Carry Pet Experience Reference

Guides and information to collecting specific pets.
Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu
Re: Carry Pet Experience Reference

Post by Kring » January 24th, 2014, 11:49 am

Clockwork Gnome level 25, Zandalari Anklerender level 25, Nether Ray Fry level 23 against Lil' Ondasta.

No buff food, no hat. 1120 XP for the Nether Ray Fry.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » January 24th, 2014, 6:36 pm

That would give Oondasta a Tamer Multiplier of 5x (T=5.0)

Thanks!

What was the strat you used? Does carry pet level matter?
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Kring

Post by Kring » January 24th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Jerebear wrote:What was the strat you used? Does carry pet level matter?
Lil' Ondasta
Team:
  • 1: [pet]Clockwork Gnome[/pet] [-] (1,1,1)
    2: [pet]Zandalari Anklerenderer[/pet] [P/P] (2,2,2)
    3: Carry pet (must have less HP then the raptor but enough to survive the AE)
vs Lil' Ondasra
  • - Build Turret
    - Lil' Ondasta switches the Gnome with the Zandalari
    - Black Claw
    - Hunting Party
    - Zandalari gets killed after 1 round of Hunting Party, switch in leveling Pet and immediately switch to Gnome.
    - Lil' Ondasta dies here
Note: If Lil' Ondasta misses the Zandalari and doesn't kill it after 1 round of Hunting Party, it'll continue with Hunting Party and kills Lil Ondasta before you get a chance to switch in the carry pet.
Note: Carry pet must have less hp then the Zandalari or the carry pet gets swapped in.
Note: Team is not mine, I found it [url=http://www.wowrounded.com/2013/09/23/lil-oondasta-in-5-clicks/]here[/url]

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » January 26th, 2014, 10:58 pm

This is the Northrend / Cata tamer data with full buffs (B = 1.85)

Notice how some values ending in .5 round down while others round up. I had to verify level 24 by splitting between two pets. 2747.25/2 = 1,373.625, which would be 1374 per pet. That checked out.

GAFFiO
Pet Score:10690
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by GAFFiO » January 30th, 2014, 1:07 am

This is such a fantastic guide.

Kudos and thanks to Jerebear and all those who helped.

All this math hurts my brain a little but its explained very well.

It seems I may have been counter-productive when leveling my pets. I would usually carry my level 1-10 pets with the Pandarian tamers assuming it would grant the best XP. But it seems it would be better to take them around the lower level zones. (which works great as it leaves more Pandarian tamers for my higher level pets

Again thanks to all involved!

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » January 30th, 2014, 6:33 pm

yeah, if you are going for long term benefits levelling, you are better off levelling sub level 10 pets using either wild battles (4ish battles from level 1 to level 10/11 per pet) or a couple of Vanilla/BC tamers. The more often you can pit level 10/11 pets against the pandaria tamers with full experience buffs, the better off you are for the long term. That doesn't help when you need a specific pet at 25, but for those, you can occasionally do some quick 1-25 runs as needed.
Last edited by Jerebear on January 30th, 2014, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kring

Post by Kring » January 30th, 2014, 7:39 pm

Clockwork Gnome level 25, Zandalari Anklerender level 25, Netherspace Abyssal level 1 against Lil' Ondasta.

No buff food, no hat. 1450 XP for the Abyssal.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » January 30th, 2014, 8:22 pm

Thanks!

Kring

Post by Kring » January 31st, 2014, 6:04 pm

Clockwork Gnome level 25, Zandalari Anklerender level 25, Enchanted Lantern level 6 against Lil' Ondasta.

No buff food, no hat. 1800 XP for the Lantern.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » February 1st, 2014, 3:54 pm

Warstar wrote:This may sound basic (and it is) but can we get this simplified?

I.E. "If you want to level up 2 Level 1 pets using a Level 25 Carrying pet, then go to Trainer 'X' first for the most XP" and so on?

Maybe I'm just lazy to look through the grids but I do find this oddly fascinating. Great work!
Sorry, I know this a very late response, but I was working on solidifying previous info before looking into this. I'll start out by saying the results matched my intuition for this question. The short answer is for enemy tamers, the more powerful the tamer, the better the EXP:

Darkmoon Faire & Pandaria Tamers > Northred & Cata Tamers > Outlands Tamers (24 > 23 > 22 etc.) > Vanilla Tamers (19 > 17 > 16 etc.)

This is true across all levels of carry pet.

The only exception to this rule is Celestial Tamers and Little Tommy Newcomer. Due to their low multipliers, they are a bit all over the place.

This is also true for wild pet battles versus Vanilla/Outalands tamers. Which is "better" is all over the place. I'm not sure of a good way to cover this in a graphic as anything I have come up with is way too busy to read using an image and these forums don't support tables. The other issue, is the lowest level tamers have different multipliers so it isn't easy to make a universal table anyways). Finally, most people aren't going to travel around swapping between tamers and wild battles in order to maximize (lots of time lost travelling that way), you typically either do high level tamer runs (where the EXP is high enough to make up for travel time) or wild battles, but not often both intermixed.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » February 8th, 2014, 5:20 pm

Added some blurbs about caging pets and using multiple carry pets. There's still a lot of work to do on multiple carry pets. I also added another interesting note: Kiamoto from the WoW forums found that the darkmoon top hat gives a buff that improves pet experience gained (still additive). I'll have to experiment with some others to see if there are more.

EDIT: though any you have bought will not be tradeable to alts and will disappear from your bags once the DMF is over, wasting tokens you spent.

Monekop
Top Rater
Pet Score:13159
BattleTag®:MonekopSilk#2526
Realm:Shadowsong-eu

Post by Monekop » February 11th, 2014, 7:38 am

IMO posts that make community guildes like this should be rewarded with missing pets or at least permanent MSV status.

Monekop
Top Rater
Pet Score:13159
BattleTag®:MonekopSilk#2526
Realm:Shadowsong-eu

Post by Monekop » February 11th, 2014, 7:39 am

IMO posts that make community guildes like this should be rewarded with missing pets or at least permanent MSV status.

Greenwinkle
MVP
Pet Score:5686
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Greenwinkle » March 24th, 2014, 1:59 am

Nice. Good Work.

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » April 4th, 2014, 7:55 am

This is all wonderful data crunching, but I have 1 thing I would like to mention that may or may not have been covered elsewhere:

Character XP per hour and pet XP per hour.

I mention this because I have leveled several pets via tamers and via wild pet battles, as well as leveled several characters instead of using a level 90 (though they work in to the equation, about that later) to tamer/beast of fable hop.

A little back story:

I have 3 accounts, with level 90's on each, as well as access to the 2 seater rocket mount and the Obsidian Nightwing which is also a 2 seater. I have a decent route in Pandaria I take to get to each tamer as fast as possible, and hit all of them in a decent amount of time. Anymore, I have some lowbie toons camped at the 5 non-Pandaria tamers that give bags. Mostly for the chance to get stones, and for some XP for pets.

What I do is group a 90 with the 2 seater mount (Usually the Nightwing, because it does not make a constant engine noise like the rocket) with another toon in the 85+ range. I could use any character level, but 85+ means that when flying over hostile NPC's they don't get one shot if they pull aggro from range.

As a side note, all the Pandaria tamers and most of the other tamers can be camped with a level 1 toon, as there is nothing close enough that is hostile to kill it. The exceptions are Seeker Zusshi in Townlong, as there is a basilisk that you can aggro. In Deadwind Pass, there is a mob in the building close to the tamer that prevents anything lower than say 67 from camping there. In Shadowmoon Valley, there are mobs that can aggro you, so level 65ish there is okay. And as for the beasts of fable, Ka'wi in Jade Forest, Kafi in Kun-Lai, Greyhoof in Valley of the Four Winds, and Skitterer Xi'a in Krasarang, and Dos'Ryga all have aggro mobs too close to them to camp a very low level toon. The rest are safe enough to camp a level 1 toon at for purposes of obtaining bags.

The downside to camping level 1 toons is that you waste the XP, and any stones that are not usable by the level 1 toon, like elemental and undead, since there are so few pets that need those stones, you would have to on occasion Hearth that toon back to a city to mail the stones and or bandages for storage/use later.

Back to my point:

It takes 90 minutes on a good day to fly from tamer to tamer to beast of fable in Pandaria to hit all of them for the pet/character XP. And this should be done if you want or need the stones, pets and bandages that drop, as well as the 25% pet treats you get from completing all 3 beasts of fable books.

BUT!! That same time could be spent in a very small area like near No-No in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms where there are around 6 or 7 Golden Civets that respawn fast enough that unless there is someone else there with you, you will always have one to battle. Now, I use a Jade Owl to ROFLstomp the Civet, and any of the other aquatic pets that may accompany him, and a Nether Faerie Dragon to wipe the floor with the flyers, and then almost any carry pet, though I would recommend level 10 or higher for easy survival from a single attack.

I have dropped off several toons in this spot with pet treats and grinded out a full level on the toon, and multiple pets to 25 in that same 90 minute span.

TL;DR:
I put all of this here because I want to know if the pet/character XP per hour is better even with the loss because of travel times going between the various tamers and beasts of fable. My guess would be that it is not. I might update this with some numbers as far as XP per beast of fable and per tamer for the CHARACTER as most all the pet XP numbers have been covered, unless that has been covered somewhere as well.
mykro9#1585

Mykro9
MVP

Post by Mykro9 » April 4th, 2014, 8:12 am

Jerebear wrote:Added some blurbs about caging pets and using multiple carry pets. There's still a lot of work to do on multiple carry pets. I also added another interesting note: Kiamoto from the WoW forums found that the darkmoon top hat gives a buff that improves pet experience gained (still additive). I'll have to experiment with some others to see if there are more.

EDIT: though any you have bought will not be tradeable to alts and will disappear from your bags once the DMF is over, wasting tokens you spent.
Just a note on the DMF hats:

They ARE trade-able, and can be placed in your guild bank. You just cannot mail them to alts. So, you could either trade them to a friend to trade to your alt, or use a guild bank, if you and your alt share a guild. Also, the tickets from DMF are not trade-able, but the Darkmoon Game Prizes http://www.wowhead.com/item=93724 that are awarded from the 5 daily mini-games like Whack-a-Gnoll ARE trade-able, and mail-able, so long as you do not open them. These prizes contain 1 ticket, and have a chance to contain a pet, a DMF hat, and almost any other item that can be purchased with tickets besides the 2 mounts. So, you could take the prizes and give them to an alt to open to buy hats each month, or buy them yourself and trade them over via friend or guild bank.

I mention this because I spam the mini-games on as many level 1 alts as I care to drop off at the faire, and either trade the prizes over to another toon, or put them in the bank. you can easily get 1 pet a day through mini-games alone, since it takes just 18 toons at 5 prizes a day to get 90 prizes which equals 90 tickets to buy a pet off the vendor. If you are on a connected realm, you can trade the tickets from both realms on one account, for a possible total of 110 (11 toons per server x2 servers x5 mini-games) prizes/tickets. So without even doing the weekly prof quests, or 'test your strength' or the dungeon/PvP drop turn-ins you can net 440(880 with 2 servers worth of toons) tickets or just shy of 5(10) DMF pets a month from the faire. Now, your eyes will bleed doing that many Whack-a-Gnoll, tonk and shooting galleries a day, but it is possible.
mykro9#1585

Mykro9
MVP

Post by Mykro9 » April 4th, 2014, 9:05 am

And since I am on a roll, I have a few GREAT spots to farm pet XP.

First is level 1 to level 9 or 10 pets. Granted that as you get closer to level 11, you lose bonus XP from the battles but the trade off is speed of fights. I go to Feralas, around the outside walls of Dire Maul. There you will find level 11-12 [pet]Nether Faerie Dragon[/pet] and since they are ONLY level 11 and 12, they only have 2 pets per battle. What is awesome about this particular set up is that the dragons typically have a critter rabbit or squirrel as the other pet. I use 2 carry pets and a level 25 rare [pet]Curious wolvar pup[/pet] with [ability]punch[/ability] to 1 shot the dragon, and [ability]maul[/ability] to 1 shot the critter. 90% of the time, the fight is over in 5 rounds, with the extra 3 rounds for swapping the other pets. Start with pet A do random move, swap to pet B, take a hit, swap to [pet]Curious wolvar pup[/pet] [ability]punch[/ability] dragon, it dies, [ability]maul[/ability] critter, it dies, end of fight, mount up head to next [pet]Nether Faerie Dragons[/pet] This goes by so fast you can get 2 pets to 10 in no time.

Next is level 10 to 20 pets and for this I go to Dragonblight and the [pet]Dragonbone Hatchling[/pet]. Here I use that same [pet]Nether Faerie Dragon[/pet] as the level 25 pet, and [ability]arcane blast[/ability] [ability]life exchange[/ability] and [ability]moonfire[/ability] to destroy [pet]Dragonbone Hatchling[/pet] and its companions. Sometimes I keep a second 25 in the group, to speed up the process, and sometimes I use 2 carry pets. The key is that there is a stable master very close if you need to use it, if you are out of bandages and/or your <revive pets> is on cooldown.

Last are the plentiful battle pets around each of the beasts of fable. I use these to finish off the last few levels from 20 to 25, if I have done the tamer dailies already. I prefer No-No, Kafi, Nitun and Lucky Yi as they all have plenty of the same type pets in great enough numbers to never run out of pets to battle.
Last edited by Mykro9 on April 17th, 2014, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mykro9#1585

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » April 4th, 2014, 6:39 pm

That's a lot of neat info. One thought: Doing BoF along with Tamers is a waste of "pet" experience time (though good for "player" exp), especially if running under buffs. If I focus on just tamers that provide the highest pet EXP, I can do all of Pandaria (11 tamers), 4/5 of the Northrend Tamers, and all 4 Cataclysm tamers under a single hour buff. Over a long period of time it the extra bonus experience you get from more tamers does pay off. The more you travel the longer it will take you to level all your pets (depends if that is your goal or not). A super ideal situation is to have alts parked at all the tamers (have to do this on multiple servers obviously) each with full buffs and just cycle through those. I use my alts too much to do that though.

The main goal of this guide is to provide information to assist with the levelling process of a carry pet. I don't really go into player exp to be honest, but I do appreciate all the info you provided.

Rannegirl
MVP
Pet Score:5363
BattleTag®:RaiRai#1483
Realm:Kirin Tor-us

Post by Rannegirl » August 6th, 2014, 9:30 pm

I don't recall if this was mentioned about the DMF hats, excuse me if this is repeated information. But, the timer on the hats continues to countdown when you are logged out of the game, unlike the pet treat buffs. So in case you had time left and thought you'd log out and come back to that character the next day for more tamer battles, the buff will be gone.

Love this guide, it's helping me lots with my power leveling. The tip about mailing the DMF prize boxes was priceless!

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » August 24th, 2014, 7:13 pm

Thanks!

I'm glad you like the guide so far and thanks to everyone who put in tips like the one you mentioned.

I've started testing on the new tamers on Beta. So far it looks like the WoD tamers have a T=6.0 multiplier, making them generate more EXP. A level 1 pet gets 4350 EXP with no safari hat. That comes out to a 2.5*6 multiplier to the standard equation.

EDIT: above was from Ashlei tamer. Gargra gave same XP as MoP tamers

Appears to be just ashlei: https://twitter.com/TheCrafticus/status/503708365776646144