Use for Soothe?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu
Use for Soothe?

Post by Vek » December 18th, 2013, 3:28 am

Anyone found a use for this delayed cc?

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Re: Use for Soothe?

Post by Abashera » December 18th, 2013, 9:17 am

I used it with my Eternal Strider on the Crimson Geodes to put them to sleep before they could Stone Rush themselves to death. An Aqua Strider would have been better due to the speed. And a turkey's food coma works even better than Soothe, but I didn't have a turkey at the time.

In PVP I think Soothe would be more of an annoyance, seeing it doesn't actually do any of it's own damage. The enemy is forced to swap a pet, which causes them to lose one turn; But you have effectively lost a turn your self by using an ability that doesn't do any damage—it seems to cancel itself out.

I suppose if you were both down to your last two pets, and they put a pet on the back line so that it won't be killed (perhaps because it's weak against your pet) ...you could force it back into play and finish it off.

But for forcing swaps, I personally feel that the Crawling Claw is the king, because you also do 162 undead damage. Put a DOT on their pet, swap it into their back-line, and repeat as often as possible.

(EDIT: I just came up with a good use!

If you come up on a pet that has one of those Wind-Up abilities (as I call them). Like Lil' Bad Wolf, or Kun-Lai Runt. If a Kun-Lai hits you with Frost Shock, you can bet the next ability will be Deep Freeze. After that it's curtains for you. So as soon as you get hit by FS, you had better swap your pet out before it's too late. You will ruin their big hit by swapping out your pet; but you will also have used your turn to do the swap, affording them one extra damaging hit than you.

Instead, hit them with Soothe in the beginning. Then hit Pump or Healing Wave. Even if they manage to get Deep Freeze off on you, they will be forced to swap before they can get you with Takedown. Same strategy goes for the Lil' Bad Wolf - Mangle > Howl > Counterstrike.)
Last edited by Abashera on December 18th, 2013, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » December 18th, 2013, 10:15 am

When I was figuring out my own strats on the celest tourny, I found that a black lamb that cast sooth on the first round of chi-chi would prevent ethereal for a bit, allowing a lot more damage (he didn't seem to use it on his first "awake" round for whatever reason). My old strat was sooth->chew->stampede and repeat. I had a black lamb and summit kid do that and it worked well (although not as fast as some of the other posted strats). I kinda feel like sooth has some uses in PvE since most abilities there are easier to telegraph. Honestly though, I rarely use it at the moment.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » December 18th, 2013, 12:13 pm

The most frequent use I have for it is to get a lvl 1 pet through their first tamer battle so they can survive a hit. I use a strider with sooth and heal so it can solo the deadwind pass trainer and I always time it so I sooth, heal on the can't do dmg round and then swap in the carry pet. Just have to wait until the last pet or the npc will usually swap pets.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » December 19th, 2013, 4:57 am

Ok. For PvE that might be useful, to switch in a lowbie. For PvP, only use might be to soothe, heal and switch, so you get a "free" switch even though you still get hit when casting soothe, so seems not really useful.

If only it wouldn't be removed by first hit then it could have been of more use I guess.