What's the best roach?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Melmo
MVP
Pet Score:11046
BattleTag®:Melmo#1842
Realm:Whisperwind-us
What's the best roach?

Post by Melmo » January 1st, 2014, 10:39 am

Seeing as there's several roach pets, does anyone prefer a certain type of roach or breed of roach? I'm thinking they all have the same movesets but I could be wrong.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Re: What's the best roach?

Post by Vek » January 1st, 2014, 11:10 am

Nether Roach is a bit special since it can take a strong vs flier attack in the first slot. But im not convinced it is any better for it.
Hope someone else can give a hint on breeds, as I have hardly played around with them at all. Was quite pointless during Direhorn reign.
Last edited by Vek on January 1st, 2014, 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » January 1st, 2014, 11:14 am

Theres 10 roaches. Same moveset except Nether Roach which has Nether Blast instead of Scratch. The moveset is shared amongst alot of beetles/scarabs aswell. Most of the roaches have SS HP HH among their available breeds where the Deaths Head Cockroach comes in 2 breeds only where the PS choice is interesting. The Irradiated Roach has higher base health than the others and can reach 1887hp as HH.

Beetles in general trade off some of their health into higher attack, speed is lower aswell. Fire beetle+Lava beetle share another moveset, different from the usual one. Twilight Beetle can come in PP341. Savory Beetle fastest beetle with 325.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » January 1st, 2014, 11:40 am

Not that I've really used them much but looking at their move set I'd say they would tend towards S/S being a good breed. Flank gets an extra hit from being faster. Survival gets you an extra turn to attack if you are faster and Swarm is guaranteed to leave 2 turns of the debuff up if you are faster. You could go for a different breed and use hiss to debuff your enemy but you give up survival to do that and do less dmg for that round.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » January 1st, 2014, 3:01 pm

The comments section at wowhead for some of the roaches has a pretty good breakdown of all the stats and breeds for each type of roach:

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=61169#comments

Since there are so many pets with this type of moveset, I tend to pick the best pets for a particular breed (if going for a S/S I find which ones have the best stats) and then I get a spread of the other breeds so I have a lot of options if needed. I haven't worked on roaches yet, but that is my plan once I get all my pets rare.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » January 1st, 2014, 4:47 pm

Roaches is one of the pet types that have been severely overused as filler to pad out the number of total pets. They share the same looks, and ability, with only one of them standing out with a slight touch of individuality. [pet]Nether Roach[/pet].

Beetle types at least have a little more creativity used on them, different colors and ability set variants.

Melmo
MVP
Pet Score:11046
BattleTag®:Melmo#1842
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Melmo » January 2nd, 2014, 12:45 pm

I was looking at spiders and saw that the P/S Dusk Spiderling has 305 speed AND 305 power at lvl 25... pretty amazing to me, really. I can't move the level bar on my phone to check other P/S spiders at lvl 25 with identical move sets (there are many, lol). I'm wondering (with a sigh) how many rats/mice and spiders I might have to replace because I didn't know same breeds could have different stats on even same kind of pet. Most if not all the S/S bunnies have the same exact stats at 25.

Thank you for that link Jarebear!