Silithid Hatchling = Disappointment :(

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Jestah
Top Rater
Pet Score:2501
Realm:Crushridge-us
Silithid Hatchling = Disappointment :(

Post by Jestah » November 11th, 2012, 12:30 am

Is anyone else out there extremely disappointed with their Silithid Hatchling's skill set? I mean unless I pair him with something that works with Sandstorm, I feel it is useless to me. Also he has Swarm which I think is one of the worst attacks honestly. Okay so it seems my issue with his skills are the third slot choices. I don't know. I just feel like as hard as the little bugger was to get my hands on, I wish he had something more useful.

Thoughts?

Mrbeankc
Pet Score:4299
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Re: Silithid Hatchling = Disappointment :(

Post by Mrbeankc » November 11th, 2012, 3:50 am

On the flip side the guy can take a whipping. Good tank pet. Never been a fan of swarm myself but as far as swarm pets go I think he's better than the cockroaches which I found a rather weak class.

Jestah
Top Rater
Pet Score:2501
Realm:Crushridge-us

Post by Jestah » November 11th, 2012, 11:15 pm

True, that is a positive way of looking at it! I have since decided that if he can live through the 3 attacks, the debuff he puts on their pet for double damage is worth it. So I kinda feel out the situation and decide if I should go for it or not. Take the good with the bad right?

Mushalor
Top Rater

Post by Mushalor » November 12th, 2012, 1:23 am

I was actually just talking about this with my roommate the other day; after over a month of work and wait to get my rare-quality hatchling, and then battling with it a few times, I discovered just how subpar its moveset feels. And honestly, it's not that fantastic of a tank, either. Particularly compared to several others (any crab or turtle comes to mind). It's really disheartening and disappointing, given how much I love the bug/insect pets (...well, most; go away spiders >8C) and the aforementioned effort/annoyance of sandstorms.

I keep thinking how nice it would be if it had, for example, one of the raptor hatchling movesets. They're real beasts (pun intended), and can also take some decent hits.

For now, I'm babying my silithid hatchling to level it to 25, but I sure wouldn't bother if I didn't like its model so much. I may yet relegate it to "looks pretty and is kind of a prestige pet to have" and keep using my team of various striders/snails/humanoids.

tl;dr: yeah, I agree, and wish we had the option to choose from the type's pool of movesets (in this case, beast). Or something.

Cropher
MVP
Pet Score:7153
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Cropher » November 12th, 2012, 8:17 am

IMO, if you want "sandstorm", [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/elemental/elementals/pebble]Pebble's[/url] the way to go. Great tank.

Bistromath
Pet Score:3055
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Bistromath » November 12th, 2012, 9:32 am

I love my Silithid Hatchling, i use it as a "piss" People off pet in PvP. Use Sandstorm then i would change to my Emperor Crab, hitting Shell Shield and then Renewing Mist and for the next like 7 rounds i take no damage from any attack. and im able to damage the enemy, all be it not much. Most time people see a Silithid Hatchling on a team and just leave casue they know the fight will take forever and a day to finish.

Also the Silithid Hatchling is the better pet in this context then Pebble. Ive noticed that Pebble is not protected by the damage reduction effect from the sandstorm weather ability (not sure if im just bugged on that one) which means you are hitting the enemy for alot less but they are hitting your Pebble for normal damage. Also Pebble does have a little 200 hp more then the Tank version of the hatchling, but the Hatchling does have Survival "which people seem to underestimate". Also i feel that if you equip Sandstorm on Pebble you are loosing a very good skill which is Rupture. BTW im strictly speaking PvP pet battles, to me the Silithid is worse then usless in PvE lol.

Also looking at Tank pets so far, im Finding the Emerald Turtle "1969hp w/Shell Shield" is nice, and Emperor Crab "1400hp w/Shell Shield and Renewing Mist are great tanks"

V/R
Edema

Mrbeankc
Pet Score:4299
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Mrbeankc » November 13th, 2012, 6:04 am

Cropher wrote:IMO, if you want "sandstorm", [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/elemental/elementals/pebble]Pebble's[/url] the way to go. Great tank.
Lumpy by the way is the same pet as Pebble. I just leveled them both back to back and indeed they make great tanks.

Adashiel
MVP
Pet Score:3297
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Adashiel » November 14th, 2012, 1:46 pm

I use my silithid hatchling as the opening pet against Aki the Chosen. With Sandstorm up, her cricket is totally incapable of doing damage to you. The silithid's low DPS and the cricket's self-heals means it takes awhile to wear it down, but when you're done, you'll be close to full health. Once the dragon comes out with its massive first hit, I usually have enough health left to counter Thunderstorm with Sandstorm. With the dragon's damage greatly reduced, I can usually finish it off with my pandaren monk in a couple hits. Then I smish the otter with my guardian cub.