Guardian Cub Dupes?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Eekmeister
Pet Score:2873
Realm:Caelestrasz-us
Guardian Cub Dupes?

Post by Eekmeister » October 23rd, 2013, 11:50 pm

Ok so a few days ago I picked up a Guardian Cub on the AH for cheapish thinking I lucked out like crazy. I even named him "Lucky" since that is how I felt when I saw him. There were two others at different price points, all Lvl 1, and I figured whoever it was selling him was just going the "mass undercut for immediate gold" route. But now, I'm checking some of my other servers and seeing Cubs on the AH for cheap and wondering if there is fishy business going on. Is there any way to tell if your pet is a dupe? I can't imagine that many people paying $10 for a pet and then selling it for 5k or less unless they didn't actually pay real money for the pet.

Valid issue or paranoia?

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Re: Guardian Cub Dupes?

Post by Gilneas » October 24th, 2013, 12:34 am

There's an unlimited supply of Guardian Cubs, and people often use them to move gold to other servers. Nothing unusual there.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » October 24th, 2013, 12:44 am

I don't think they're dupes. From what I understand, dupes must be a certain level as the process to dupe them earns them a precise amount of experience.

The Guardian Cub is the only pet from the Blizzard Store that's not soulbound after purchase. As Gilneas mentioned, it's popular for moving gold around. They may also be the result of a compromised account, where the hacker takes the credit card info attached the the account and buys the cubs for resale in-game.

In any case, I don't think you should worry all that much about the cubs.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » October 24th, 2013, 1:18 am

The AH prices on those have dropped quite a bit since they were first introduced.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » October 24th, 2013, 1:56 am

I would say the Guardian Cubs are pretty safe to buy as dupers would probably go for bigger ticket items. They're fairly inexpensive on most servers compared to other pets of similar price points because there's a lot of them on the market. When they first were introduced many people bought multiples for quick gold, but as they kept flooding into the market after that and the prices dropped. Many of the ones I see now are being bought and resold by folks playing the AH.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » October 24th, 2013, 6:29 am

Eekmeister wrote:Valid issue or paranoia?
Ish...

If the cub was purchased with a stolen credit card, the cub will be taken from you when the charge back from the CC company happens and Blizzard removes the item from the game.

If this happens, since there was a record (since it was on the AH), I expect that you should be able to get your gold back.

OTOH, if you still have the Cub in a couple weeks, you got a good deal and congrats. ;)

Adecesar
Pet Score:3394
BattleTag®:adecesar#1993
Realm:Destromath-us

Post by Adecesar » October 24th, 2013, 5:48 pm

These regularly drop to 1-2k on big servers. There's no dupe, there's just people who buy way too many and find out they've flooded the market and then drop the price desperately to try to sell them all.

Eekmeister
Pet Score:2873
Realm:Caelestrasz-us

Post by Eekmeister » October 25th, 2013, 1:20 am

I had to wonder since I've never seen one on the AH until this past week. I hope mine wasn't the product of theft, I love him because he is funny and was really cheap. Thanks for the feedback!

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » October 25th, 2013, 10:10 am

Can't see why you think it would be stolen. As others have said, the pet has been out for a while, and is the only store pet that's tradeable in-game (therefore acting as a way to legitimately "buy gold").

There's someone on my main server who almost always has one listed on the AH. I tend to buy them with gold that I saved on my main toons, then re-sell them on a high population server where I have an auction house alt parked for pet shopping. Seems a good and mutually beneficial arrangement. :)

P.S. Of course any tradeable pet works for transferring wealth between servers, but I choose the Guardian because it has a somewhat stable price compared to most TCG and in-game pets.

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » October 28th, 2013, 8:23 am

Ya I bought an extra to sell for gold on AH since I stay poor as dirt. Its alittle more expensive on bonechewer and its been 2 weeks and still have it lol. Of course they did sell well when they first came out, but since I never saw one in a long time thought I would give it a shot...oh well live and learn :))