How is the 5.4 metagame?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Slog
MVP
Pet Score:3322
BattleTag®:Bray#1583
Realm:Kilrogg-us
How is the 5.4 metagame?

Post by Slog » September 20th, 2013, 10:54 am

I took a break from PvP, and haven't picked it back up since the latest patch. Since we're a couple weeks in now, how are you finding the metagame? Is it interesting with varied teams? Are direhorns still defining the entire universe of viable groups?

How did the proposed nerfs and changes work out?

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: How is the 5.4 metagame?

Post by Luciandk » September 20th, 2013, 11:02 am

Think things is still settling yet and not every pet is widely available yet. Most notably [pet]Kovok[/pet]. Havent seen much to direhorns of late, and people seems to be catching onto that [pet]Unborn Val'kyr[/pet]s are crazy good now.

But people have taken to whine about [pet]Xu-Fu[/pet] already, at least you can only have one of them. But theres plenty of mechanicals due to the direhorn hate, which should keep Xu-Fu in check. But if he becomes prevalent, we might see more evasion pets. [ability]Dodge[/ability] is the perfect counter to Xu-Fu, since it lasts 2 turns, then Xu-Fu's player have nothing to use prowl on, wasting it even if he waits a second turn.

Edit: On second thought, the new [pet]Skywisp Moth[/pet] is a tripple counter to Xu-Fu! Flyer with mechanical damage packing an evasion move!

Slog
MVP
Pet Score:3322
BattleTag®:Bray#1583
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Slog » September 20th, 2013, 12:15 pm

Luciandk wrote:Edit: On second thought, the new [pet]Skywisp Moth[/pet] is a tripple counter to Xu-Fu! Flyer with mechanical damage packing an evasion move!
Oh, cool. I had completely missed that there's now a 2nd flyer with mechanical damage. So far the only new pet that I've earned is Xu-Fu. I need to get back out on the island and do some hunting.

Thanks for you comments in general too.

Hazal
Top Rater
Pet Score:1964
Realm:Stormreaver-eu

Post by Hazal » September 21st, 2013, 8:50 pm

Luciandk wrote:Edit: On second thought, the new [pet]Skywisp Moth[/pet] is a tripple counter to Xu-Fu! Flyer with mechanical damage packing an evasion move!
That's a really great observation. I'll need to get my hands on one of those.