I've used a Call Lightning team for each of these fights, a quick note that if you don't have any level 25 Call Lightning pets and are exalted with the Order of the Cloud Serpents, go farm up a Wild Jade Hatchling
or Wild Golden Hatchling
, depending on the breed & RNG you might be able to get away with using a non-rare or non-level-25 pet to Call Lightning for you.
The reason that a Call Lightning strategy is so effective here is that it adds additional hits to each hit of damage, circumventing the boss buff.
Any mechanical move that hits more than once per use is always great during a lightning storm, and very strong against beasts with the new boss buff in any weather but sandstorm. The Clockwork Gnome
's turrets are a fantastic DOT, if you don't have him leveled up I really recommend him for pet battling in general! Batter
is also great to have for this strategy, especially if you have it on pets that are faster than the bosses.
Here's what I did with these general ideas:
- Wild Jade Hatchling
- Call Lightning
- swap in Robo-Chick
- Batter until he bites it (any speedy pet with Batter should work here)
- bring back Wild Jade Hatchling
to keep Call Lightning up
- swap in Clockwork Gnome
- Build Turret on cooldown, otherwise Metal Fist to the face
This combo is a real nail-biter for me, I've had it succeed twice so far and each time on the winning turn, I win with turret damage right before the second Wish would trigger.
- Tranquil Mechanical Yeti
- Call Lightning -- try to use a pet with less than 296 speed here, because Xu-Fu will always cast Moonfire on his first round; if your only Call Lightning option is too fast, wait to Call Lightning until round 2, then
- swap in Cogblade Raptor
- keep Exposed Wounds applied, otherwise Batter until the little guy bites it -- if you don't have a Batter option that's faster than Xu-Fu, you'll also want to buff your speed
- bring back the Yeti to keep the Lightning Storm up
- swap in Darkmoon Zeppelin
- Decoy on cooldown, Bombing Run on cooldown, otherwise Missle
I think the third slot is probably most flexible here, Xu-Fu is a very RNG-driven fight and I've only won it once. If you could time Decoy to block Feed you could prevent him from healing himself as well as to tank.
I started patch 5.4 with only 20 level 25 pets, and just beat the Tournament for the first time today, so I hope this strategy is helpful to tamers who are still banging their head on these bosses and don't have a huge army to brute-force their way through!