Tiggindy's advice for pet leveling

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Arwyn3
Top Rater
Pet Score:6996
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-us
Re: Tiggindy's advice for pet leveling

Post by Arwyn3 » October 3rd, 2013, 9:00 pm

Kiryn gave me trouble last week until I used this team:

Unborn Val'kyr: curse of doom, haunt
Withers: Ironbark, poisoned branch, photosynthesis
Any strong mechanical- I used a mechanical squirrel

Tamor
Pet Score:11207
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Tamor » October 20th, 2013, 12:01 pm

Excellent guide. Thank you for taking the time to post it
Also thank you to Rendigar for the strategy to level numerous level 1's

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » October 22nd, 2013, 7:51 pm

Hmm. For some reason it doesn't look like I posted my Goldbloom team, or I'm too tired after work to see it. :P
Slot 1 - Emerald Whelpling - Emerald Bite, Moonfire, Tranquility
Slot 2 - Son of Animus - Metal Fist, Siphon Anima, Extra Plating
Slot 3 - Nexus Whelpling - Tail Sweep, Mana Surge, Wild Magic

Tranquility first round, then Moonfire, then Emerald Bite a couple times. When he feigns, swap in the son of animus. Use the plating , then fist, then siphon, and fist til you can plate and/or siphon again. Swap in the Emerald again when screamer comes back in. If you're faster (because of his health) moonfire, then bite to hopefully finish him. Vs chaos, Nexus whelpling, wild magic then tail sweep til he dies.

Also, I found out one of my earlier assumptions was wrong (or they changed it). You just need to have a pet in for a round, regardless of what happens, for them to get credit.
This means the Aki fight is also good for a level 1. The crawdad should beat the first two pets, then on pet 3, he should use survival when he gets low. Swap in your level 1 then, because the next round he'll dive. Then swap in the flier to finish it. Your level 1 will jump straight to level 11 (with the safari hat).

Flopsyhunt
Pet Score:2683
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Flopsyhunt » October 23rd, 2013, 2:18 am

Tiggindy wrote:Mo'Ruk - Krasarang wilds (lifted from the linked post. The old strat still works, this is just faster)
Slot 1 - Zeppelin - rocket, explode, decoy (ability changes)
Slot 2 - Leveler (even a level 1)
Slot 3 - Chrominus - Bite, Howl, Surge of Power

Why? The usual reasons.

Woodcarver will be first. First round, bombing run. Second round, decoy. Then rocket til dead. If you missed or it dodged, leave the fight and restart it. Swap in Chrominus, use howl then surge of power. You'll likely die to the turtle, but maybe you can get a howl off. Swap in the Zeppelin when Chrominus dies. Use rocket for damage, decoy to block so you don't die. When the turtle is less than 618 health, use explode.
How does this work? Bombing Run and Explode are opposite choices. How does the leveling pet get XP?

Alien
MVP
Pet Score:5498
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Alien » October 23rd, 2013, 3:17 am

Flopsyhunt wrote:
How does this work? Bombing Run and Explode are opposite choices. How does the leveling pet get XP?
I believe that's a small error, it should say Rocket instead of Bombing Run. The leveling pet gets xp because it is the only pet left at the end, so it is switched in automatically. I can confirm that works, even if it sounds a little silly.

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » October 23rd, 2013, 6:10 am

Flopsyhunt wrote:How does this work? Bombing Run and Explode are opposite choices. How does the leveling pet get XP?
Whoops! :oops:

I guess I missed that when I updated after the changes. I'll go fix it.

Yes, it's now Rocket, decoy, rocket, rocket, rocket for Woodcarver.

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » October 25th, 2013, 1:09 am

Tiggindy wrote:Hyuna of the Shrines - Jade Forest
Slot 1 - Ooze, absorb, corrosion, acidic goo
Slot 2 - Leveler
Slot 3 - Flying pet

Why? Magic is good vs flying, flying is good vs aquatic.

The firefly will be first. Acid goo, corrosion, absorb, absorb. Firefly is dead. First round vs snake, absorb. Second round pass (snake burrows). Round 3, acidic goo. Round 4, try to corrosion if you can (most likely you die). If you don't die, then you'll die the next round. Swap in the leveling pet, standard rules. Swap in your flier to kill the turtle. The turtle will do it's big damage attack, then (because of a change to headbutt) 4 rounds of some combo of shields and a heal, the exception is that if he healed on the first round, he'll do 3 rounds of shields, then heal himself before headbutting. Try to block or avoid the turtle's headbutt and kill it.
Another confusing part. The snake is still alive at this point. I am having a tough time at it since I only have a Disgusting Oozling at 25 now, but I am at 20 with my Jade Oozling, so it should go easier later.

A level 23 Shrine Fly worked, but was close! One more battle to 25 for him.

Shagina
Top Rater
Pet Score:3992
Realm:Grim Batol-eu

Post by Shagina » October 25th, 2013, 3:10 am

The emerald proto-drake (I run the PP breed) can solo this fight, though it takes some time. I usually let him take out the first two pets and tank the headbutt, then switch to carry pet for 1 round before I bring out my Gilnean Raven (crow works as well) to finish him. As a flyer it takes reduced damage from headbutt, darkness reduces the healing and the third skill (I forget the name, the one that requires darkness to hit) tears through him.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » October 25th, 2013, 5:34 am

Flopsyhunt wrote:Another confusing part. The snake is still alive at this point. I am having a tough time at it since I only have a Disgusting Oozling at 25 now, but I am at 20 with my Jade Oozling, so it should go easier later.

One thing to note: almost ALL 2-pet strategies that involve a carry pet against the tamers require (or strongly recommend) a pair of level 25 (almost always rare) pets to make them work consistently. For this fight, though, you can use any pet that is faster than Dor (speed 280) and has a moveset that will allow you to always avoid Headbutt. You could use a rabbit with scratch, dodge, and burrow if you like, as long as it is speed 281+ (it'll just take a while) - and I wouldn't recommend it as Fangor could really wreck you if you missed (stick with a flyer).

For a breakdown using the [pet]Emerald Proto-Drake[/pet] and any moth check [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7556#p57981]here[/url]. The only thing to be careful of is if your proto-drake dies to Fangor you have to pay attention to the speed debuff (and your racial buff dropping off when/if the opening Headbutt drops you below half health). If your moth is slower than Dor you want to use Cocoon Strike when Headbutt has 1 turn left on it's CD. That way your flier will never take any damage (other than Dor's initial Headbutt). The benefit of Cocoon Strike over Lift-Off is it slows you down and (effectively) protects you for 2 turns if you're faster - Dor does not always cast Headbutt on the turn it is available, sometimes Dor waits a turn before using it. If you are willing to risk it (or feel you are always having to kill Fangor with your flyer) you can use any flyer as Tiggindy does, but IMHO the moths are the best option (with the 341 power 4-P/P [pet]Yellow Moth[/pet] being the best).

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » October 25th, 2013, 6:26 am

Flopsyhunt wrote:Another confusing part. The snake is still alive at this point. I am having a tough time at it since I only have a Disgusting Oozling at 25 now, but I am at 20 with my Jade Oozling, so it should go easier later.

Again, whoops. :oops: I'll go fix that.

*edit* also, it occurs to me that when I originally wrote this, I wasn't paying attention to breed. The ooze I use by default is the jade oozeling, and I have a breed 6 (H/H), so that may have an effect there too, but I'd expect a higher power from other ooze types to offset that a bit by being healed more because of higher power. *edit*

Depending on how high your leveler is, you either swap in for one round to get credit, or let it do some damage to the snake. Either way, swap in the flier to finish the snake and kill the turtle.

As Rendigar said, the important thing is having a pet that can avoid the headbutt. I use a gryphon with lift-off, but whatever pet you like is fine. Sometimes my flier has used lift off vs the snake and ends up taking the first headbutt, then ends up being slower than the turtle. You can still win, you just need to time it right.

The reason I recommend the flier is that while other pets could work vs the turtle, the fact that he's got his big ol' shield up means that you're looking at a potentially SLOW kill if you aren't able to do decent damage to him.

Beana
Top Rater
Pet Score:13311
BattleTag®:Beana#1484
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Beana » October 26th, 2013, 10:24 pm

Your Nishi strategy worked like a dream (even after Nishi was buffed) thank you :)

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » October 30th, 2013, 3:07 am

Tiggindy wrote:Mo'Ruk - Krasarang wilds (lifted from the linked post. The old strat still works, this is just faster)

Why? The usual reasons.

Woodcarver will be first. First round, rocket. Second round, decoy. Then rocket til dead. If you missed or it dodged, leave the fight and restart it (to be safe, you can still win but there's a small chance of fail if you missed). Swap in Chrominus, use howl then surge of power. You'll likely die to the turtle, but maybe you can get a howl off. Swap in the Zeppelin when Chrominus dies. Use rocket for damage, decoy to block his headbutt so you don't die. When the turtle is less than 618 health, use explode.
They may have just hotfixed this. I ran it without swapping in my leveling pet and it got no XP from the battle since it was never used.

EDIT: Just tried it again and it worked. Must be user error (mine).
Last edited by Flopsyhunt on October 31st, 2013, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » October 30th, 2013, 12:35 pm

Tiggindy wrote:Whispering Pandaren Spirit (air tamer) - Jade Forest
Slot 1 - Emerald Whelpling - Emerald Bite, Emerald Presence, Tranquility
Slot 2 - Leveling pet
Slot 3 - Chrominus - Bite, howl, Surge of Power

Why? all the tamer's pets use flying attacks, and dragonkin take less vs flying.

You can use other dragonkin if you want.

The moth will be first (and is now a flying pet). First round bite, round 2 emerald presence, then tranquility. Then bite, bite, presence, tranquility, bite. First round vs the dragon, renew the shield, then tranquility, then bite 3x and repeat. Do as much as you can to the dragon. When it dies, or your whelpling dies, swap in the leveling pet, standard rules. Then swap in Chrominus. Finish the dragon with bite if necessary, vs the elemental, howl, bite and then surge of power.

I tried this today. The Emerald Whelpling gets toasted by the fish before very far into the process. I notice presence is renewed when it still has 2 rounds and tranquility is off. Did you intend that? The fish still toasted me before I could get it down tweaking the order, so I am not sure it I am just having really bad luck, this is a bit off or if they changed something with 5.4.1.

====

I tried it with a crow first (Alpha Strike/Call Darkness/Nocturnal Strike) with a lvl 22 Wildhammer Gryphon Squawk/Slicing Wind/Lift-Off) following up. I attacked with the crow until it died and then got a few attacks in with my leveler and then switched to Chromius as above.

Definitely the most challenging of the Spirit Tamer fights.

I did win a Pandaren Water Spirit (which I already had) on this one. No Wind one I needed yet though.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » October 30th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Whispering is the air elemental. There is no fish, just moth, dragonkin, and air spirit. You are thinking about the flowing elemental, which is the water spirit.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Seqenenre
Pet Score:2682
Realm:Turalyon-eu

Post by Seqenenre » October 31st, 2013, 7:49 am

Flopsyhunt wrote:

Why? The usual reasons.

Woodcarver will be first. First round, rocket. Second round, decoy. Then rocket til dead. If you missed or it dodged, leave the fight and restart it (to be safe, you can still win but there's a small chance of fail if you missed). Swap in Chrominus, use howl then surge of power. You'll likely die to the turtle, but maybe you can get a howl off. Swap in the Zeppelin when Chrominus dies. Use rocket for damage, decoy to block his headbutt so you don't die. When the turtle is less than 618 health, use explode.
They may have just hotfixed this. I ran it without swapping in my leveling pet and it got no XP from the battle since it was never used.
I tried this strategy last night and my levelling pet got the xp as the last surviving pet, despite not being used. Was Chrominius definitely dead?

Superdmason
Pet Score:6726
Realm:Norgannon-us

Post by Superdmason » October 31st, 2013, 10:36 am

I too did this just last night, level pet got the xp as expected.
Pet Charge - PvE Pet Battles and more.
http://petcharge.wordpress.com/

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » October 31st, 2013, 5:15 pm

Superdmason wrote:I too did this just last night, level pet got the xp as expected.
May have been my error then. I doubt I will use something I can't swap in though because I am concerned and have plenty of leveling to do. :)

EDIT: Just tried it again and it worked. Must be user error (mine).
Last edited by Flopsyhunt on October 31st, 2013, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » October 31st, 2013, 5:17 pm

Jerebear wrote:Whispering is the air elemental. There is no fish, just moth, dragonkin, and air spirit. You are thinking about the flowing elemental, which is the water spirit.
That could be why I had such trouble then. Still figuring parts of this out.

EDIT: No, I was talking about the right boss. The comment about the drop had nothing to do with this boss and was just confusing. That is the only one of the four I still need now (I bought 3 of them and got an extra water one drop). My ooze still gets eaten up by the first pet. I just managed to pull it out with a Jade Oozeling first and a Disgusting Ooozeling second. The second died right as his third died, so my leveling pet was the only one alive through the whole thing.
Last edited by Flopsyhunt on October 31st, 2013, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flopsyhunt

Post by Flopsyhunt » October 31st, 2013, 7:13 pm

I am having the hardest time now killing Wastewalker Chu's crab. I am usually about 60 HP short, which he adds a heal to. Keeping in for another attack hits me with the whirlpool attack and throws off the whole sequence. A stable master is nearby, but it is a real pain to have to run this 10-20 times before I get a flawless run. Any ideas on how to up my odds? I am using the Kneebiter and Chromius.

It seems the Kneebiter only succeeds when he gets a crit. That doesn't happen many times.

Then Chromius will often either miss or get stunned, requiring a bail and restart. Incredibly time consuming and therefore frustrating.

====

I tried the third option, since I had just leveled my red cricket to 25. It took a long time and went well off the plan, but fortunately made it in the second attempt.

Clearly I am a long way from having this on farm. Though the constant misses (above the percentages noted in many battles) are really annoying.