Tiggindy's advice for pet leveling

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us
Re: Tiggindy's advice for pet leveling

Post by Tiggindy » November 1st, 2013, 6:24 am

Flopsyhunt wrote:EDIT: No, I was talking about the right boss. The comment about the drop had nothing to do with this boss and was just confusing. That is the only one of the four I still need now (I bought 3 of them and got an extra water one drop). My ooze still gets eaten up by the first pet. I just managed to pull it out with a Jade Oozeling first and a Disgusting Ooozeling second. The second died right as his third died, so my leveling pet was the only one alive through the whole thing.
I'm still confused here...

The Whispering is the Air guy, which is moth, dragon, elemental. Emerald bite, emerald presence, tranquility, Emerald bite (repeat) should easily destroy the moth while leaving you with good health. The only issue is if you get put to sleep, which just makes the fight a little longer. The dragon doesn't hit very hard, so I don't think you need to worry there.

The Flowing Pandaren spirit is the Water one, with the fish, skimmer and elemental; which is where you should be using the 2 oozes. My Jade Ooze is Breed 6, if that has any effect (I don't expect it should, but it might?). And yes, most times during that fight your second ooze will die when the elemental's geyser and whirlpool combo goes off, leaving just your leveling pet.

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » November 1st, 2013, 6:29 am

Flopsyhunt wrote:I am having the hardest time now killing Wastewalker Chu's crab. I am usually about 60 HP short, which he adds a heal to.
Weird, I'll take a look tonight when I level my marionette. The crab may have been tweaked, but I've never had a problem or seen this. I haven't paid particular attention, but I'm pretty sure I haven't had to rely on crits.
I tried the third option, since I had just leveled my red cricket to 25. It took a long time and went well off the plan, but fortunately made it in the second attempt.
I'll take a look at this one too, but the several times I used this plan from Rendigar it worked out very well for me.
Though the constant misses (above the percentages noted in many battles) are really annoying.
Agreed.

Seqenenre
Pet Score:2682
Realm:Turalyon-eu

Post by Seqenenre » November 1st, 2013, 8:15 am

I tend to loosely follow Rendigar's tactic for Wastewalker Chu, but using an [pet]Amber Moth[/pet] and the [pet]Darkmoon Zepelin[/pet] since I haven't levelled up my cricket or yeti, yet.

You have to use a bit of artistic license, since the move sets are rather different, but it's worked well for me.

Dekafox
Pet Score:5020
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Dekafox » November 1st, 2013, 8:29 am

Until I got my Red Cricket, the [pet]Singing Cricket[/pet] worked decently well as a substitute. Less power, but more health and same moveset, so it just took a bit longer.

Flopsyhunt
Pet Score:2683
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Flopsyhunt » November 1st, 2013, 10:50 am

Tiggindy wrote:
Flopsyhunt wrote:I am having the hardest time now killing Wastewalker Chu's crab. I am usually about 60 HP short, which he adds a heal to.
Weird, I'll take a look tonight when I level my marionette. The crab may have been tweaked, but I've never had a problem or seen this. I haven't paid particular attention, but I'm pretty sure I haven't had to rely on crits.
I seem to get between 185 and 200 on the first hunting party hits (without crits) and 290 and 300 on the second batch. His heal can vary a bit, but he is normally left with a bit above 1200 health before my second wave, meaning I have to average more than 400 per hit to kill him.

Not much I could be doing wrong here, as it is only 2 attacks, but I would love to find I am doing something wrong that I can fix. It worked fairly well the first time or two I tried it. Something with the 5.4.1 patch may have hit the edge case just enough to let him live another round. Having the Kneebiter absorb the whirlpool ends up getting him killed too early.

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » November 1st, 2013, 10:52 am

Tiggindy wrote:The Flowing Pandaren spirit is the Water one, with the fish, skimmer and elemental; which is where you should be using the 2 oozes. My Jade Ooze is Breed 6, if that has any effect (I don't expect it should, but it might?). And yes, most times during that fight your second ooze will die when the elemental's geyser and whirlpool combo goes off, leaving just your leveling pet.
That is what happened to me the last time I ran it. I got the impression the second Ooze should live through it all though, which led to my comment, at least for my last attempt. I will probably be sure to use a leveling pet with a higher level if possible, just in case.

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » November 1st, 2013, 11:06 am

Tiggindy wrote:Obalis - Uldum
Slot 1 - Some mechanical pet.
Might want to add a comment to not use Shock and Awe. Getting a stun means he swaps out the snake, leaving my Lock-On attack (Darkmoon Tonk) to hit the moth's cocoon, completely wasting it.

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » November 1st, 2013, 6:50 pm

Flopsyhunt wrote:I seem to get between 185 and 200 on the first hunting party hits (without crits) and 290 and 300 on the second batch.
Yeah, that's not right. The second round of hunting party should be doing double damage, you should be hitting between 390 and 400 on him. If you're hitting for 300, then that's really wonky. :?

Ah, okay, you've got a P/S, not a P/P. I didn't think the drop pets got multi-breeds til later, but apparently that's when they came in. :oops:

I tried it with my anklerender (same moves) and at round 2 he had 18 hps. After a few more tries, it seems without a P/P he's left with a handful of hps unless you're lucky (3 ouf of the 4 times I managed to not get a crit he was alive). if you prefer this strat, see if you can get a P/P of one that has those attacks, or maybe swap in chrom at that point to finish the crab then blast Pounder? but even with a p/p, there's still a good chance you'll have to finish the third guy with your leveler. :roll:

I'd go with the cricket/mecha yeti combo. Sure, it takes 21 rounds (assuming no misses, longer with misses), but it's definitely a safe strategy.
Flopsyhunt wrote:That is what happened to me the last time I ran it. I got the impression the second Ooze should live through it all though, which led to my comment, at least for my last attempt. I will probably be sure to use a leveling pet with a higher level if possible, just in case.
You should be fine as long as your leveling pet can take the 6 or 7 waves that will hit you. If the leveler is an elemental, then you'll need to be high level anyway for that. ;)

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » November 1st, 2013, 6:51 pm

Flopsyhunt wrote:Might want to add a comment to not use Shock and Awe. Getting a stun means he swaps out the snake, leaving my Lock-On attack (Darkmoon Tonk) to hit the moth's cocoon, completely wasting it.
Honestly, I tend to use the dragon kite for this fight. :lol: I was more concerned with the Pandaria tamers, and assumed that since any mecha would work there, peeps would adjust that bit of strategy on their own. ;)

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » November 1st, 2013, 7:19 pm

Flopsyhunt wrote: I seem to get between 185 and 200 on the first hunting party hits (without crits) and 290 and 300 on the second batch. His heal can vary a bit, but he is normally left with a bit above 1200 health before my second wave, meaning I have to average more than 400 per hit to kill him.
Those values would indicate you aren't putting up black claw before you use hunting party.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » November 1st, 2013, 7:40 pm

Jerebear wrote:Those values would indicate you aren't putting up black claw before you use hunting party.
No, it indicates a P/S zandalari kneebiter. 305 power only gets +130 per attack, so the first round really does do 185-200.

The second round is doing 380-400ish, but the crab is left with under 100 health when round 4 starts unless you got lucky, or got a crit.

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » November 4th, 2013, 7:02 pm

The second round is doing 380-400, my error. I will look for a P/P breed then. I love the strategy when it works. :) Does it need to be a knee biter or will one of the other variants work?

I do tend to follow the strats with minimal thinking since I am more focused on getting these done when I have time, but I am starting to figure out some concepts as well. That is why I don't always extrapolate.

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » November 4th, 2013, 8:51 pm

Flopsyhunt wrote:The second round is doing 380-400, my error. I will look for a P/P breed then. I love the strategy when it works. :) Does it need to be a knee biter or will one of the other variants work?
It would need to be the kneebiter or the anklerender.

The toenibbler has black claw, but not hunting party. The footslasher has hunting party, but not black claw... Either of these might be able to pull it off with the combos that they have, but I'd say you're more likely to end up with a low HP crab rather than a dead one.
I do tend to follow the strats with minimal thinking since I am more focused on getting these done when I have time, but I am starting to figure out some concepts as well. That is why I don't always extrapolate.
I tend to focus on pets that I like more than pets that I don't, so I can miss potential combos myself... like rendigar's use of the cricket. I generally keep away from all the bugs, even though they can be good (lots of peeps use moths for example).

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » November 8th, 2013, 1:34 am

Tiggindy wrote:It would need to be the kneebiter or the anklerender.
I realized that after leveling a P/P Toenibbler. Wrong moves on him. :(

The cricket worked fine, except for a miss the first time.

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » November 12th, 2013, 1:11 pm

Northrend
Major Payne - Icecrown
I cannot do well with the strategy here, but I found that a Tranquil Mechanical Yeti and Core Hound tend to do well. Not sure where to fit in the leveling pet as I was just glad to win and get the bag last time, but probably swap it in near the end, before the last pet of his dies. Make it high enough level to survive a couple of attacks and get a hit or two off.

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » November 12th, 2013, 7:44 pm

Flopsyhunt wrote:I cannot do well with the strategy here
I did say it was luck dependent. ;)

Once I had all pets at rare I stopped doing anything that wasn't giving me big XP, and I can't tell you how happy I was to never have to fight payne again (other than for the longest day achievement). :lol:
but I found that a Tranquil Mechanical Yeti and Core Hound tend to do well.
Cool.
Not sure where to fit in the leveling pet as I was just glad to win and get the bag last time, but probably swap it in near the end, before the last pet of his dies. Make it high enough level to survive a couple of attacks and get a hit or two off.
I usually do it as a between. Meaning, when the first pet dies, swap in the leveler for a single round, then swap it out, and your other level 25 will eat a hit before killing the enemy.

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » November 13th, 2013, 2:17 am

I will try that. I have had VERY poor luck with the rabbit, though I only have a Totai Hare at 25 I believe and he has too high a speed (so less attack) and that may be the factor. I would love a DMF Rabbit, but I am not holding my breath waiting for that one.

Shagina
Top Rater
Pet Score:3992
Realm:Grim Batol-eu

Post by Shagina » November 13th, 2013, 4:18 pm

The Grasslands Cottontail (SS) paired with a Blue Clockwork Rocket Bot (SS) works like a charm for Major Payne, I can honestly not remember the last time I even needed a second try. The strat is highly resilient against RNG and you can carry pets at any level as they take no damage.

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » November 13th, 2013, 7:13 pm

Shagina wrote:The Grasslands Cottontail (SS) paired with a Blue Clockwork Rocket Bot (SS) works like a charm for Major Payne, I can honestly not remember the last time I even needed a second try. The strat is highly resilient against RNG and you can carry pets at any level as they take no damage.
Are you sure the Blue Clockwork Rocket Bot is SS? Mine is BB and that seems to be its only breed per Wowhead.

My Grasslands Cottontail is SB and seems to work somewhat OK as well, though I tried a Darkmoon Zeppelin since my rocket bot is only lvl 12 and it got slaughtered. Mechanical is not a good breed in this fight in my experience.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » November 13th, 2013, 10:14 pm

I actually like Hopling + Rabbit (faster than mech and elemental).

The hopling really does well against the bear. The bear's only damage attack has a cooldown, so if you lead off with the poison dot and only use backflip the round after he does his first damage to you, then all he can do is either stun you or hibernate (you effectively cancel the last two rounds of Ravage on him). In essence, he only gets one round of damage against you per ability cycle. With the poison ticking and tongue lash going, I usually kill him by the end of the second hibernate with around 1k health (ish) left.

On the mech, lead off with poison, kick on cooldown, and tongue lash. I usually kill the mech with him as well.

About 1/3 of the time, I have to stop using the Hopling so he'll die before the elemental does and I can swap in the carry pet and then the rabbit.

With the rabbit, I just attack until the entangling roots goes up and then dodge/burrow to avoid that.

I won't claim it is a fast strategy, but it is pretty solid.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829