Share pet collecting news and advice.
Kurasu
Top Rater
Pet Score:10017
BattleTag®:Kurasu#2861
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu
Wrong Stone Confusion (Snowy Owl)

Post by Kurasu » December 22nd, 2013, 8:22 am

After defeating a Snowy Owl, Spider, and Robo-chick combination, I was shocked to receive a Flawless Beast Stone. Not *upset* (I can always use beast stones) but definitely shocked.

Have they changed the way stones drop? It used to be, the primary pet's type was the type of stone that dropped. And up to this point, has been how it was with all the stones I got. ... or is this just an 'Oops' with the Snowy Owl?

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Re: Wrong Stone Confusion (Snowy Owl)

Post by Graven » December 22nd, 2013, 9:37 am

Is it possible that the snowy owl shares its spawn points with a beast-type pet during the non-Winter months? Maybe the game still considers it a spider (or whatever) for loot purposes.

Kurasu
Top Rater
Pet Score:10017
BattleTag®:Kurasu#2861
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Kurasu » December 22nd, 2013, 10:45 am

I suppose it's a possibility. The owl that dropped the stone was in the valley, where if it shared spawns, it would have shared it with a Crystal Spider. So, wouldn't other people have gotten Beast/Critter stones instead of Flying Stones instead as well? Because that wouldn't be a 'one-time' glitch, for sure. At least not that I know of.

I remember that at one time, the wavelings would drop multiple types of stone. I wonder if this is the same situation: someone mis-set a trigger on what stones are supposed to drop. Or maybe there *is* a way to glitch-drop stones.

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » December 22nd, 2013, 11:49 am

I've had this happen quite a number of times. Enough to conclude that it isn't based on the primary pet. I'm not sure if it ever has been. Perhaps there is a larger chance of getting a stone from the 1st type, but I've not seen sufficient evidence to confirm that.

I think that when a stone for the 1st pet type drops, it's easy to conclude that stone drops are based on the first pet. But there's a 1 in 3 chance that you will get either. And if you're up against a team with two flying, and one beast, odds are that you will still get a flying stone; but there's that smaller chance of getting a beast stone. In your case you had a one in three chance of getting either.

This is why when I level pets in wild battles I always do it by the striders. Most of the pets you will fight there will be aquatic, with a rather small chance of getting a flying stone. I would rather get all of one stone type because I can turn them in three at a time for a nameless stone, which I've already done several times with aquatic stones. And if I happen to get a flying stone? I still have 6 flying pets I need to upgrade, including my Snowy Owl. :D

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » December 22nd, 2013, 2:44 pm

I don´t think it is 100% that you get a stone based on the primary pet, just much more likely.