Is the move reflection broken?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
The_guy
Pet Score:4714
Realm:Burning Blade-us
Is the move reflection broken?

Post by The_guy » November 5th, 2012, 5:33 pm

So i was using one of my favorite battle pets a Flayer Youngling, and i use triple snap, reflection, and kick. Now reflection makes the next opponents move miss and then you preform it, but i discovered a weird and odd glitch. This only has happened to me when battling a spider of some type with the move poison spit. When the spider attacks and you use that move, the poison spit will hit you and poison you, but you will still preform the attack also. Ive only found this attack to hit when using that move, but i can see where it would be very hard to try them out and see. Can anyone else confirm this or am i just crazy.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Is the move reflection broken?

Post by Poofah » November 5th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Acidic Goo (on the various oozes and snails) also does this -- it hits and applies its debuff even when the target is protected by Reflection, Lift-Off, Decoy, etc.

Incidentally, have you ever Reflected a Lift-Off/Burrow/Dive? Reflection has a lot of quirks.

The_guy
Pet Score:4714
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by The_guy » November 5th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Poofah wrote:Incidentally, have you ever Reflected a Lift-Off/Burrow/Dive? Reflection has a lot of quirks.
Yes that is funny when it does happen, but its not fair that i also take damage from the hit and get the debuff =/

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » November 5th, 2012, 7:34 pm

I agree, and I think it's not intended and will get fixed eventually -- it's just difficult to predict when they'll get around to it.

Sunturion
Realm:Hellscream-eu

Post by Sunturion » November 6th, 2012, 3:33 am

i also notices when using reflection, and the opponent uses life leech or something similar, you will deal the damage, but not gain the life.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » November 6th, 2012, 9:25 am

Add the ability Stench to the list. It goes through the Reflection but is then tossed back at the opponent.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Mairin
Top Rater
Pet Score:3202
Realm:Blade's Edge-us

Post by Mairin » November 6th, 2012, 11:58 am

Reflection is one of my favorite moves personally just for it's slightly broken mechanics. Have you noticed the way it can "store" a previously reflected move if the current situation is unreflectable?

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=66734#comments:id=1754318

Re: Farmer Nishi (the tamer next to Halfhill with the flower, bug and turnip)
You can solo her with a flayer youngling through some slightly interesting mechanics.

Toothbreaker - Tends to always open with Sons of the Root so start the opening round with a spell reflect. After a bit of damage bouncing back and forward between you he goes down pretty fast spamming Triple Snap.

Siren - Opens by creating a sunny day which ends up being a good thing so save the spell reflect for the 2nd round when Photosynthesis gets cast to get the 5 round sun-enhanced self heal going and then again just pummel it down with Triple Snaps or Rampage.

Brood of Mothran - First round is usually to poison you and then second is to burrow but save your spell reflect until the round where it'll emerge from the burrow (not the submerged "miss" round). Since SR can't reflect burrow after the first round it defaults back to the last thing that was reflected which is Photosynthesis while at the same time blocking all burrow damage. On top of that, burrow and reflect have the same cooldown so now that you've synced them up you can dps it down, avoid burrows and keep up a perma-HoT.
edit.

Another example I recall was with the tamer by Sporegar (sp?) I reflected Tripod's surge of power and then when using reflect on the second round of the firefly's swarm ability it unleashed the surge again.

Imthedci
Pet Score:2862
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Imthedci » November 6th, 2012, 3:24 pm

It's odd that if the enemy uses Flock/Swarm/ect.. on the first round, Reflect will copy that attack, but if they use it on a subsequent round, Reflect will copy the attack that they did the previous round.

Also, it would be easy to fix the problems that Reflect has with Dive/Burrow/etc.. by just giving the Dive/Burrow/etc.. a 1 round duration.

I still remember on the beta realms when Reflect was truly broken - You'd cast it once and it would reflect every attack for the rest of the battle! :lol:

Silkblade
Pet Score:2189
Realm:Steamwheedle Cartel-us

Post by Silkblade » November 9th, 2012, 12:49 am

I'm loving using my flayer Youngling always annoys folk who have a 3 round move with deathy or frosty, just totally negates it although i had a weird glitch happen today, started out normal nether ray fry, he used frosty started off with that big move so swapped in Flayerson (the Youngling) used reflection but he had put in Kirin Tor Familiar and used dark simulacrum so he copied my reflection, and from that point on the Kirin Tor Familiar was completely invincible could do no damage to it at all kinda ruined my nice win streak i had going on too, this happen to anyone else or can test it to see if it'll happen everytime???