just getting started need team suggestions

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Jayross
Pet Score:354
Realm:Emerald Dream-us
just getting started need team suggestions

Post by Jayross » November 17th, 2013, 12:53 am

hello all i am new to this pet battling thing and i was looking for some advice for building a team. I like my character to use things that make it feel somewhat in relation its character design/ lore so I am trying to build a death knight themed team, so any combination of pets that look like they would go with death knights would be great ( they dont necessarily have to be undead pets, like i know the plague bear is a beast and not undead and the leeches are beasts and not undead but they fit with dks) i am asking because im just getting into pet battles and i'm still unsure of what pets go together to make playable ( doesnt have to be uber tier or broken) teams.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

p.s. i was looking at little kt from the blizzard store, is that pet worth paying for? what about lil xt?

edit*

also since my character is an undead engineer, i could also mix in some nice mechanical pets to give it an engineering flare if that helps make it easier to spruce a team together. thanks again for any suggestions

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Re: just getting started need team suggestions

Post by Peanutty » November 17th, 2013, 1:20 am

Lil KT and Lil XT are both pretty decent pets if you want to spring for those. I like the idea of a maggot type pet to add to the team as well. Assuming you're starting from level 1, I guess Mr. Grubbs would be the easiest to get, or you can wait and pick up a Maggot as low as level 4 or 5.

Other than the general "undead for DK/mechanical for engineering pets," I would imagine specifically that Scourged Whelpling or Mr. Bigglesworth would be fun choices as well though they would require that you had higher level pets or collected all the pets for an achievement, respectively.

If possible you will want to avoid a team that is all one family (i.e. all Undead) - so going with Lil KT, Lil XT and a maggot would give you an undead, mechanical and beast, which should be a decent combination to start with.

Oh, and just noticed... Infested Bear Cub is undead, not a beast, FYI.

Liopleurodon
Site Admin
Pet Score:3652
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Liopleurodon » November 17th, 2013, 8:59 am

IME, nearly any team is playable, especially if you're not going to PVP. PVE tamers are less about battling per se, and more like using what you've learned to solve a puzzle. There's going to be a point where you have to deviate from your one team in order to win, eventually.

For a DK-themed team, aside from the obvious Undeads, I'd suggest a maggot, like PP said, and maybe look at an oozeling or slime. Spiders are popular choices right now, and would serve well in a creepy crawly kind of team. Roaches too. Maybe a snake would work, too.
xoxo, Your Pet Battling BFF, Tamer Liopleurodon.
http://www.battlepetroundup.com/

Corah
Pet Score:13318
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Corah » November 17th, 2013, 11:04 am

I would highly suggest that you find and level a [pet]Clockwork Gnome[/pet], it's just too useful for trainer battles to ignore. Some sort of Oozling is also very useful and kinda fits in with the whole death gross thing.

Brisela

Post by Brisela » November 17th, 2013, 11:19 am

I would suggest you get really good with rabbit s/s breed, fawn the h/p breed and the cat s/s breed. Rabbit is the tank wih dodge and burrow, fawn is the heals with dot healz and team healz and cat is the dps with self healz :D

Brisela

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » November 17th, 2013, 7:08 pm

Liopleurodon wrote:For a DK-themed team, aside from the obvious Undeads, I'd suggest a maggot, like PP said, and maybe look at an oozeling or slime. Spiders are popular choices right now, and would serve well in a creepy crawly kind of team. Roaches too. Maybe a snake would work, too.
Gaz'rooki maybe (only thing in aquatics that could fit IMO)
Any of the Infested animals
Beetles/scarabs
Worms (silkworm or gu'chi swarmling)
Chrominus maybe (like a freaky doberman?)
Dark or infinite whelpling
Bats
Crow/Raven
Flayer youngling
either of the sprites from the timeless isle (they look nasty)
Unborn Val'kyr, most of the undead, but mostly the val'kyr
Bog beast, jade tentacle, droplet of yadfbdfsv and/or gooey sha-ling
Slimes

There's loads of stuff that could fit a DK Theme.

Iskarjareck
Pet Score:7963
Realm:Tarren Mill-eu

Post by Iskarjareck » November 19th, 2013, 5:06 pm

Having recently gotten into the pet battling myself... the first priority is to try and level a few pets to 25... makes levelling further pets MUCH easier.

I'd 100% suggest making one a mechanical and one a beast... the third being a flyer or magic will tend to be most helpful.

I found it somewhat frustrating just trying to level the pets I liked most from level 1. And eventually happened upon this combo that worked from using pets I liked.

[I used a Darkmoon Zep, Nightsaber cub and a selection of third pets. Devour worked well for keeping health up.]

I found that you will most commonly be facing beasts, critters and aquatic or flying... having pets strong against these makes life so very much easier :)

Brisela

Post by Brisela » November 19th, 2013, 6:24 pm

Chsnge it out or critter level them to level 3 and queue find battles

Keep it up I want to see you be the legendary pet brawler :D

Brisela

Skyquake
MVP
Pet Score:4379
BattleTag®:Seamus#1218
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Skyquake » November 19th, 2013, 6:55 pm

Kel'Thuzad once nursed a plague-infected [pet]Scourged Whelpling[/pet] to adulthood, feeding it only the finest liquefied remains...

This pet is not easy to obtain at all, let alone as a rare. A great strategy is to log in at your server's normal maintenance restart time, even if it's not restarting that week. You want a H/H Breed, and that's fairly important. If I were just starting out, this is the first pet I would use a Battle Stone on. The DK flavor is gravy. Cheers!
Last edited by Skyquake on November 20th, 2013, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brisela

Post by Brisela » November 19th, 2013, 7:33 pm

Why ps?
If used plage blood you want slower speed and higher hp :D

Brisela

Skyquake
MVP
Pet Score:4379
BattleTag®:Seamus#1218
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Skyquake » November 20th, 2013, 7:07 pm

Brisela wrote:Why ps?
If used plage blood you want slower speed and higher hp :D

Brisela
Derp. That's what I meant. Thanks.

Elfuego
Pet Score:3958
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Elfuego » November 21st, 2013, 7:23 pm

Hey Sky, I was reading your thread here and just wanted to share some ideas with you. When I first started, I used 3 Harbingers of flame and just powered thru a lot of my opponents, but as time went on, I started to see how other things engaged me. A core of any good celestial battler is going to have : Anubisath Idol, Crow S/S, Gilnean Raven S/S if you can find them on the AH, as they only come in B/B now as of 5.3, Crawling Claw, scourged whelpling, H/H, Flayer Youngling S/S, and Son of Animus. Those few are crazy powerful against a majority of trainers and even pvp arenas. Looks like people are giving you some good advice, so keep looking around!

your welcome to look around my site if you want further details on the tournament or daily strategies on powerleveling pets
http://www.wowpetbattle.com/index.html

[profile]Elfuego[/profile]
GET OWNED!

Hadrimmdar
Pet Score:3695
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Hadrimmdar » November 22nd, 2013, 8:41 am

Corah wrote:I would highly suggest that you find and level a [pet]Clockwork Gnome[/pet], it's just too useful for trainer battles to ignore. Some sort of Oozling is also very useful and kinda fits in with the whole death gross thing.
I'm going to second this about the clockwork gnome. I happened to have one when I decided to start pet battling and it was fantastic for it. Just don't use it to try to capture pets because those turrets will keep damaging. (I learned the hard way lol). And once I got the achievement to get the Celestial Dragon I found that one was great too.

Ligre
Pet Score:3056
BattleTag®:EricS#1876
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Ligre » November 22nd, 2013, 12:24 pm

How is it that nobody has mentioned a Restless Shadeling to be part of a DK themed team? :)

Jayross

Post by Jayross » November 22nd, 2013, 10:35 pm

so i just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their suggestions, soo far my dk themed pet team is shaping up to be a trisfal battling ( representing uh dk) the maggot ( blood dk) and then for frost im either going to buy lil xt or catch the unborn valk'yr.

i also just put together another team because of some pets i noticed i had. basically its an all dog team i think has potential to be pretty sweet. the dogs on my team are

perky pug
core hound
stitched pup

i kinda like this team as it seems pretty balanced and unique ( been reading and it seems the popular teams all seem to spam rag) but anyway, are there any dogs or dog similar pets you guys could suggest for me to check out? i already looked under the canine section and i'm thinking about maybe getting the brew pup over the perky pug. what do u pro poke errrr pet masters think?

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » November 23rd, 2013, 12:50 am

Jayross wrote:so i just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their suggestions, soo far my dk themed pet team is shaping up to be a trisfal battling ( representing uh dk) the maggot ( blood dk) and then for frost im either going to buy lil xt or catch the unborn valk'yr.
Love the idea of using all three trees of your class to make a team!
Jayross wrote:i also just put together another team because of some pets i noticed i had. basically its an all dog team i think has potential to be pretty sweet. the dogs on my team are

perky pug
core hound
stitched pup

i kinda like this team as it seems pretty balanced and unique ( been reading and it seems the popular teams all seem to spam rag) but anyway, are there any dogs or dog similar pets you guys could suggest for me to check out? i already looked under the canine section and i'm thinking about maybe getting the brew pup over the perky pug. what do u pro poke errrr pet masters think?
Kinda cool that you were able to find three dogs from different families, so that'll give you some versatility. I haven't really used my Brew Pup yet but it certainly looks like it'll be a really good pet. Or if you aren't sure about buying one just yet, you could also consider Worg Pup or Moon Moon for that slot, the dance ability is pretty good for boosting the whole team.

Jayross

Post by Jayross » November 24th, 2013, 9:44 pm

thanks. getting that theme together took quite a bit of work. i had a team drawn up for mage also and that team was so much easier lol. the dog team was origionally a hunter themed team cuz u know, hunter dogs and what not