Idol/crawdad teams

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Grog3514
Pet Score:3537
Realm:Korgath-us
Idol/crawdad teams

Post by Grog3514 » November 27th, 2013, 1:43 pm

So ive been seeing a lot more of these teams lately and I was thinking that the warcraftpets community could help get this team hit with a nerf bat.

Lets just get as many people as we can using this comp. Yes its boring to play but once half the pet battlers are using it, it should meet the same fate as murk/kovok.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Re: Idol/crawdad teams

Post by Dakaf » November 27th, 2013, 1:59 pm

It's not really op, just annoying as hell. With a good team with weather changes or switches, you can win.
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Grog3514
Pet Score:3537
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Grog3514 » November 27th, 2013, 2:23 pm

I think its more than just annoying. I think it hurts the meta game like kovok/murk did. The only way you are going to win against a decent Idol/crawdad team is with a darkness/darkflame team or if you constantly queue with a blighthawk. Otherwise wins are just RNG which isnt fun.

Changes could be simple. Like give idol dodge instead of deflection. And maybe give a 200% dmg taken debuff for the round that something casts wish. And of course give demolish its stated hit percentage instead of the 75% its bugged at.

If the the team wasnt so popular it wouldn't be much of an issue. But it seems like 30% of my pet battles are using this comp now. Like blossoming ancient/sunflower teams are also really lame, but I only run into them once a week or so. So not really a problem.

Hootstwo
Top Rater
Pet Score:4328
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Hootstwo » November 27th, 2013, 7:57 pm

I'm with Grog. That team totally makes you reconsider the build of your own team. ONE team shouldn't do that.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » November 28th, 2013, 4:15 pm

Theres nothing wrong with healers, you just have to be able to counter them. Though I agree stacking healers can excessively prolong matches, doubly so if theres healers on both sides.

I played a healer team:
Blossoming Ancient
Magical Crawdad
Ruby Droplet

Opposed an enemy team with
Anubisath Idol
Creepy Crate
Fossilized Hatchling.

Managed to wear down the first 2, but lost the ancient and the crawdad. Then I had a 50 round match with the Fossilized Hatchling vs Ruby Droplet. We both kept healing, but my droplets recuperative powers was greater and slowly managed to wear down the Fossilized Hatchling whom used Ancient Blessing on cd to keep healing.

Just like in pvp, I think pet battles needs a sudden death option to speed things up.

Maleric
Pet Score:486
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Maleric » November 29th, 2013, 12:56 pm

Idol/crawdad isn't that hard to beat. Just do enough damage/stuns to the crawdad whenever it's out that they can't afford to use wishes on other pets. The only rough thing about this team right now is the unbalanced high hit chance on demolish, but there are still plenty of pets that can go toe to toe with the idol.

Shagina
Top Rater
Pet Score:3992
Realm:Grim Batol-eu

Post by Shagina » November 29th, 2013, 6:03 pm

It's not that the team has to be hard to beat, it's just that you need certain elements in your team if you want to have any hope of winning in a reasonable amount of time. Playing double/triple healing teams is a dick move, I'll be honest. If there were actual stakes and it was actually performing well above par I could see a reason to it, but right now it just seems designed to piss off people. Now, I'm not going to start throwing rocks (glass houses and all that) about that, but it just seems like the people who play these teams (and this is pure speculation on my part) either really hate their life and can only get some kind of enjoyment out of it by making other people miserable. That, or they are doing their taxes at the same time as battling.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » November 30th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Hootstwo wrote:I'm with Grog. That team totally makes you reconsider the build of your own team. ONE team shouldn't do that.
Eh? You shouldn't have to ever reconsider the build of your pet team?

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » November 30th, 2013, 3:31 pm

Graven wrote:
Hootstwo wrote:I'm with Grog. That team totally makes you reconsider the build of your own team. ONE team shouldn't do that.
Eh? You shouldn't have to ever reconsider the build of your pet team?

To Graven, then you havent really understood what pet battling is about. There is no ultimate team, and you have to adapt yourself to adjust to changing enemies.

Maleric

Post by Maleric » November 30th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Shagina wrote:It's not that the team has to be hard to beat, it's just that you need certain elements in your team if you want to have any hope of winning in a reasonable amount of time. Playing double/triple healing teams is a dick move, I'll be honest. If there were actual stakes and it was actually performing well above par I could see a reason to it, but right now it just seems designed to piss off people. Now, I'm not going to start throwing rocks (glass houses and all that) about that, but it just seems like the people who play these teams (and this is pure speculation on my part) either really hate their life and can only get some kind of enjoyment out of it by making other people miserable. That, or they are doing their taxes at the same time as battling.
Idol/crawdad does force you to have certain elements in your team to reliably beat. But so do a lot of other teams. And idol/crawdad isn't particularly hard to counter.

Shagina
Top Rater
Pet Score:3992
Realm:Grim Batol-eu

Post by Shagina » December 1st, 2013, 4:27 am

Maleric wrote:
Shagina wrote:It's not that the team has to be hard to beat, it's just that you need certain elements in your team if you want to have any hope of winning in a reasonable amount of time.
Idol/crawdad does force you to have certain elements in your team to reliably beat. But so do a lot of other teams. And idol/crawdad isn't particularly hard to counter.
I do believe that's what I said?

Wixey
Top Rater
Pet Score:3266
BattleTag®:Wim#2835
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Wixey » December 1st, 2013, 8:30 am

Maleric wrote:Idol/crawdad isn't that hard to beat. Just do enough damage/stuns to the crawdad whenever it's out that they can't afford to use wishes on other pets. The only rough thing about this team right now is the unbalanced high hit chance on demolish, but there are still plenty of pets that can go toe to toe with the idol.
This post wins. without the broken hit chance it would be much better. Will also fix Anodized Robo Cub teams.

Maleric

Post by Maleric » December 1st, 2013, 12:15 pm

Shagina wrote:
Maleric wrote:
Shagina wrote:It's not that the team has to be hard to beat, it's just that you need certain elements in your team if you want to have any hope of winning in a reasonable amount of time.
I do believe that's what I said?
You said that idol/crawdad requires certain elements on your team, but you did not say that many, possibly most, good PvP teams also require certain elements to beat reliably. The second point is very important because it lends context. In requiring you to have certain elements on your team if you want to beat it regularly, idol/crawdad is by no means unique. If idol/crawdad needs nerfs - the topic of this thread - then so do a bunch of other popular PvP teams.

Ligre
Pet Score:3056
BattleTag®:EricS#1876
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Ligre » December 1st, 2013, 1:36 pm

Idol and Crawdad BOTH fear my Jademist Dancer...j/s.

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » December 2nd, 2013, 9:39 am

The team I'm seeing alot of is blooming Ancient, sunflower,and droplet. I was coasting right along knocking my 10 games out in 30 mins or less, but when they added that tree it really messe me up lol.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » December 2nd, 2013, 5:03 pm

Shagina wrote:Playing double/triple healing teams is a dick move, I'll be honest. If there were actual stakes and it was actually performing well above par I could see a reason to it, but right now it just seems designed to piss off people.
I think this is more an issue with how the reward system is set up for pet battles. A lot of us are trying to maximize wins per hour, but that's only because the achievements don't factor in losses. Someone else who wants to maximize winning percentage might decide that a healer team is their best option, even though winning takes longer. I don't see anything wrong with this either--healing should be a viable strategy, just like AoE, avoidance, etc etc. But unfortunately, if I'm trying to maximize wins-per-hour, then the most efficient use of my time when I see a healer team is to quit and requeue -- because even if I win, it will probably take longer than it takes to wait out the queue and beat somebody else.

If I were a wins-per-time min/maxer, I completely understand how a healer team would seem trollish. But it's a case of don't hate the player, hate the game.

3wd
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by 3wd » December 2nd, 2013, 5:38 pm

Calling for nerf to an idol/crawdad team is ridiculous.

If you really want to do so, how about remove all the healer ability and dodge and evasion ability in this game? or like many people are constantly complaining about the hit rate, yeah lets remove all the hit rate and make all skills 100% to hit.

You think that will make this game better?

Look, if you do not want to play any healer type pet, I got it, that's your choice, same as the game itself, some players never wanted to even try out a healing class because they think its boring (or maybe too challenging).

Idol/crawdad combo is actually fun to play if your opponent is good. I played a team with valk/idol/crawdad last week and ended up winning against a very good opponent in 85 rounds, I must say that's probably one of the best pet battles I ever played.

Playing with or against an idol/crawdad team is always a good challenge, you can actually use lots of strategies through out the battle, how to setup your opponent and how to avoid making mistakes will be the keys, and normally because the battle will be pretty long, its actually a very good chance for you to train yourself to become better in pet battle.

Asphodael
Pet Score:5028
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Asphodael » December 2nd, 2013, 9:52 pm

My only problem is with the terrible demolish bug they refuse to fix. The spell hits as hard as some 3 round cooldown abilities (ie Blood in the Water, Nocturnal Strike..), is spammable, and will hit more often than it misses because of its 70% hit chance. So obnoxious to deal with.

And eh, healer teams would be fine if there was a cap on how many turns a game could go before it just ended in a draw. As it is, forming a team that routinely either takes 40+ turns to finish or making someone just quit is a dick move.

Yamum
Pet Score:4177
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Yamum » December 5th, 2013, 11:08 pm

It's a stupid team. The main problem is the Idol, not the Crawdad. Idol needs some balancing and Demolish needs a fix. It's probably the #1 or #2 pet in the game right now. It's also pretty brainless. Crawdad requires a little more finesse.

It doesn't bother me too much though. They might get a win but it'll take them 10 minutes to get, but I'll win in 2-3 mins with my team.

Wixey
Top Rater
Pet Score:3266
BattleTag®:Wim#2835
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Wixey » December 7th, 2013, 7:13 am

Asphodael wrote:My only problem is with the terrible demolish bug they refuse to fix. The spell hits as hard as some 3 round cooldown abilities (ie Blood in the Water, Nocturnal Strike..), is spammable, and will hit more often than it misses because of its 70% hit chance. So obnoxious to deal with.

And eh, healer teams would be fine if there was a cap on how many turns a game could go before it just ended in a draw. As it is, forming a team that routinely either takes 40+ turns to finish or making someone just quit is a dick move.
Adding draws to the game willl likely not happen. What's the point of having a draw? Do you both get a win point? >> everyone runs with 3 healers.
Does noone get a win point? > Why not just flee then?

Draws will have no added value apart from restoring a bit of your pride :p

It would be nice of having a restriction of only being able to use a pet once a week for pvp. At the moment i'm battling against maybe 20 of the 500-600 pets in the game. Unborn valkyrs, ravens, jademist dancers, anubis, crawdad, death adders, ... Only the strong ones.

I'd love to fight against squirrels and chickens :p