Battle-Pet Strength Logic

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us
Battle-Pet Strength Logic

Post by Abashera » December 18th, 2013, 9:46 pm

A friend of mine mentioned that he has a hard time remembering which pet families are strong against what other. I gave him this list and he thought it was awesome. So I thought I'd pass it on here. This is how I remember which is strong against the other, and I made this up because I have a hard time remembering lists without any reasoning behind it.

There seems to be a logic behind how blizzard set it up, which corresponds with the real world... well, real world logic anyway. The only one I haven't figured out the logic to yet is Magical Vs Birds. But as long as I have all the others down that one is easy to remember.

So for all the Left Brain thinkers out there...

- Birds eat Fish.
- Water puts out Fire. (Aquatic kills Elemental)
- Elements are bad for Machinery.
- Traps kill Beasts (Mechanical Vs Beast) .
- Cats kill Mice. (Beasts kill Critters)
- Critters eat Corpses (Undead).
- Zombies eat (Human) brains.
- Knights (Humans) slay Dragons.
- Dragons are made by magic and are therefor strong against Magical.
- Magic kills Birds (because I guess they have nothing else to do???)

Now I haven't worked out defense yet. Not beyond "water cleans filth" for Aquatic has strong defense against undead.

Jabart
MVP
Pet Score:1878
BattleTag®:jonyeh420#1172
Realm:Madoran-us

Re: Battle-Pet Strength Logic

Post by Jabart » December 19th, 2013, 12:20 am

Abashera wrote:- Magic kills Birds (because I guess they have nothing else to do???)
Because pigeons are used as props by show magicians (and conceivably mistreated in the process).
Squee and Jabart on Madoran (H)
battletag: jonyeh420#1172

Abashera

Post by Abashera » December 19th, 2013, 12:24 am

LOL. I like that. It sounds kinda ludicrous yet true at the same time. But hey, you know, I can remember that.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » December 19th, 2013, 6:16 am

How about: Magic kills birds (because bees shouldn't fly!) :)

It's an interesting mnemonic device, though when you add in that you need to explain what something is WEAK against, too, you might be better off just printing [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/downloads/WoW-Pet-Battles-Cheat-Sheet.pdf]this PDF[/url] and saving your sanity.

Abashera

Post by Abashera » December 20th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Thanks. But I already have a copy of that chart; as well as a chart I made that takes it from the opposite perspective: "If you're up against this, use this pet" (which works better for me the way my mind works).

But the concept in this thread is to have a way to remember strengths and weaknesses without having to rely on cheat-charts. As a result of this logic, I never need to lean on visual crutches, it's in my head.