Share pet collecting news and advice.
DDK
The insanity of Breed ID's

Post by DDK » November 21st, 2012, 6:11 am

I just found out about Breed ID's.

My brain just imploded.

So now not only do I need to grind pets for a rare, there are up to ten variations and only three of those are the best variations.

*twitch*

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Re: The insanity of Breed ID's

Post by Ryazan » November 21st, 2012, 7:17 am

You might ask yourself "Do I always really want to get the best Breed of a pet or do I want to settle for any rare?"

First one shortens your life probably, causes high blood pressure and nerdrage from time to time. :P
- Taking your candles since 2005

Cropher
MVP
Pet Score:7153
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Cropher » November 21st, 2012, 8:03 am

Not only that... but if you're not going to actually battle and level with the pet, why do you need a rare? Yes, if you're trying to assemble the best team you can, rarity and even breed ID are important, but other than that... :?
An example for me was searching for a rare Emperor Crab. After killing many many whelks (has anyone seen it as a primary?), I realized, "Hey, wait, there's a handful of others that have exactly the same skill set. I don't need it."

Adashiel
MVP
Pet Score:3297
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Adashiel » November 21st, 2012, 12:05 pm

I am totally not a fan of the breed system as its currently implemented. I doubt Blizzard considers it ready for prime time anyway, considering the details had to be reverse engineered by players. People are using it anyway, nevertheless, so I hope they either come out with a better way to manage breeds or get rid of it altogether. Something like battle stones that would let you switch breeds perhaps?

Thralla
MVP
Pet Score:2070
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Thralla » November 21st, 2012, 12:43 pm

I can't say I've *never* farmed for a rare. After server restart this week, I thought, "What the heck, let's see if in the few minutes I have to log on if I can get a rare Snowy Owl. Seven attempts later I had one.

An experience like that is where I draw the line. Catching it wasn't something I felt I *HAD* to do, nor did I search for one so long that it exhausted me. There is some part of me that rebels against the materialistic mindset that says "All my pets must be rare." (That's not saying I wouldn't make my uncommon Flayer a rare if given the chance, I'm just not going to abandon my sanity in the process.)

The Breed ID thing makes me rage - quietly - to myself not to anyone else. I refuse to even look up a Breed ID for any of my pets, even if/when I PVP battle them. I will not participate in a "keeping up with the pixelated Joneses" mentality. And no, I don't judge anyone else who feels they *must* figure out the best Breed ID for whatever they are doing. It's just not a "value" I buy into -even if it is the math (physics?) of how the system works. Of course you're talking to someone who also refuses to stress out about and strive for the "gear" concept in Wow as well.

There are just too many real life issues to pursue with such intensity that I can't bring myself to invest in a virtual world to such a level.

Only my two coppers worth. And again, no judgement from me if you passionately pursue the highest quality Breed ID pets.

Axarien
MVP
Pet Score:5571
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Axarien » November 21st, 2012, 3:02 pm

Yeah, I totally can't handle that much collection OCD. I, too, refuse to even look up breed IDs for my pets because it makes my brain cry. I will rare hunt for my favorites/enough to get the achievement and then I think I'm done! Totally cool with me if someone else wants to chase all those things down, however... I don't judge!

Lunarific
Top Rater
Pet Score:4359
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Lunarific » November 21st, 2012, 3:08 pm

I am trying to collect rare versions of every pet that I can, but trying to find the right breedID for every pet on top of that does seem a little crazy even to me. That said, I still have the addon installed, so if I accidentally come across a rare that I already have but with a better breedID, no harm done in catching it!

DDK

Post by DDK » November 21st, 2012, 8:17 pm

Lunarific wrote:I am trying to collect rare versions of every pet that I can, but trying to find the right breedID for every pet on top of that does seem a little crazy even to me. That said, I still have the addon installed, so if I accidentally come across a rare that I already have but with a better breedID, no harm done in catching it!
There's an add-on for breed ID?

That would at least make it a little more tolerable. What is it called, please?

Florencia

Post by Florencia » November 22nd, 2012, 10:37 am

I like the idea of having different breed IDs, it makes catchings more interesting and meaningful.

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » November 22nd, 2012, 12:10 pm

Remember Pokemon? You have to catch the rare Pokemon..it has to be the right breed...and it has to roll perfect stats. Why basically everyone doing player battles had to hack their Pokemon in because getting the perfect one was impossible almost.

Kagalii
Top Rater
Pet Score:10513
BattleTag®:Mikadochan#1520
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Kagalii » November 22nd, 2012, 2:03 pm

I felt the same way when I first found out about BreedIDs since by that time I was just getting done collecting almost all wild caught pet rares. But if you take it slow and only really go for the best breeds for things you want to level NOW it's not so bad. With few exceptions I managed to get the good breeds for things I want to level now or soon over the past few weeks. Just take it easy:)

DDK

Post by DDK » November 22nd, 2012, 4:28 pm

Kagalii wrote:But if you take it slow and only really go for the best breeds for things you want to level NOW it's not so bad.
And if you've already levelled 11 to 25 and half a dozen more to half-way or so, and most of them aren't even the most powerful versions, let alone the best stat allocations?

You break down and cry, that's what you do.

Florencia

Post by Florencia » November 24th, 2012, 6:36 pm

DDK wrote:
Kagalii wrote:But if you take it slow and only really go for the best breeds for things you want to level NOW it's not so bad.
And if you've already levelled 11 to 25 and half a dozen more to half-way or so, and most of them aren't even the most powerful versions, let alone the best stat allocations?

You break down and cry, that's what you do.
always check for details/guides before you do things in a video/online game. It saves time and saves energy.

B4leigh

Post by B4leigh » November 25th, 2012, 5:33 pm

I am just ignoring the whole breed ID thing until I finish all my collecting. If I decide to worry about it, it will be much later. Still, it sounds like it might involve math...so nevermind.

Tatra
Pet Score:4589
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Tatra » November 26th, 2012, 1:20 am

my ocd is that when i started collecting pets ill get the pets then go back for rares later. know that i have all but the cloud serpent pets and have a crap load of rares, my ocd has gone to only level to 25 all the rares then once they are finally all leveled im going to go and replace the poor uncommon and common unless it is of a super rare pet. then once i do that all should be leveled to 25 but again at the rate im going, lol it will be 10 years to get all to 25

Vhale
MVP
Pet Score:10441
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Vhale » November 26th, 2012, 8:11 pm

Several of the pets don't have a full set of Breed IDs anyway. But the only reason I can see being OCD about it is for pet battles. And if pet stones aren't too terribly rare, that will take a lot of the frustration out of it. I can't think of too many pets I'd want to stone anyway.

Kagalii
Top Rater
Pet Score:10513
BattleTag®:Mikadochan#1520
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Kagalii » November 27th, 2012, 12:19 am

Lunarific wrote:I am trying to collect rare versions of every pet that I can, but trying to find the right breedID for every pet on top of that does seem a little crazy even to me. That said, I still have the addon installed, so if I accidentally come across a rare that I already have but with a better breedID, no harm done in catching it!
This is exactly what I'm doing too. I got rares of almost every wild pet, now I only farm for the right breedIDs for those I plan on leveling and battling with and upgrade others to good breedIDs if I happen upon them by chance but not specifically going out of my way to find every pet in rare AND good breedID.

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » November 27th, 2012, 8:51 am

I look for rares while I'm leveling pets (must have pristine trap and singing cricket!), but I don't worry about breed IDs. I don't pvp, and have been able to defeat all the master tamers with any ol' rare, so why worry about them?
Mingyao on Madoran