BoU?

Discuss anything else pertaining to WoW.
Draugarögnir
Pet Score:1187
Realm:Blade's Edge-eu
BoU?

Post by Draugarögnir » October 19th, 2012, 2:09 am

I saw the expression BoU in a news item on the frontpage, and I' wonder what it stands for.

BoE = bind on equip
BoP = bind on pickup

But BoU... Bind on use? But that would make it practically equivalent to BoE, and that expression was also used in the news item.

So, what does BoU mean?

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Re: BoU?

Post by Lysi » October 19th, 2012, 12:21 pm

It's my understanding it means bind-on-use. Something that isn't an equipable (wearable) item can still be bound once you use it. If you're talking about pets, I'd guess it means you can sell the item before the pet spell has been learned, but it's not a cageable pet you can re-sell after it's been in your pet journal.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » October 19th, 2012, 2:45 pm

I think one of the best examples of Bind on Use is the High-Powered Bolt Gun ([url]http://www.wowhead.com/item=60223[/url]). It's not something you can equip, but once you use it, you can no longer trade it.

It does seem like kind of a pointless description for pet items though, since the item is gone once you learn it.

Draugarögnir
Pet Score:1187
Realm:Blade's Edge-eu

Post by Draugarögnir » October 20th, 2012, 3:32 am

Thanks for the feedback.
NathKnave wrote:It does seem like kind of a pointless description for pet items though, since the item is gone once you learn it.
That was my idea. But maybe Lysi has point in that it has to do with the 're-cageability' of the pet (which would make sense to be possible for BoE but not for BoU pets).

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » October 21st, 2012, 2:35 am

For me, BoU and BoE are interchangeable. Both result in the item becoming soulbound to your character. Bind on Use makes more sense for pets imo, since you technically can't "equip" a pet item but you can "use" it to learn how to summon it. :P
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com