What do you name your pets?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Sesamee
Pet Score:7258
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us
Re: What do you name your pets?

Post by Sesamee » November 9th, 2012, 7:55 pm

I love naming my pets! I come up with a wide variety of names, some more clever than others. My favorite name is Percival. That was the name of my pink eyed white rat IRL who was the most adorable sweet loving thing ever. I found a white Stormwind rat that doesn't change colors so I gave him that name. Usually I don't like naming in game pets after rl ones but this just seems to fit somehow!

Pomelo
Pet Score:1012
Realm:Dragonmaw-us

Post by Pomelo » November 10th, 2012, 12:38 am

Definitely. I love that we can change our pets' names now! And, I adore MoP; we pet lovers made out like bandits with this xpac. ^_^

There are some great names in this thread. I haven't renamed all of my pets just yet, I'm going about it rather slowly. But, the collection of names I have chosen, have been sort of eclectic. Some are goofy and playful, others are more personal, and some are just fitting, I think. I tend to name my pets after characters from movies and books that I love. Sometimes, I just choose cute food names or names that make me smile. I like to think of names that might make other people smile and laugh, too. Like, my darting hatchling -- I decided to name him Macaroni. The other day, I helped out a lowbie who was getting ganked and they were just defeated emotionally and having a rough time of it. So, I whipped out Macaroni and they immediately seemed to feel better. They laughed and danced with him. I think that's my favorite type of interaction in the game, really. :3

I've named certain pets after childhood pets, which has made those critters extra special, now.

I think some of my faves so far, are:

Constable - Gilnean Raven
Peanut Butter - Peanut
Besom - Enchanted Broom
Plum - Purple Puffer Fish
Belladonna - Dark Phoenix Hatchling
Tik Tok - Clockwork Gnome

I love that names aren't permanent, either.

Aeovalle
Pet Score:3192
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Aeovalle » November 10th, 2012, 3:57 am

I name my pets after historicle figures like leonardo/octavian and others after awesome anime characters like kisoka/ichigo.... name your favorite pet hisoka. cause he is a bad ass.

Thralla
MVP
Pet Score:2070
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Thralla » November 10th, 2012, 9:20 am

I have always loved naming things. = )

I find that often the names I give my pets have some sort of reference that makes them brilliant names only to myself and anyone else that would get the reference. But not always. Among my favorites are:

Guardian Cub as Talos (a winged guardian in Greek Mythology)

Moonkin Hatchling Alliance side - Moonpie and Horde side - Bazinga.

My Mirror Strider that accompanies my Pandaren Mage is called One Sun. Waffles if you get the reference. More waffles if you connect One Sun to Two Flower my Curious Oracle Hatchling and Wen the Pandaren Monk.

Ninja the Flayer Hatchling, Cogsworth the Mechanical Gnome, Winne de Eww the Infested Bear Cub, Akitla which is a made up "Eskimo" word for snow is my Baby Blizzard Bear, Netherwhelp has always been Sparkles, my Forsaken Shadow Priest is accompanied by Sissie her Singing Sunflower, Embers the Phoenix Hatchling.

Loktra (a "song before battle" in Orcish) is Thralla's Worg Pup companion - to go along with the pattern of naming her hunter pets words in Orcish. (In game orcish not LOR orcish)

My dwarf hunter collects bears and names them after different things to drink so her Dun Morogh Cub is named Toddy.

Despite naming so many, there are some pets though that I just can't think of a name for like my Giraffe Calf. He follows my NE druid around, nameless, but looking great running beside the zehvra she rides.

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » November 10th, 2012, 3:00 pm

Came up with more names yesterday morning. some of the clever ones are:

Core Hound Pup= Cerebrus
Bat= Bruce
Widow Spiderling= Blackarachnia
Darkmoon Cub= Leobreaker (Simba was reserved... boooo)
Azure Whelpling= Saphira
Cheetah Cub= Cheetor

Just to name a few... i came up with probably 20-30. nerd points for references :)

Kaiyou
Top Rater
Pet Score:2289
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Kaiyou » November 10th, 2012, 7:24 pm

I usually name my pets after characters from movies, games, books, etc.

Examples:
Dark Whelpling: Toothless
Phoenix Hatchling: Jean
Cheetah Cub: Simber
Cenarion Hatchling: Buckbeak
Warbot: Bender

Just to name a few :3. I also have some named after movie titles, lol.
Flayer Youngling: Prometheus
Ravager Hatchling: Alien
Blighthawk: Contagion.

I'm nerdy :).

Ecks
Top Rater
Pet Score:4397
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ecks » November 10th, 2012, 7:34 pm

I'm a bit of an RPer, so my pets are often named based off of whichever character might own something like them.

For example:
  • Bob the Sen'jin Fetish
  • Sunny the Fjord Worg Pup
  • Red Eats the Mr. Grubbs
  • Salt the Rustberg Gull
  • Mende the Sand Scarab
Sometimes, though, I'll name things based off of my own whims in an attempt to be humorous.

For example:
  • Mash the Terrible Turnip
Lastly, I'm giving cheese themed names to all of the super cheesy overpowered pets (ala Pokemon's legendaries).

For example:
  • Cheese Fondue the Aqua Strider
  • Mac N Cheese the Lil' XT
  • Cheesepuff the Onyxian Whelpling

Axarien
MVP
Pet Score:5571
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Axarien » November 10th, 2012, 9:34 pm

Boring answer, but I don't name my pets.

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » November 10th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Zaelo wrote:Heheheh there's a lot of awesome suggestions here! Thanks all, I feel quite inspired to find them cute funny names now! :D

Particularly like the magic trio of Bibbety, Bobbety, Bo XD

I thought of maybe making a trio of Personnal World Destroyer - Bender, Magical Crawdad - Zoidberg, but am unsure which other pet/futurama character to add to complete the trio hehe (these two being awesome tanks/stallers, it'd probably be best if the 3rd member was a good nuker)
For a third Futurama referenced pet, Willy renamed Leela?
mykro9#1585

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » November 10th, 2012, 9:59 pm

As far as names I use, I am in the process of grinding to 75 level 25's so I have named all my lvl 25's 'Max' and my sub 25's that are close 'Next' to simplify finding them. I have a handful of named pets, but I have a lone alliance toon among a sea of Horde, a Worgen, who has a gazelle fawn named Justasnack following him around.
mykro9#1585

Pompea
Top Rater
Pet Score:2535
BattleTag®:pomp#1627
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Pompea » November 10th, 2012, 11:47 pm

I name my dragons according to how other dragons are named in lore. For instance, (according to the wikis) dragons from the red dragonflight have names ending in Strasz or Strasza, bronze dragonflight ending is dormu or dormi, etc.

But mostly I pulled names from books. I named several pets from my favorite Gene Wolf novels (my crow named Oreb, my wolf named Gylf). I will probably name my various rabbits from characters in Watership Down, other pets from Animal Far, and maybe one of my chickens will be Chanticleer.

I love books, and I'm awful at names, so this helps me out a lot!

Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Doobjanka » November 11th, 2012, 7:39 am

My naming style is sporadic. I used Google Translate for a few to say hello, goodbye and sorry. I've named some after MVP's on the site. It's not uncommon for me to name pets after whichever guildie is online when I catch it. I even have a few named after my pets or my friends pets. Some RealID friends get pets named after them. It all depends on my mood.
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Riven
Top Rater
Pet Score:3606
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Riven » November 12th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Hellomynameis wrote:Restless Shadeling = Slim Shady

Disclaimer: Not a fan, it's just.. well, the name fits :)
Haha, I love it! ^^

Riven
Top Rater
Pet Score:3606
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Riven » November 12th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Pomelo wrote:Definitely. I love that we can change our pets' names now! And, I adore MoP; we pet lovers made out like bandits with this xpac. ^_^

There are some great names in this thread. I haven't renamed all of my pets just yet, I'm going about it rather slowly. But, the collection of names I have chosen, have been sort of eclectic. Some are goofy and playful, others are more personal, and some are just fitting, I think. I tend to name my pets after characters from movies and books that I love. Sometimes, I just choose cute food names or names that make me smile. I like to think of names that might make other people smile and laugh, too. Like, my darting hatchling -- I decided to name him Macaroni. The other day, I helped out a lowbie who was getting ganked and they were just defeated emotionally and having a rough time of it. So, I whipped out Macaroni and they immediately seemed to feel better. They laughed and danced with him. I think that's my favorite type of interaction in the game, really. :3

I've named certain pets after childhood pets, which has made those critters extra special, now.

I think some of my faves so far, are:

Constable - Gilnean Raven
Peanut Butter - Peanut
Besom - Enchanted Broom
Plum - Purple Puffer Fish
Belladonna - Dark Phoenix Hatchling
Tik Tok - Clockwork Gnome

I love that names aren't permanent, either.
Omg, I also named my Clockwork Gnome Tik Tok! I love Return to Oz. XD

Stompalina
MVP
Pet Score:1451
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Stompalina » November 12th, 2012, 8:54 pm

I tend to name my pets after old guildies.

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » November 12th, 2012, 11:45 pm

I love to find the perfect name! The perfect meaning or something humorous, a word that sounds lovely.. Sometimes I spend hours searching for ideas. It's not always time wasted, I've found out quite a bit about various species from all that browsing, lol. One thing I do is check the names of prehistoric ancestors of that particular animal to see if any had fun names, another thing is check the native range of the animal and then look up baby names from the countries were it lives. Or if something is blue, I might look up the word for blueberry or whatever in various languages. But some of my pets were named spontaneously, or had simple names from long before you could actually put the name in the program. Usually, though, naming is a time consuming processing for me, so a lot of my pets don't have names.

I'm curious, how do you feel about pets that already have a name rather than a description, like Chuck? I haven't renamed my crocs, I can't quite figure out how I feel about that.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » November 13th, 2012, 8:24 am

I'm curious, how do you feel about pets that already have a name rather than a description, like Chuck? I haven't renamed my crocs, I can't quite figure out how I feel about that.

I did name two of my crocs. one of them is Louis from princess and the frog, and the other is Steve Irwin, after the Crocodile Hunter. otherwise I probably wont name the other two

Epicleptic
Top Rater
Pet Score:10816
BattleTag®:Epicleptic#2421
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Epicleptic » November 13th, 2012, 9:15 am

Magical Crawdad: 'Undertow' (Song by Tool)
Disgusting Oozeling: 'Dahmer' (Jeffrey Dahmer, if you know of some of the things he did you may agree)
Singing Sunflower: 'Sammy' (Name of an ex-girlfriend)
Fox Kit: 'Kitkat' (Nickname of an ex-girlfriend)
Hyjal Bear Cub: 'Ted Bundy' (It seemed so appropriate)
Sandy Petrel: 'Kehaar' (The gull in Watership Down)

Serial killers, songs, films, ex-girlfriends, other random stuff too :p

Post by Guest » November 13th, 2012, 10:59 am

Bob ... almost all my pets are named Bob. ([url=http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/icecrown/Koori/pet#status=is-collected]Armory Linky[/url]) The few that are not are the Seagulls they are named Sally after a friend, and my two extra Sunflowers are named Bobtoo and Bobthree ... oh and I have a sand kitten named Pempsbane after a friend who has been unable to capture a rare one. But other than that they are all Bobs! :)

Sesamee
Pet Score:7258
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Sesamee » November 13th, 2012, 11:06 am

Lysi wrote:I love to find the perfect name! The perfect meaning or something humorous, a word that sounds lovely.. Sometimes I spend hours searching for ideas. It's not always time wasted, I've found out quite a bit about various species from all that browsing, lol. One thing I do is check the names of prehistoric ancestors of that particular animal to see if any had fun names, another thing is check the native range of the animal and then look up baby names from the countries were it lives. Or if something is blue, I might look up the word for blueberry or whatever in various languages. But some of my pets were named spontaneously, or had simple names from long before you could actually put the name in the program. Usually, though, naming is a time consuming processing for me, so a lot of my pets don't have names.

This is very similar to how I go about finding names for my pets. For example I named my Pterrordax Hatchling Auria from Dinosauria, the scientific name for the dinosaur group. My dog's nickname is Angelface (yes he's a boy) so I named my Core Hound Pup Fancyfaces. My Flayer Youngling looks like a sloth with those huge mono-claws so I named him Pilos, from Pilosa, the name for the sloth Order. Cholula is my favorite hot sauce so I gave it to my Razzashi hatchling. My loooong sought after snow cub who is finally the perfect breed in the right gender is named Dolce because she looks like a baby version of my favorite hunter pet, Duclinea, a white sabercat. Some names are just silly like Justin Beaver for my Bucktooth Flapper. Arrhenious is my Fel Flame's name and comes from the man who came up with a formula for the temperature dependence of a the rate of a chemical reaction. He's flame, fire, fel, hot, so I thought it fit! My white bandicoon is Swoon because it rhymes and sounds pretty. I found a rare blue one that's the speed breed so I kept her and named her Bluebell. My brown Shy Bandicoon is Fluffy. I have one of all colors in the good breed :)!

So many stories behind so many names! :)

As for pets that already have their own names it can go either way. I just had to name my Monk Phatso. Had too! All the baby crocs like Chuck or Toothy will keep their names. Lil Rag I named Brick Wall since it felt like that's what our guild was pounding our collective head into trying to progress on him on Heroic pre nerf.