Celestial Tournament RNG

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Bretonas
Top Rater
Pet Score:12312
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu
Re: Celestial Tournament RNG

Post by Bretonas » September 25th, 2013, 6:47 am

Whenever DMF is up again I will get a 2nd [pet]Darkmoon Zeppelin[/pet]. For some reason I hardly ever use the tank.
Was also thinking of buying another [pet]Clockwork Gnome[/pet] from the AH since there is currently no other pet with the 'Build Turret' ability which generally comes in handy on many fights.

Bit bad actually that I have to do that considering I'm sitting on 200 pets at level 25. I'll just blame Blizzard for adding dozens of cockroaches, beetles and moths to the game with identical (but mostly useless) abilities. :)

Darrenaf1
Pet Score:2400
Realm:Nordrassil-us

Post by Darrenaf1 » September 25th, 2013, 10:31 am

Yes, I am going to get me another tonk (maybe 2). I just find that shock and awe/Ion cannon combo highly effective.

Licht
Realm:Runetotem-eu

Post by Licht » November 23rd, 2013, 5:04 am

Made an account to also whine here a bit :)

I have the same feeling with RNG on the Tournament.
You got annouyed if u can restart - when you have a miss or get critted once.

Also what is an indicator from my point of view for bad RNG design is -
that if u do a miniboss with same team u sometimes fail and sometimes kill him without touching ur third pet.

Anyway - we are addicted ppl - Blizz knows that :)

We keep it up :)
Although sometimes it's REALLY ...

Aho!
Licht

Kateuk
Pet Score:7240
Realm:Azuremyst-eu

Post by Kateuk » November 23rd, 2013, 6:17 am

I work full time and don't get all that much time for wow. I enjoy pet battles and thought I was doing well with 50+ max level pets, but I don't have a lot of the "recommended" ones for this tournament, and it will take me a long time to level more. I did have a day off work a while back and tried the tournament, hours of trial and error and RNG and I got through the first part, but I ran out of time. I went back to it a few days later and the ones I'd worked out strategies for were gone, it was another lot. I guess I need to wait until I have a few days off over Christmas...weekends are too short for this with all I have to do. Such a shame you can't "save" it at a certain point and go back to it.

Shagina
Top Rater
Pet Score:3992
Realm:Grim Batol-eu

Post by Shagina » November 23rd, 2013, 7:04 am

The tournament is 90% preparation, most of which doesn't require you to be in the game. Once you're worked out strategies for all the fights you can do the whole thing in about 15 minutes. I had less than 40 pets at max level the first time I beat it, it does require you to get creative. What I did was figure out how to beat the 4 celestials first (through wowhead commenst, mostly) with the pets I had, then I mentally marked those pets as unavailable. After that I looked at what I was left with and made teams accordingly. It wasn't pretty, but it got me through with some trial and error.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » November 23rd, 2013, 9:45 am

Hey folks
I started the Celestial tourney 101 thread which became a beast with feedback and can be hairy to read through but I have edited the OP a few times to reflect when RNG beat me up

My personal experience has not been trouble free the last 2 weeks and I have 130+ pets at lvl 25. I recommend having a double of Chrominius and Pandaren Water spirit (I don't BTW) and the trouble patches I hit were ChiChi and Wrathion but I think it varies depending on your stable

Best of luck to all vs RNG

Eekabu
Pet Score:3307
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Eekabu » November 23rd, 2013, 9:54 am

I agree with the OP. I am one of those with the suggested pets and duplicates. Yet, it happens that one week I finish the tournament in one go, and the other I keep on restarting the tournament purely because of bad rng. I have back up teams for the seven encounters but I've seen it happen that even my back up teams get wasted due to rng. All it takes sometimes is one miss on my side or one big crit on the other.

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » November 25th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Warbeauty wrote:Is anyone else extremely frustrate with all the randomness?
Most of the times it's okay. I kill what I deem is the 'hardest' trainer first and, after them, I get Xu and Zao out of the way first. That way I don't have to do everything over fifty million times. :lol:

Sometimes it's just terrible. Last week my kun-lai got eaten by the cricket pet. He didn't do any real damage on that thing. He missed on all three Rampage hits. His dot missed. Nocturnal strike misses a ton with Sully otter pet too, even with darkness. Stupid cute face.

Svenolaf
Pet Score:2669
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Svenolaf » November 27th, 2013, 6:21 pm

After multiple attempts finally won the Tournament today after lots for failed attempts. It took reading a lot from forums and doing each one multiple times to get the right combo and rotation of each. The worst part was the 4, I could not seem to get them all at once, win two then fail and run out of good pets. Good luck to everyone else and hope some of this info helps you.

This was my setup and who I had to battle this week.

Blingtron 4000
• Tolai Hare H/B
• Alpine foxling Kit B/B
• Pandaren Earth Spirit H/P

Wise Mari
• Qiraji Guardling
• Anubisath Idol H/H
• Cogblade Raptor B/B
Shademaster Kiryn
• Anubisath Idol H/H
• Clockwork Gnome S/B
• Dancing Waterskimmer H/S