Stuck with Low Lvl Teams in PVP Challenges

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us
Stuck with Low Lvl Teams in PVP Challenges

Post by Abashera » December 20th, 2013, 11:01 am

I opened an in game ticket for this, and I'm posting it here in hopes that others will do the same, so we can get this changed. I also posted this on the main forums. But if you've ever posted anything to the main wow forums, you know that all you will get are trolls. So I'm making my appeal here where people who care about pet battles hang out.

Whenever another player invites you to a duel, your present team, whatever you have ready, you are STUCK with that team. The game automatically locks you into that team, and you can't switch teams, or pets.

The problem here is that the person inviting you to duel probably has a very good team all ready; but you on the other hand, if you have been leveling, so you have a leveling team on hand. Which means that if you accept the duel, you will be pitting your level 1, and your level 10, and one level 25, against his THREE lvl 25s.

When you try to change your team you get the message in your chat:

Pet battle already in progress

So this time I was up by the Ruby Lake waiting for Garnia, and an Alliance player and I were goofing off, and showing off our pets. All the pets he summoned were lvl 25, and the same with mine. So he must have thought I would be good for a challenge. He invited me to a duel; but I had a leveling team out that had a very low level pet on it. I had to decline. Then he jumped off the cliff and was gone. Because he is Alliance I could not whisper him to ask him if I could get my team ready.

This is what happens EVERY TIME some random player challenges me to a pet battle. I have to decline. And they leave before I can whisper them.

This mechanic is poorly designed, and doesn't encourage World Pet PVP. It kills it; unless you WANT to pit your lvl 1s and 10s against a full team of 25s, and get slaughtered.

We should be allowed to assemble a proper PVP team before accepting the duel.

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Stuck with Low Lvl Teams in PVP Challenges

Post by GilroyKilroy » December 20th, 2013, 1:52 pm

I agree. Usually I will refuse and whisper them to try again one I pick my team.

Hypah
Top Rater
Pet Score:2214
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Hypah » December 20th, 2013, 1:56 pm

You could've done /wait to the Alliance player.
But other then that, just whisper the person before you decline it that you want to switch your team, thats what I do at least.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » December 20th, 2013, 2:01 pm

I learned this the hard way the first time someone randomly challenged me to a PVP duel. It'd be nice if the game gave you a "Set your teams now" option or even a warning "Are you sure you want to use" *shows team of pets* before you started, but I think Bliz doesn't consider that a necessity. The assumption is if you're challenging someone face to face, you're doing it to have fun and pass some time, or you're working on a PVP strat against a buddy, neither of which would really be ruined by forgetting to switch teams.

In the end, my first "not realizing I had to switch teams" experience worked out in some weird cosmic way. The other player and I had a good laugh over my very random leveling team, complete with some low level pet, which of course he trounced, then I switched to my actual PVP team and beat him. After that we'd wave at each other whenever we passed one another. Eventually I pugged into a raid with him and then he pugged into one of mine. And all this happened because I didn't realize I couldn't change teams after accepting the challenge!