How I beat the two Beast Celestials - thoughts on strats.

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Strumpet101
MVP
Pet Score:4301
Realm:Earthen Ring-us
How I beat the two Beast Celestials - thoughts on strats.

Post by Strumpet101 » October 4th, 2013, 10:42 pm

Understanding how to beat the two beast Celestials at the Tournament of RNG Horror!
And I beat them!!

Strategy note:

You can easily swap the two pets, I would think. The principle is the same - extra bonus damage with each hit and big big hits to counteract the ridiculous heals - you don’t want them to get two in!!

XU-Fu - Killer, self-healing spirit beast

This kitty is mean. His claw is actually a Spirit Claw that does magic beast damage; so the Moonfire he likes to have on HAS GOT TO GO as it guarantees those hard hits. big thanks to Luciandk for the helpful public correction below.

Also, you have to kill him fast enough to counter his deligtful Feed ability. Heals him for 100% of his delightfully hard crits. So fast and hard, or interruptus!

I did not have a Tranquil Mechanical Yeti -Let me digress: The reason most people want this pet, is because he is a Mechanical who has bonus damage to beasts. AND he/she has Call Lightning. Call Lightning is awesome because (and I quote) “Deals 366 Mechanical damage and causes a Lightning Storm for 5 rounds.During a Lightning Storm, all pets deal 29bonus Mechanical damage on each attack and Mechanical abilities deal 25% additional damage.”

Bonus Mech damage on all attacks (that means each hit, not just per round!) and Mech abilitiesdeal more.Most people then use their Yeti to take advantage of that second 25%.
But you don’t need to.A fly with SWARM!! AWESOME.
Because swarm increases damage each turn AND deals extra per hit of the swarm!!
So, my pets were:

Dragon Kite “Kiki” S/S (the important this is something with Lightning Storm)
Start with Volcano. You are faster than the kitty and need to let him try out his Moonlight first
Lightning Storm NOTE: I fyou have a pet SLOWER THAN kitty, START WITH STORM
Shrine Fly “Flippy” P/S

Swarm - swarm swarm - if you don’t have enough health for two times, do a Scratch or a cocoon strike
I had my Mei Li Sparkler “Mei Mei” H/S on standby. She did a cocoon strike and a Scratch
DEAD KITTY

Finally I went for Zao - I wanted to be sure I had enough mechanicals to finish him off.

He’s also a big nasty beast who hits super hard and has a Crazy Wish ability that was driving me nuts two weeks ago.

He has a Wish - it will heal, you can’t interrupt it unless you inerrupt the turn he casts it. Once cast, it’s a go.
He charges up for one giant hit. It hurts.

My pets were:

Unborn Va’kyr “Gro Hege” H/H - I know - a hard to find, untradable AND needs to be rare. I used a battlestone on the poor I found in the wild. The beauty of the Val’Kyr is she has both curse of doom and Unholy Ascension. The Ghostly Skull (purchasable in dalaran, then upgrade) has Unholy Ascension. I’m guessing it could be enough if you are strong enough on your other attacks. Also, the Lost of Lordaron has Curse of Doom, again, could be enough. The point of Curse of Doom is the BIG HIT when you will have some other big hits, to kill the beast fast enough. The Unholy Ascension adds a whopping 25% to help you get there.
Curse of Doom
Shadow Shock, repeat until you are sure you will die, remember, Undead have that cheat turn, then
Unholy Ascension.
A mechanical that packs a mean punch. Don’t waste time with improved crit, just hit. and hit fast. I was planning on my Zeppelin or Tonk. Ha ha ha ha. I had forgotten to heal both after Tommy. PANIC!! Had I screwed my self at the very last stage????
I used Cogblado Raptor “Dino” B/B

Batter
Screech
Batter
Batter (forget how many times) and I might have used exposed wounds, I’m not sure

DEAD YAK!!!!!

Originally posted on my Tumblr.
Last edited by Strumpet101 on October 5th, 2013, 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: How I beat the two Beast Celestials - thoughts on strats

Post by Luciandk » October 5th, 2013, 2:16 am

You are mistaken, Spirit Claws, contrary to the name is beast damage and thusly not buffed by Moonlight. All moonlight does is to make it always hit.

http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/b ... rit-claws/

Strumpet101
MVP

Post by Strumpet101 » October 5th, 2013, 5:10 am

Luciandk wrote:You are mistaken, Spirit Claws, contrary to the name is beast damage and thusly not buffed by Moonlight. All moonlight does is to make it always hit.

http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/b ... rit-claws/

Thank you ! I actually came on here now to correct it myself after leveling my kitty and seeing my mistake in his abilities.

Although 'only' guaranteeing a hard hit is bad enough LOL.

Arwyn3
Top Rater
Pet Score:6996
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-us

Post by Arwyn3 » October 5th, 2013, 10:24 am

I've successfully beaten both with several different teams, with the crazy RNG on Xu'en I frequently go through 2-4 teams tho. I had most success w these teams:

Xu'en:
skywing moth (call lightning) clockwork gnome (turret) and Zandalari Kneebiter (black claw /hunting party)
Gilnean raven (call darkness/nevermore to eat spirit claws) any 2 strong mechs
Mechanical Dragonling or darkmoon Zepp (decoy) w any 2 strong mechs, Zepp is better bc of explode

Zao:
Wild jade/golden hatchling (call lightning) Zandalari Kneebiter (black claw, hunting party) any strong mech (I usually use menagerie custodian)
Unborn Valk (CoD,haunt/unholy ascension) Pandaren Water Spirit (geyser, whirlpool) Chrominus (howl, surge of power)

Every now and then Xuen will get thru too many of my pets and I end up using a call lightning + chicken team which works...sometimes.

Undeadgoat
Pet Score:2089
BattleTag®:undeadgoat#1254
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Post by Undeadgoat » October 5th, 2013, 1:29 pm

I've used a Call Lightning team for each of these fights, a quick note that if you don't have any level 25 Call Lightning pets and are exalted with the Order of the Cloud Serpents, go farm up a [pet]Wild Jade Hatchling[/pet] or [pet]Wild Golden Hatchling[/pet], depending on the breed & RNG you might be able to get away with using a non-rare or non-level-25 pet to Call Lightning for you.

The reason that a Call Lightning strategy is so effective here is that it adds additional hits to each hit of damage, circumventing the boss buff.

Any mechanical move that hits more than once per use is always great during a lightning storm, and very strong against beasts with the new boss buff in any weather but sandstorm. The [pet]Clockwork Gnome[/pet]'s turrets are a fantastic DOT, if you don't have him leveled up I really recommend him for pet battling in general! [ability]Batter[/ability] is also great to have for this strategy, especially if you have it on pets that are faster than the bosses.

Here's what I did with these general ideas:

Zao:

- [pet]Wild Jade Hatchling[/pet] - Call Lightning
- swap in [pet]Robo-Chick[/pet] - Batter until he bites it (any speedy pet with Batter should work here)
- bring back [pet]Wild Jade Hatchling[/pet] to keep Call Lightning up
- swap in [pet]Clockwork Gnome[/pet] - Build Turret on cooldown, otherwise Metal Fist to the face

This combo is a real nail-biter for me, I've had it succeed twice so far and each time on the winning turn, I win with turret damage right before the second Wish would trigger.

Xu-Fu:

- [pet]Tranquil Mechanical Yeti[/pet] - Call Lightning -- try to use a pet with less than 296 speed here, because Xu-Fu will always cast Moonfire on his first round; if your only Call Lightning option is too fast, wait to Call Lightning until round 2, then
- swap in [pet]Cogblade Raptor[/pet] - keep Exposed Wounds applied, otherwise Batter until the little guy bites it -- if you don't have a Batter option that's faster than Xu-Fu, you'll also want to buff your speed
- bring back the Yeti to keep the Lightning Storm up
- swap in [pet]Darkmoon Zeppelin[/pet] - Decoy on cooldown, Bombing Run on cooldown, otherwise Missle

I think the third slot is probably most flexible here, Xu-Fu is a very RNG-driven fight and I've only won it once. If you could time Decoy to block Feed you could prevent him from healing himself as well as to tank.

I started patch 5.4 with only 20 level 25 pets, and just beat the Tournament for the first time today, so I hope this strategy is helpful to tamers who are still banging their head on these bosses and don't have a huge army to brute-force their way through! ;)

Saite
Pet Score:13760
Realm:Bladefist-eu

Post by Saite » October 5th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Xu Fu

I have been using an unusual strategy on Xu Fu, ever since week one when I screwed up and was forced to use the pets I had left! Because it worked so well I now throw this team in as my first choice on Xu Fu - and it has worked 95% of the time I would say (some weeks I have struggled on the other Celestials but Xu Fu almost always went down).

The team is 3 x Fox. I use:

Arctic Fox Kit
Fox Kit
Alpine Foxling Kit

I have each of these set up with the same abilities: Flurry, Howl and Dazzling Dance.

Dazzling Dance is used first to make you faster, then the idea is to keep Howl up for double damage - if you are lucky Flurry will hit 3 times! Just keep using Howl and then Flurry with all three pets.

Howl does double damage for 2 rounds, so if your first fox dies after just one Flurry the 2nd Fox comes in and can pick up where he left off, hitting with Flurry immediately, still for double damage, then the 2nd Fox uses his Howl and so on.

A bonus of this strategy is that it leaves all of your Mechanical pets for Zao!

Strumpet101
MVP

Post by Strumpet101 » October 5th, 2013, 7:26 pm

[quote="Saite"]Xu Fu

I have been using an unusual strategy on Xu Fu, ever since week one when I screwed up and was forced to use the pets I had left! Because it worked so well I now throw this team in as my first choice on Xu Fu - and it has worked 95% of the time I would say (some weeks I have struggled on the other Celestials but Xu Fu almost always went down).

The team is 3 x Fox. I use:

Arctic Fox Kit
Fox Kit
Alpine Foxling Kit

I have each of these set up with the same abilities: Flurry, Howl and Dazzling Dance.

What a great alternative!!

Swaps
Pet Score:7702
BattleTag®:Swaps#1963
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Swaps » October 5th, 2013, 11:26 pm

Here are my strats. Finishes them both using only 2 pets each.

Xu-Fu:
[pet]Dragon Kite[/pet]
Volcano
Lightning storm
Switch to Zep
[pet]Darkmoon Zeppelin[/pet]
Decoy
Bombing Run
Missile

Zao:
[pet]Tranquil Mechanical Yeti[/pet]
Lightning storm
Switch to Lil Bling
[pet]Lil Bling[/pet]
Make it Rain
Inflation until dead
[pet]Tranquil Mechanical yeti[/pet]
Metal fist
Ion cannon

Likebigbuttz
Pet Score:5322
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Likebigbuttz » October 6th, 2013, 5:45 pm

I use basically the same team for both. A clockwork gnome and 2 of any of the Zandalari Dinos with Black Claw and Hunting Party. They are cheap now and so, so good. Get some of each, some fast and some strong and you will love them.

The gnome rarely takes much damage and should survive both fights without any probs as it's only in for 1 round.

Clockwork Gnome to put up a Turret.
Swap to Dino to apply Black Claw then Hunting Party.
1st dino might get killed, if so, use the next one and continue Hunting Party.

Watch the numbers soar.

Slick
Pet Score:1771
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Slick » October 7th, 2013, 11:07 am

Likebigbuttz wrote:I use basically the same team for both. A clockwork gnome and 2 of any of the Zandalari Dinos with Black Claw and Hunting Party. They are cheap now and so, so good. Get some of each, some fast and some strong and you will love them.

The gnome rarely takes much damage and should survive both fights without any probs as it's only in for 1 round.

Clockwork Gnome to put up a Turret.
Swap to Dino to apply Black Claw then Hunting Party.
1st dino might get killed, if so, use the next one and continue Hunting Party.

Watch the numbers soar.
I use a similar strat but only for Xu-Fu

Clockwork Gnome>Build Turret, Switch for Raptor>Black Claw, Hunting Party(as long as you're faster you'll get the first round of hunting party off), Bring in howl pet or pet that can put up the 100% dmg debuff)

Zao:
Water wavling>Geyser, Wavling will die the round after his charge goes off, bring in Howl pet, Howl, attack, attack, attack.

Paggy
Pet Score:2974
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-us

Post by Paggy » October 7th, 2013, 1:58 pm

I manage to successfully two pet both these. Best part, it keeps other pets free for other encounters.

Xu-Fu
Panderan Water Spirit: Geyser, Whirlpool. Your pet dies third time
Lil'Bad Wolf (Or any with howl): Howl, stuns xu-fu. Finish it off with other attack

Calfling:

Fast Raptor with Black claw: Black claw, hunting party. Your pet dies after two turns
Another raptor: Hunting party. Calf dies at the end of second turn.

Hope this helps.