Mr. Grubbs

Guides and information to collecting specific pets.
Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Mr. Grubbs

Post by Quintessence » December 13th, 2011, 7:44 pm

If you enjoyed farming for the Disgusting Oozeling then you are going to absolutely LOVE the Cataclysm pet Mr. Grubbs. However, there is a slight difference between farming for the oozeling and Mr. Grubbs.

Before you can even go out and start killing a bunch of mobs in hopes for a special loot bag, you will need to do some prerequisite quests to gain a buff that will allow you to see the bag on the creatures.

The quest chain starts in Eastern Plaguelands, from the NPC Fiona. She stands just on the side of the road at the entrance of EPL from Western Plaguelands. Cross the bridge and you'll see her with her horses and carriage.

She will then send you on two quests to find her companions. Each one will then have you go on two more quests (one for each NPC) before having you return to Fiona. After completing all the tasks requested of you, she will give you a quest to "hop into her carriage." You do NOT have to accept or complete this quest in order to receive the buff necessary to farm for Mr. Grubbs.

Fiona's carriage should have a blue question mark above it and upon clicking on her carriage, it will offer three buffs. Choose "Fiona's Lucky Charm" and it should give you a buff with a blue rabbit's foot icon. This buff has no timer and will persist so long as you are in EPL. It will disappear if you leave the zone, but will reappear if you return.

Once you have that buff, you are good to go kill yourself some grubs, devourers or any type of mob within EPL!

Should you choose to farm strictly from grubs and devourers, these gigantic yellow worm are actually quest mobs and therefore don't really drop anything of significance if you're not on the quest. Having a low level character join your party to loot the quest items while a higher level toon annihilates everything is a strategy that may cut down on farming time. If the lowbie doesn't also have the Lucky Charm buff, they won't be able to see or loot the bag. Since the loot bag (called Hidden Stash) is not a 100% guaranteed drop, having someone else loot the mobs will help you see which ones have a loot bag on it for you to collect. This means wasting less time bending over to check each body for a bag. (Yay for efficiency!)

Anyway, this is where the mechanics of farming for the Disgusting Oozeling come into play. The bag itself has a low drop rate, nevermind the chance of the pet actually being IN the bag that you've looted. Most bags contained a few copper to a few silver. The number of mobs you have to kill may vary, but be prepared to kill A LOT of mobs.

Some last notes - the mobs that drop the bag are level 40 to 42. The hidden stash is bind on pick up. Mr. Grubbs is also bind on pick up (unlike the Disgusting Oozeling).

True to this video, Mr. Grubbs will randomly do back flips up and over your head!!

Feel free to provide additional information or note of any corrections that need to be made.
(last update: December 13, 2011)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Domie
Top Rater
Pet Score:9549
BattleTag®:Domie#2293
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Re: Mr. Grubbs

Post by Domie » December 15th, 2011, 9:53 am

Quintessence wrote:If you enjoyed farming for the Disgusting Oozeling then you are going to absolutely LOVE the Cataclysm pet Mr. Grubbs. However, there is a slight difference between farming for the oozeling and Mr. Grubbs.
I just want to note that this shouldnt scare anyone off, because even if the way of obtaining the pet isnt that diffrent, it doesnt take even nearly as much time, specialy if you have already done the quest chain, the farming doesnt take that long, shouldnt take more than a couple of hours, and probaly will take less.

Happy hunting ! :)

Beegkitty

Post by Beegkitty » December 23rd, 2011, 5:34 pm

- Just adding - RNG has a bit to do with this. I have been farming for Mr. Grubbs on and off for months. When I do farm, I spend at least two hours killing everything in the zone. I get a ton of the hidden loot bags. But I have never seen the little guy drop. Just like the Baradin Fox Kit - there are times when I truely believe this pet is a lie.
Last edited by Beegkitty on January 10th, 2012, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Domie
Top Rater

Post by Domie » December 25th, 2011, 6:06 pm

Beegkitty wrote:- Just adding - RNG has a bit to do with this. I have been farming for Mr. Grubbs on and off for months. When I do farm, I spend at least two hours kiling everything in the zone. I get a ton of the hidden loot bags. But I have never seen the little guy drop. Just like the Baradin Fox Kit - there are times when I truely believe this pet is a lie.
Ofc you can never trust RNG, but this got a better drop % than many of the other farmable pets, and atleast for me and the friends that i know that farmed it, it didnt take that long.

But i hope youll get yours soon, the only trick is to be persistent! :)

Beegkitty

Post by Beegkitty » December 25th, 2011, 11:42 pm

I think it was your good wish that helped - I got Mr. Grubbs yesterday on my farming run. I spent two hours in TB for the kit, gave up and went for Mr. Grubbs. And YAY! Got him! Yesterday was a good day. I got Lil'Tarecgosa as well. Today was a Pebble day - so only two more days to get little Pebble.

thanks! And happy holidays to all! Hope you got your pet wishes answered by Father Winter!

Domie
Top Rater

Post by Domie » December 26th, 2011, 7:37 pm

Beegkitty wrote:I think it was your good wish that helped - I got Mr. Grubbs yesterday on my farming run. I spent two hours in TB for the kit, gave up and went for Mr. Grubbs. And YAY! Got him! Yesterday was a good day. I got Lil'Tarecgosa as well. Today was a Pebble day - so only two more days to get little Pebble.

thanks! And happy holidays to all! Hope you got your pet wishes answered by Father Winter!
Im happy to hear that, congratz! :)

Chubzpets
Pet Score:8173
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Chubzpets » January 23rd, 2012, 5:43 pm

Not sure if this was a bug but I got lucky. I got Mr Grubbs in about 10 min and not from the mobs this guide says to farm. I got it off my second Blighthound while doing a different quest. If you're having trouble kill a couple of them I think.

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » January 23rd, 2012, 10:25 pm

I think saying level 40-42 mobs drop the stash is misleading. Wowhead has a respectable number of mobs up to level 45 dropping the stash. Doesn't it pretty much drop off any mob while you have the buff active?
Mingyao on Madoran

Moritach
MVP
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Moritach » January 24th, 2012, 1:31 am

When I got mr grubbs it took me 34 bags to get him and other people I know report similar results so he can't be that rare a drop from the bags... that said, it is RNG, you could be unlucky with how often the bags drop and then be unlucky with getting the pet. I wouldn't go into farming this pet with the mentality that it's going to be done quickly, because it might very well not be. Double RNG ftl! D:

Neleke

Post by Neleke » January 25th, 2012, 11:09 am

Oddly enough, I got 3 of these while questing.
I'm usually really unlucky when it comes to drops but I guess not this time?

Nice guide there by the way!

Midesis
Pet Score:2381
Realm:Shadowsong-us

Post by Midesis » February 23rd, 2012, 5:12 pm

Fiona doesnt have any quests for me .. you must have to complete some pre-quests to get this going apparently.. Anyone have an actual chain of completion for these quests?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » February 23rd, 2012, 6:04 pm

Midesis wrote:Fiona doesnt have any quests for me .. you must have to complete some pre-quests to get this going apparently.. Anyone have an actual chain of completion for these quests?
Here's the full chain from Wowhead: http://www.wowhead.com/npc=45417#comments

The optional breadcrumb quests are in the Wowhead comments towards the bottom. It's strange that Fiona doesn't provide you with a quest as most toons seem to be able to walk up to her and pick up the first set immediately upon entering EPL. Is the character you're using to talk to Fiona of appropriate level for the zone/quests? I think it's about level 40ish for the first set of quests to gain the buff.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Vengpets
Pet Score:2347
Realm:Agamaggan-eu

Post by Vengpets » February 25th, 2012, 10:58 pm

THX For the guide, got mr grubs after my 8th kill and 1st bag :) fastest drop ever :)

P3lim

Post by P3lim » March 14th, 2012, 8:56 pm

Thanks for this little guide, I'd like to note that it can drop from any mob in EPL as long as you have this buff.
I got mine from my 15th kill in Zul'Mashar :D

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » March 17th, 2012, 10:02 pm

Got it! Thanks for the info! Only took a couple hours from starting the quests to getting the pet, and I wasn't even at it continuously. That's my sixth pet today, woohoo! I got 4 of the cheap trading card pets in the mail today, when redeeming them I got the Brilliant Kaliri for reaching 125 pets, then I went after Mr Grubbs. Hmmm, maybe I should see what other pets I can find today..
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Stabumz

Post by Stabumz » June 26th, 2012, 12:06 am

i got super super super lucky, unlike how it usually works for me. i got him out of my 4th bag, not even 40 kills in. wewt

Wolfphyre87
Pet Score:3351
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Wolfphyre87 » July 28th, 2012, 1:42 pm

I've farmed Mr. Grubbs for me and my wife. I've found that the undead trolls in the northeast part of EPL to be the best place to farm. They have a very fast respawn time and are very easy to kill as at lvl tools. Each time farming took less then 30 mins to complete.

Calso
Pet Score:2048
Realm:Thaurissan-us

Post by Calso » August 7th, 2012, 12:02 am

Just finished the quest line and killed about 15 random mobs and got Mr Grubbs from the second bag I looted. Now back to farming archeology pets...

Beesknees
Pet Score:6328
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Beesknees » October 26th, 2012, 2:43 pm

In EPL go in the cave in the Northwest corner. This cave is covered in bugs. It's awesome with an mage to run up and down spamming Arcane Explosion to kill the little critters and earn your guild *The achievement I don't remember that lets you buy the armidillo*. It's a bug killing achievement-50,000. There are crypt crawlers in there that also give Argent Dawn/Crusade rep. That's where I got Mr. Grubbs on 4 of my toons.
Also take a miner, there's iron and gold in them thar' hills.

Edrin
Pet Score:975
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Edrin » November 14th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Been super lucky with my pet gathering recently: Got my Emerald Whelpling after a mere 394 loots, only took 15 minutes to get my Sea Pony, and now I just got Mr. Grubbs on my second Hidden Stash after only like 10 minutes of grinding on the maggots just south of Light's Hope Chapel. Might go for another to sell on AH.

Happy Hunting!