pet collection stats from MMOc

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu
pet collection stats from MMOc

Post by Luciandk » December 27th, 2013, 10:25 am

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/3654-Armory-Stats-Battle-Pet-Collection-Blue-Tweets-Winter-s-Veil-Fan-Art

Came by this interesting bit on MMOC with battle pet info culled from armory.

Really suprised that collecting 400+ pets is such a rarity.

Though the pet collection achs had me even more suprised, seems finishing the Celestial Tournament is way too hard for most WoWers, given that only under 1% have completed Celestial Family.

Teronicus76
Pet Score:2305
Realm:Malfurion-us

Re: pet collection stats from MMOc

Post by Teronicus76 » December 27th, 2013, 10:51 am

I think you have to consider that to get the Celestial Family achievement you need all 4 pets, which is what? 1 week for the first one and then 9 weeks for the other 3? So it takes a minimum of 10 weeks to get that achievement.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » December 27th, 2013, 10:52 am

Teronicus76 wrote:I think you have to consider that to get the Celestial Family achievement you need all 4 pets, which is what? 1 week for the first one and then 9 weeks for the other 3? So it takes a minimum of 10 weeks to get that achievement.
But still, quite doable by now, even for late starters.

Teronicus76
Pet Score:2305
Realm:Malfurion-us

Post by Teronicus76 » December 27th, 2013, 11:40 am

True, it has been a while but I am one of the late starters to the tournament as I was really working on just collecting so even though I have 450 pets or so I only have 1 celestial family pet so far. It was xu-fu so I could get my crazy cat man title :)

Killerkarl
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Killerkarl » December 27th, 2013, 11:46 am

I don't find those numbers so surprising because there is only one person on my realm even close to me on wowprogress's pet score rankings.

I can easily see how people don't have the raiding with leashes achievements. Quite a few probably struggle to get past Lady Vashj, Razorgore or the chess event and then get up on them.

With so few people participating in the hardcore pet collecting/battling should we concerned about how well Blizzard will support and enhance it going forward?

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » December 27th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Killerkarl wrote:I don't find those numbers so surprising because there is only one person on my realm even close to me on wowprogress's pet score rankings.

I can easily see how people don't have the raiding with leashes achievements. Quite a few probably struggle to get past Lady Vashj, Razorgore or the chess event and then get up on them.

With so few people participating in the hardcore pet collecting/battling should we concerned about how well Blizzard will support and enhance it going forward?

Well pet battling is pretty much a side activity like archeology. But where Archy offered increases in player power in Cata with desirable t11 epics that was BIS in some cases like Zin rokh, pet battling really offers nothing that is of a benefit to raiders.

If pets were to give raid bonus, i could imagine it something like this. Once you bring out a lvl 25 pet, you gain +1% of a stat dependent on family, and 1% dependent on the pet itself. So a mechanic pet might give +1% stamina. And a Son of Animus might also yield +1% armor while you have it out.

I think such a change would make pet collecting a LOT more desirable to raiders. And with the huge pool of similar pets, theres bound to be lots of repeats of the stat combination that you in particular desire, allowing you pick a fave pet depending on looks while still being useful for its personal raid buff.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » December 27th, 2013, 3:38 pm

Killerkarl wrote:I don't find those numbers so surprising because there is only one person on my realm even close to me on wowprogress's pet score rankings.

Pet collecting really was meant to be a mini game and I think these numbers are pretty accurate. Many people pet battle - at one point there was a blue post saying 50% of players were doing it and Blizzard was pretty happy with that. But hardcore collecting? Well, like anything else in wow (high ranked PVP, heroic raiding) yes, there's going to be a much tinier part of the population involved in it. So in the same way I don't think it's a concern that Blizzard will stop supporting hardcore pet collecting.

Using my guildmates as an example, I did get a lot of them to try pet battling - most got a few pets to 25 and then lost interest. There's maybe 2 or 3 others beside myself that now actively collect pets, but none of them are close to me in terms of collection size, levels and rarity.

Aur
Pet Score:9797
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Aur » December 27th, 2013, 4:15 pm

Luciandk wrote:
Teronicus76 wrote:I think you have to consider that to get the Celestial Family achievement you need all 4 pets, which is what? 1 week for the first one and then 9 weeks for the other 3? So it takes a minimum of 10 weeks to get that achievement.
But still, quite doable by now, even for late starters.
I disagree. I am a late starter. I have an above-average pet collection (#30 on my realm) and I am still at least 6 weeks away from completing Celestial Family. I think a better indicator of who can complete the tournament is "Master of the Masters" which requires all the trainers to be beaten, or even just "The Celestial Tournament" which only requires it to be completed once.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » December 28th, 2013, 9:44 am

My problem is I have too much patience. I still haven´t gotten my 4th pet from the celestial tournament because I often forget about it. The celestial pets have no real value now since I can beat all the tamers already and I know the tournament is not disappearing any time soon, nor can we sell the pets.. so meh, as long as I get it by the end of the expansion I am happy.

I was much more devoted to getting and selling the rotten helper, since that gold horde will help me buy pets in the future.

Arshadi
Pet Score:4464
Realm:Twisting Nether-us

Post by Arshadi » December 28th, 2013, 9:49 am

Speaking as a raider who looks to pet collecting and battles as a fun and relaxing side activity...I'd be unhappy if pet battles were tied to raiding enhancements in some way because I'd frankly feel obligated to use pet battles to max my raiding main. Mind you, my guild is nothing cutting-edge amazing: We're just into the first several heroics in SoO, but we do try to do whatever we can to make sure the team is optimized...and I think in that way we are typical of most guilds that very much like to raid.

It's possible that Blizz needs to scale more pet battle/collecting activities to those who aren't doing it at the maximum possible level. I know several of my guildies really loved doing all the collection achievements and basic battle achievements. But the legendary battles and the Celestial Tournament were just too much for them. Their pet-related activity has declined or stopped, but from comments they make I think they'd like more pet stuff to do that is a bit less demanding than, say, the Celestial Tournament.

Finally, I'm willing to be that I am not the only serious collector who isn't included in the Celestial Family achievement because the Yu'la pet is just not very interesting =P. The others are great - I finished my "Master of the Masters' back in September, but honestly haven't bothered to go back and finish up to get Yu'la. I'll do it at some point just because, but my motivation is kinda low :). I'd rather just do the trainer/legendary chains to get upgrade stones.

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » December 28th, 2013, 1:35 pm

I think it's still early to include Celestial Pets in this list, seeing a lot of collectors are still trying to collect and level enough pets to qualify—and even more are still trying to build up a formidable armada to beat it. I have 141 pets at max level, and I only just started the tournament. And I know that several other collectors don't want to enter the tournament until they feel they're fully ready with a good collection of battle-worthy pets.

And the "Crazy For Cats" achievement?

Short of buying a Guardian Cub of the Auction House for 3k, or a Black Tabby Cat for 7k, or a Spectral for 100k, the Celestial Tournament will reward a lot of players with the last cat for their title. So for many, there is a direct correlation between the title and the tournament, and if you haven't entered the tournament you don't have the title.

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » December 29th, 2013, 6:55 am

I have 569 pets but only 20 at max level. It just takes soooooo much time to level them, I just can't be bothered right now. I did try the tournament, but just didn't have the right pets at 25 to beat it. For example, I don't have a single undead at max.
At the moment, I'm doing PVP battles to get my 250 wins for the Direhorn (I'm at 158 right now) so that takes up most of my time in WoW.

Rioriel
Top Rater
Pet Score:10504
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Rioriel » December 29th, 2013, 7:02 am

I'm missing Yu'la from the Celestials, but all the other achievements achieved.

To be honest, it's all I do in-game other than farming up motes of harmony (to turn into tol'vir fragments, curse you crawling craw) and the one Timeless Isle daily (curse you Shahao rep). Often take 2-month breaks, cos it's easy to burn out but I love the mini-game. Once I stopped really caring about multiplayer content, it's a fantastic way to still be in my favourite fictional world, but still achieve things.