Alterac Brew-Pup - Another new & strong PVP team

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
3wd
Realm:Windrunner-us
Alterac Brew-Pup - Another new & strong PVP team

Post by 3wd » November 22nd, 2013, 3:41 pm

Team :

Valk
Murk
Pup

Below is the strategy :

Round 1 : Murk up first, inspiration, Valk up, eat a hit (assume average dmg 350)
2. Valk haunt (double dmg all the way), opponent will eat 300 dmg
3. Pup up, -50% dmg shield, haunt dmg 300
4. pup AOE, each pet of opponent eat 200, haunt 300
5. pup bite, front pet 300, haunt 300, so up to this point, opponent front pet will eat 300X4+ 500 = around 1700 dmg, and if the pup speed is higher than your opponent, the pup will eat 3 round of 50% reduce dmg (again using 350 as average), he will take about total of 525 dmg, that means the pup should still have around 875 HP left. Normally, opponent front pet dead in this round and valk will get up.
6. switch valk in, valk takes second hit, after 2 hit, valk should still have around 800 plus HP, she is undead, that means she should at least last for another 3 rounds no problem.
7. valk normal hit on opponent 2nd pet
8. valk normal hit or haunt if you make sure she will die this round
9. valk haunt or normal hit, valk is done
10. Murk in, inspiration CD is over, so inspiration again, haunt will still tick this round, most likely opponent's second pet will die, if not, he will have very little HP. pup will be jumping in, take another hit, probably have 450 HP or so left
11. pup AOE, note : the AOE dmg will be shared with whatever number of pet left, so with the inspiration buff on, if opponent still have 2 pets left, each will eat 618X1.25 = 772 dmg, second pet will for sure be dead, if opponent's second pet already dead, then his 3rd pet will eat the fully dmg of 1500+ and then he is fully done.
12. depends on the speed, the pup should still able to pull another bite of 400 dmg.
13. OK, if there is still miracle left and your pup died last round, you still have a full HP murk coming up, a 100% guaranteed falling dmg of 684 is on the way....

Granted, above strategy is only based on your opponent is a dummy and use no special skills or strategy at all and likewise there are many pets can counter that.

But still, you can see the power of the combo coming out from this team mentioned.

3wd

Re: Alterac Brew-Pup - Another new & strong PVP team

Post by 3wd » November 22nd, 2013, 3:50 pm

For the skills set of these 3 pets, if above strategy will be used, then the most important element will be hit, because you do not want an extra miss hit to screw up the rotation.

Hence the valk should use shadow slash instead of shock, as for the murk, you can see from this rotation, he basically will not need to do any kind of DPS, so his first skill should use blessed hammer as this is an awesome skill to break a lots of different kind of protection your opponent will put up.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » November 22nd, 2013, 4:20 pm

Yes, I think we'll see a lot of Murk + Pup. RI+Avalanche is almost as much damage as RI+Bonestorm, and he has very good stalling abilities to let RI cool down.

The Murk nerf didn't address the core issue, so Murk is not going away any time soon. Basically, any time you find a high-cooldown/high-damage ability that is worth using on its own, it's almost guaranteed to be too strong with RI.

3wd

Post by 3wd » November 22nd, 2013, 5:07 pm

Poofah wrote:Yes, I think we'll see a lot of Murk + Pup. RI+Avalanche is almost as much damage as RI+Bonestorm, and he has very good stalling abilities to let RI cool down.

The Murk nerf didn't address the core issue, so Murk is not going away any time soon. Basically, any time you find a high-cooldown/high-damage ability that is worth using on its own, it's almost guaranteed to be too strong with RI.
Yup, the unique design of avalanche is to divide the damage among the EXISTING pets, this along makes it the strongest AOE skill, because in late game, this will turn into a big one hit killer.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » November 22nd, 2013, 6:02 pm

Poofah wrote:The Murk nerf didn't address the core issue
Pretty much why I felt like it wasn't much of an issue. It was a slight nerf to his utility, sure. Longer CD on RI obviously makes the buff less frequent, and not being able to take Shieldstorm at the same time takes away a strong defensive move. But RI is a good ability, and being able to take Falling Murloc instead of Shieldstorm really improves the second slot because it makes him less anemic when he's the last pet standing.
so Murk is not going away any time soon
Which is not a bad thing.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » November 22nd, 2013, 6:50 pm

Gilneas wrote:Pretty much why I felt like it wasn't much of an issue. It was a slight nerf to his utility, sure. Longer CD on RI obviously makes the buff less frequent, and not being able to take Shieldstorm at the same time takes away a strong defensive move. But RI is a good ability, and being able to take Falling Murloc instead of Shieldstorm really improves the second slot because it makes him less anemic when he's the last pet standing.
Well, I guess it depends on what you feel the issue is. You're right that the nerf did not knock Murk out of the top tier of 5.4 pvp. And I agree that that's good--I hate seeing pets get overnerfed and made irrelevant. But in this case I think it's for the wrong reasons. They kept RI in an overpowered form while taking away the utility of Shieldstorm. So Murk is now just an RI-bot and not an interesting support pet. But his one trick is so overwhelmingly strong that it's enough to keep him in the top tier by itself.

Valk is the same way with Haunt: one trick that's vastly more damage than other abilities and has very little risk associated with it. It makes them both very strong but very one-dimensional pets, and therefore not that interesting to play (with or against).

I think it's unfortunate, because RI and Haunt are some of the most innovative and flavorful abilities they've come up with for pet battles. But in their current form, they're being overplayed because they're too strong, and not because they're interesting or flavorful.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » November 22nd, 2013, 7:48 pm

Poofah wrote:So Murk is now just an RI-bot and not an interesting support pet.
Think that's where I'm seeing it differently. Before he felt too support-oriented. Always felt somewhat weak by himself when he was the last standing (not uncommon). Being able to take Falling Murloc makes him feel like more than just a buff-bot, though certainly RI is his biggest funciton.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » November 22nd, 2013, 9:40 pm

Gilneas wrote:
Poofah wrote:So Murk is now just an RI-bot and not an interesting support pet.
Think that's where I'm seeing it differently. Before he felt too support-oriented. Always felt somewhat weak by himself when he was the last standing (not uncommon). Being able to take Falling Murloc makes him feel like more than just a buff-bot, though certainly RI is his biggest funciton.
I have to agree with Gilneas, he is actually more interesting now, he can actually make use of his high power now. Though I agree Righteous Inspiration is so good that youd never take Shieldstorm over it.

Though I cant see much pve use for Murkalot, he feels much more pvp oriented.

Asphodael
Pet Score:5028
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Asphodael » November 23rd, 2013, 12:34 am

I don't mind the Murkalot change. He's an absolute monster as a last pet right now. Righteous Inspiration + Falling Murloc = 1400+ (1900+ crit). Just ends games.

Pikafido
MVP
Pet Score:13608
BattleTag®:Pikafido#2789
Realm:Aerie Peak-eu

Post by Pikafido » November 24th, 2013, 1:22 pm

i think this team is pulled back. or im facing a minefield team or i face a team with deathgrip teams, which means my rotation is disturbed. the last 20 fights i only won 2 or 3. and those where flees.

Brisela

Post by Brisela » November 24th, 2013, 2:34 pm

yeah the idea is you can't build a strong pvp team around murkalot anymore. Murk is a solo beast(humaonoid) now due to the nerf and that does not make other 2 pets strong because of the nerf. Pup is a decent pet.

Brisela

Ridgebj
Pet Score:3993
BattleTag®:dds#1808
Realm:Gundrak-us

Post by Ridgebj » November 25th, 2013, 5:09 pm

Pikafido wrote:i think this team is pulled back. or im facing a minefield team or i face a team with deathgrip teams, which means my rotation is disturbed. the last 20 fights i only won 2 or 3. and those where flees.
I haven't faced minefield teams but I still beat deathgrip teams due to opponents expecting certain moves in acertain order.

Vindagor
Pet Score:803
BattleTag®:LeechLord#1746
Realm:Blackhand-us

Post by Vindagor » November 26th, 2013, 2:00 am

I haven't seen a lot of Brew Pups yet, but I haven't lost to one so far. I've been using Scalded Basilisk and just laugh at Murk teams.