Sleep?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Denarian
Pet Score:2743
Realm:Kul Tiras-us
Sleep?

Post by Denarian » January 30th, 2014, 9:34 am

So, I often use my [pet]Infinite Whelping[/pet] to deal with healers in pvp, to counter their healing. But I have noticed, though, that sometimes when I use [ability]Sleeping Gas[/ability], if it manages to put them to sleep, it only sleeps them till the end of the round. Being P/P, and slower, that is essentially useless, since I go last that round.

Is there a speed mechanic I am overlooking? In order for [ability]Sleeping Gas[/ability] to be effective, does one need to be faster than their opponent?

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: Sleep?

Post by Luciandk » January 30th, 2014, 10:27 am

Just like a stun move, CC moves wants to go -before- the opponent. If they proc, then they annull the opponents turn, and their next turn.

Denarian

Post by Denarian » January 30th, 2014, 10:44 am

Luciandk wrote:Just like a stun move, CC moves wants to go -before- the opponent. If they proc, then they annull the opponents turn, and their next turn.
Then, I am seeing a glitch? Because when I am fighting non-critter opponents, they don't lose their next turn. It puts them to sleep, and next turn comes up, they are fine. They have the CC buff, but still use their turn like normal.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » January 30th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Is there any DoT or damage being done to the slept pet at the end of the turn, after it gets slept? Sleep is different from stun in that it will break on damage. Infinite Whelp doesn't have any abilities that would do that, so it would have to come from somewhere else (Fiendish Imp in backrow? Haunt?).

Denarian

Post by Denarian » January 30th, 2014, 2:05 pm

Poofah wrote:Is there any DoT or damage being done to the slept pet at the end of the turn, after it gets slept? Sleep is different from stun in that it will break on damage. Infinite Whelp doesn't have any abilities that would do that, so it would have to come from somewhere else (Fiendish Imp in backrow? Haunt?).
I didn't realize that sleep had that sort of limitation on it. But, if it does, it would make sense, as I usually have both of the DoTs you mentioned, up at the same time. The only thing is, though, that I cannot find anywhere that states that targets that are asleep in pet battles, will be awakened if hit.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » January 30th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Denarian wrote:I didn't realize that sleep had that sort of limitation on it. But, if it does, it would make sense, as I usually have both of the DoTs you mentioned, up at the same time. The only thing is, though, that I cannot find anywhere that states that targets that are asleep in pet battles, will be awakened if hit.
Yes, sleep has that limitation but it isn't expressly stated in the tooltip for Sleeping Gas. Looking around, it doesn't say it for the ability Food Coma either. For Soothe, the only other ability off the top of my head that's similar, it says "Sings to the target, causing them to become drowsy. Drowsy targets will fall asleep at the end of next round unless hit."

I guess it's one of those things that I just learned by accident while doing pet battles (aka darn you Seeker Zusshi!) and just assumed it says so on the tooltip without ever checking.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » January 30th, 2014, 2:47 pm

I can't check it but I think the actual sleep debuff that ends up on your opponent says that it breaks on damage but even if it doesn't say there that is definitely the case.

Tuatha
Top Rater
Pet Score:3297
BattleTag®:tuatha#1660
Realm:Uther-us

Post by Tuatha » January 30th, 2014, 4:14 pm

Kpb321 wins the internets.
Asleep
Unable to give this pet commands.
Breaks on damage.

Denarian

Post by Denarian » January 30th, 2014, 4:48 pm

Tuatha wrote:Kpb321 wins the internets.
Asleep
Breaks on damage.
I guess there are different kinds of "asleep," seeing as [ability]Hibernate[/ability] or [ability]Emerald Dream[/ability] don't break on hit.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » January 30th, 2014, 7:03 pm

Denarian wrote:
Tuatha wrote:Kpb321 wins the internets.
Asleep
Breaks on damage.
I guess there are different kinds of "asleep," seeing as [ability]Hibernate[/ability] or [ability]Emerald Dream[/ability] don't break on hit.
Difference with Hibernate and Emerald Dream is they're a self buff, versus a CC ability like the others. The mouseover on Hibernate when used reads: "Hibernating. Restores increasing health every round."