Wrathion/Taran Zhu/Chen Stormstout

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Whiplash
Pet Score:4909
Realm:Madoran-us
Wrathion/Taran Zhu/Chen Stormstout

Post by Whiplash » September 18th, 2013, 7:31 am

These three did not prove as difficult as I expected...

Taran Zhu - I expected the worst, but this team (only my second setup) won in their first attempt:
Crawling Claw / Frosty / Ghostly Skull
Frankly, I expected them to lose and to quit out and rez my Fossilized Hatchling for BONESTORM, but it wasn't necessary. As a result, I don't really remember the details of the fight. I do remember that Bolo's Blinding Power was a pain, though.

Chen Stormstout
Mechanical Chicken on Tonsa - Wind-up obliterated him, Batter to finish up.
Chuck on Brewly - Rip (until you hit) + Blood in the Water (always hits)
Chirps - Darkmoon Monkey

Wrathion
Leopard Tree Frog on Cindy - Tongue Lash/Cleansing Rain/Swarm of Flies
Feral Vermling on Alex - Dreadful Breath (extra dmg with Cleansing Rain) hits both dragonkin hard
Peddlefeet batted last to clean up the badly wounded dragonkin

Anasa
Top Rater
Pet Score:2322
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Re: Wrathion/Taran Zhu/Chen Stormstout

Post by Anasa » September 18th, 2013, 12:29 pm

I beat Taran Zhu with Lil' Ragnaros, Scourged Whelpling (not ideal, thanks to dragon), and Unborn Val'kyr. Rags on his own took out two of the monks, with a little help from the Whelp's "absorb." Val'kyr only had to mop up, and she had enough health left to sub in on a celestial later.

I beat Wrathion with Netherspace Abyssal (vs. Cindy), and Flayer Youngling. The Kun'lai runt never even had to come in.

I did... Not beat Chen. Still working out a strategy for him.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » September 18th, 2013, 2:08 pm

I'm trying to find reliable teams, so I quit out of the tourney a few times to retry certain fights. The Celestials are scripted with a fairly fixed pattern of moves, and some of the tamer pets too, but some seem not to be. So far, Taran Zhu varies the most for me, and it can be really hard or incredibly easy depending what moves he chooses. Blinding Poison in particular is rough when Bolo spams it on cooldown (only 3 turn cd); but some fights he's also neglected it entirely.

At first I was overly concerned about the first monk's critter attack, so I stayed away from UD. That was a mistake. At first I tried 3x Nether Ray of various sorts/breeds. It turns out that Bolo is actually faster than a P/P Nether Ray Fry, even with the Flying passive. So this team could either win big or lose big -- if the monks were diligent with their CC, then the nether rays would get whittled down out of their flying speed boost and then got mopped up quickly. But they could also win handily if the monks stuck to regular attacks.

Eventually I settled on Valk/Crawling Claw/Fledgling Nether Ray (273 speed, faster than Bolo with passive). This could play out multiple ways and still win. The main thing is that the first two monks can stall you with their CC moves, but when they do it doesn't waste your cooldowns; Bolo on the other hand can really screw up cooldowns with Blinding Poison. So between the first monk feigning death around 50%, and my Death Grip, I aimed to backrow them with Haunt/Doom. Since Haunt doesn't kill the Valk if the target dies early, it's very easy to use and the Valk always comes back. So it was pretty reliable to get to Bolo with a full Nether Ray and a mostly-healthy Valk, which won easily the 2 times I tried it.

Vek
Top Rater
Pet Score:3996
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Vek » September 18th, 2013, 3:36 pm

Mr Grubbs, and other maggots, is awesome against Taran. Only needed two of my three maggot team.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » September 18th, 2013, 5:02 pm

I found Mr Grubbs worked surprisingly well for only having one strong attack with a 1 round CD but the 25% debuff and the racial bonus made for pretty substantial hits and self healing.

Skarn
Top Rater
Pet Score:5024
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Skarn » September 18th, 2013, 8:08 pm

Here's the teams I used. I just posted them over in the main Tournament thread too:

Wrathion

[pet]Grasslands Cottontail[/pet] [S/S] (1/2/1)
[pet]Flayer Youngling[/pet] [S/S] (1/2/1)
Carry Pet

Yes, only two pets! The rabbit can handle Cindy easily and the Flayer destroys the other two. Burrow to avoid the Ice Tomb, Dodge right after to minimize other damage. Blistering Cold will stack up high, but the rabbit doesn't care. Use Deflection after Flamethrower to block the Breath. Alex will heal on CD and follow with a Flamethrower. If you Kick a Breath, she'll only use one. Blitz otherwise. For Dah'da, Blitz on CD, block Elementium Bolt with Deflection.

Actually, I used a Carry pet! I got 1980 xp for a level 15 pet, wearing the Safari Hat. No pet XP buff food used.

Chen Stormstout

[pet]Darkmoon Zeppelin[/pet] (1/2/2)
[pet]Anubisath Idol[/pet] (1/2/1)
[pet]Snarly[/pet] (1/1/2)

This one varies a lot if Tonsa stuns the Zepp, but it still works. Decoy as soon as you can, spam Missle and make sure to use Explode early! Tonsa is fast! Use Snarly to finish off Tonsa if needed and let him take the Sleep hit, then swap the Idol in. Chirps always does Sleep > Swarm > Flank > Swarm > Sleep. Get Stoneskin up, Deflection the Sleep and it'll die. I usually get a lot of hits on Brewly with the Idol too. He'll always fill the Barrel, then Brewbolt, then toss the Barrel, so Deflection it! Snarly can easily finish. I like to Surge the turn he refreshes Enebriate for the 100% hit.

Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling can be used instead of the Zepp, since it's faster than Tonsa. It lacks Explode AND Decoy. Also, I use it against Xu-Fu.

Taran Zhu

[pet]Nexus Whelpling[/pet] (1/2/2)
[pet]Fossilized Hatchling[/pet] (2/1/2)
[pet]Nether Ray Fry[/pet] (*/*/1)

Taran's monks are really RNG, but this is a very strong counter group. Start with Arcane Storm and then Mana Surge. The Storm will protect from the stuns. The first monk always takes one hit from Mana Surge, somtimes two. He doesn't seem consistent in his use of Feign Death. It doesn't matter though. When Mana Surge ends, I prefer to refresh the Arcane Storm, but you can just Tail Sweep if you want. The Nexus Whelp usually won't last more than one turn after Surge ends. With the Fossilized Hatchling, start with Bonestorm. Try to use the Heal when Blinded, but that's not always reliable. I find the heal more useful than Death and Decay. D&D damage is minor and everything else you use hits hard. Use Bone Bite until the Hatchling dies. Bonestorm on the free turn. The first monk should be dead by now, if not earlier. Finish off the remaining two monks with Shadow Shock from the Nether Ray Fry.

Keavy
Top Rater
Pet Score:3862
Realm:Ahn'Qiraj-eu

Post by Keavy » September 19th, 2013, 3:49 am

Wrathion
Peanut - With Trample, Trumpet Strike and Stampede ( Use Trumpet Strike >Stampede )
If you don't have Peanut at 25 a cricket works just fine too, just don't forget swarm.
Anubisath Idol - With Crush, Stoneskin and Deflection ( Use Stoneskin > Crush, Deflection when Elementium Bolt has 1 round left )
Flayer Youngling - With Blitz, Deflection and Kick ( Shouldn't have to do much before the fight is over )

Taran Zhu
Lost of Lordaeron - With Curse of Doom
Stitched Pup - With Howl
Third pet I used a Ruby Droplet, but it can be swapped for something else easily. A Maggot of some sort is good.
The strategy is to save your Lost of Lordaeron and Stitched Pup for the monk with Bandage. He needs to be oneshotted or else he'll just heal himself up to full hp. After the Bandage monk is dead Curse of Doom is nice for the monk with Fiegn Death.

Chen Stormstout
Cogblade Raptor S/S breed - With Batter, Screech and Exposed Wounds ( Use Eposed Wounds > Screech > Batter )
Sunreaver Micro-Sentry - With Laser, Haywire and Supercharge ( Use Supercharge > Haywire, Laser till dead, don't use supercharge when it comes of cd on the elemental. Just Laser. )
Pandaren Water Spirit - With Water Jet, Whirlpool and Geyser ( Use Geyser > Whirlpool > Water Jet )

Papazol
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Balnazzar-us

Post by Papazol » September 19th, 2013, 1:30 pm

I can say what suggestions I did before http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6037 work realy good. For now I changed it a little to make fights even easier.

1. Taran Zhu fight is same:
- [pet]Stone armadillo[/pet] - poisoned claw*2 - scale shield - poisoned claw...
- [pet]Nether ray fry[/pet] 4 (power) breed - shadow shock...
- [pet]Nether ray fry[/pet] 5 (speed) breed - shadow shock...
It may be done with 2 pets.
GG

2. Wrathion fight is a little changed:
- [pet]Perky pug[/pet] - comeback+burrow for ice tomb
- [pet]Scourged whelpling[/pet] - call darkness - tail sweep...
- [pet]Qiraji guardling[/pet] - backout kick - crush...
Actualy also may be done with first 2 pets.
GG

3. Chen Stormstout fight I chenged greatly:
- [pet]Crow[/pet] - call darkness - nocturnal strike - alpha strike...
- [pet]Anubisath Idol[/pet] - sandstorm - crush + deflection for sleep of locust swarm
- [pet]Tiny white carp[/pet] - water jet + dive for barrel toss . Brewly reliases barrel toss in 2 rounds after first use, so you have time to deflect it on Anub or dive on White carp.
GG

Beana
Top Rater
Pet Score:13317
BattleTag®:Beana#1484
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Beana » September 20th, 2013, 9:47 am

Great ideas!!

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » September 20th, 2013, 11:04 am

Taran Zhu - Moths!

I beat my head against the wall of his monks for a while, trying undead after undead group. Finally, almost out of undead, I decided to ignore matchups entirely and went from a position of strength - I had a ton of moths at level 25, and no aquatics in this round.

A team of Amber Moth (breed 8), Gilded Moth (breed 3) and a third moth - possibly Garden - took them out with absolute ease. Alpha Strike, Cocoon, Moth Dust. Moth Dust to open and whenever off cooldown, Alpha Strike rest of the time, Cocoon if you think something big is coming. The Amber Moth was faster and had almost all three of them dead before losing the flying passive. They kept swapping because the moth dust kept putting them to sleep, so it took a while before any of them actually died. Once Amber went down, Gilded took out the rest, and I didn't even have to use the third moth. Initially, I wasn't sure if it was going to work, so I deliberately kept out the Yellow Moth. Now I'm wondering if Yellow could have soloed those monks.

Stormrow
Pet Score:9203
Realm:Moonglade-eu

Post by Stormrow » September 20th, 2013, 11:53 am

Chen i could do with no bother on numerous attempts, he and the jinyu guy are the only 2 Ive not had to pray to rng

Win some, lose millions I suppose ;p

Newways
Pet Score:2795
Realm:Misha-us

Post by Newways » September 20th, 2013, 1:06 pm

Yalina wrote:Taran Zhu - Moths!

I beat my head against the wall of his monks for a while, trying undead after undead group. Finally, almost out of undead, I decided to ignore matchups entirely and went from a position of strength - I had a ton of moths at level 25, and no aquatics in this round.

A team of Amber Moth (breed 8), Gilded Moth (breed 3) and a third moth - possibly Garden - took them out with absolute ease. Alpha Strike, Cocoon, Moth Dust. Moth Dust to open and whenever off cooldown, Alpha Strike rest of the time, Cocoon if you think something big is coming. The Amber Moth was faster and had almost all three of them dead before losing the flying passive. They kept swapping because the moth dust kept putting them to sleep, so it took a while before any of them actually died. Once Amber went down, Gilded took out the rest, and I didn't even have to use the third moth. Initially, I wasn't sure if it was going to work, so I deliberately kept out the Yellow Moth. Now I'm wondering if Yellow could have soloed those monks.

I 2nd this strategy, took them down with ease, PP Yellow Moth, SS Fungal moth, PS Flamering Moth. Alpha Strike, Cocoon Strike, Moth Dust.
First try, not one of the Moth Dust attacks proc'd sleep.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » September 21st, 2013, 1:28 pm

Unfortunately even the 3 moths are subject (heavily) to RNG in that fight. 3 misses with Moth Dust were enough to ensure losing to Taran Zhu's monks. Their random use of their stunning attacks (they don't always use them when they are available) makes it the luck of the draw to choose cocoon strike at any given time. Still, it's a team that can win, if you don't have other options.
Last edited by Rendigar on September 24th, 2013, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Se5s
Pet Score:3144
BattleTag®:sess#1102

Post by Se5s » September 21st, 2013, 4:46 pm

i don't use any hard to get pets on these three.

taran zhu:
lost of lordaeron */1/2
core hound pup */1/2
ghostly skull */1/*

i like this one now that i found the exact strategy: start with LoL, put up curse of doom, switch out to core hound and use howl, then burrow. CoD goes off for an auto kill. next monk in gets hit by burrow allowing u to switch back to LoL because it will bandage the burrow damage. again, put up CoD, this time tho put up siphon life as well, then switch to core hound for howl, he'll just survive and again auto kill next round. core hound dies, bring LoL in again, you gotta wait a round for the CoD to CD so use siphon life again. very important, don't hit bolo too hard or when LoL dies and you bring in ghostly skull he'll instantly blind it. the skull uses ghostly bite, and then a round or two later CoD goes off...lol

chen stormstout:
pet bombling 2/1/*
flayer youngling 2/2/2
chuck 1/1/2

put up mine field, then spam batter until it dies. soak the sleep and locusts with the bombling. flayer youngling starts with rampage, usually kills the cricket on the second round. you get hit with the hit% reduction first round but w/e, just keep using triple snap until you're at about 700ish hp and you kno he has a barrel filled, then use deflection when you think he will throw the barrel (i have to admit his second use of the barrel is pretty iffy, sometimes he won't use it at all, dunno why.) bring in chuck, at worst the alemental is at least at half hp and chuck mops him up pretty easily.

wrathion:
bandicoon 2/1/2
flayer youngling (must be S/S) 1/2/1
clock'em (filler, anything with humanoid attacks will work) use humanoid dmg abilities (don't be bad and use a magic pet...yes i was bad on my first shot....dumb broom.)

most important thing from the beginning is making sure to use powerball TWICE, then bandicoon will take out cindy without trying, will even deal a decent amount damage to his next pet which uses flamethrower (elemental dmg vs critter.) i never need clock'em, flayer handles the rest if you time deflection and kick right.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » September 21st, 2013, 5:35 pm

Rendigar wrote:Unfortunately even the 3 moths are subject (heavily) to RNG in that fight. 3 misses with Moth Dust were enough to ensure losing to Taran Zhu's monks. Their random use of their stunning attacks (they don't alwasy use them when they are available) makes it the luck of the draw to choose cocoon strike at any given time. Still, it's a team that can win, if you don't have other options.
And its fairly easy to have multiple teams-worth of moths available even if you fail once (or even twice!), since most moths have identical abilities.

Karawaka
Pet Score:5124
BattleTag®:Karawaka#1650
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Karawaka » September 21st, 2013, 7:02 pm

Taran Zhu: Molten Hatchling, Ash spiderling, and Ruby droplet (The droplet only needed to get in one hit to finish his last monk off)

Chen Stormstout: Clockwork gnome, Kun lai runt, Tundra Penguin (Penguin only used 1 surge to finish off is Alemental)

Wrathion: Tolai Hare, Peddlefeet, Bonkers (Peddlefeet used the stun to force in Dha'da and took it out easliy and whittled down Alex for Bonkers to finish it off quickly)

The_trainmaster
Pet Score:1468
Realm:Turalyon-eu

Post by The_trainmaster » September 22nd, 2013, 10:58 am

My teams for these sets of Champions;

Chen Stormstout
#1 Lil' XT (Zap, Repair, XE-321 Bombbot)
#2 Twilight Spider (Poison Spit, Brittle Webbing, Spiderling Swarm)
#3 Swamp Croaker (Water Jet, Swarm of Flies, Frog Kiss/Bubble)

My XT has never been stunned by the Beast and thus have no problem to push out a Bombbot and then spam Zap. The Twilight Spider apply Brittle Webbing to the Critter followed by Spiderling Swarm and finish with Poison Spit. He usually survives enough to apply both Brittle Webbing and Poison Spit to the Alemental and the Swamp Croaker finish him off with ease.

Taran Zhu
#1 Crawling Claw (Agony, Death Grip, Curse of Doom)
#2 Restless Shadeling (Shadow Shock, Death and Decay, Phase Shift)
#3 Fledging Nether Ray (Arcane Blast, Slicing Winds, Shadow Shock)

Crawling Claw starts with Curse and Agony followed by Death Grip, pulling the next Monk into battle and getting Agony as well. If Crawling Claw is above 1 HP, swap him out for Restless Shadeling. Cast Death and Decay and then spam Shadow Shock until he dies. Return Crawling Claw for a quick Curse and Agony then use Fledging Nether Ray and hisShadow Shock to finish the remaining Monk.

Wrathion
This team has not been as stable as the others, but is made up of Fledging Nether Ray (indeed the same from Taran Zhu, normally he takes little to no damage there), Temple Snake and Lil' Deathwing. Since last week I've leveled several humanoids to tackle Wrathion more "cleanly", but this combination has "worked" so far.

Veyska
Top Rater
Pet Score:13664
Realm:Rexxar-us

Post by Veyska » September 22nd, 2013, 4:46 pm

Copy-pasta-ing my post from this thread over here...
Veyska wrote:Throwing my two cents in for the Taran Zhu fight (most of my other set-ups are effectively identical to other stuff listed here or one of the other discussion topics or actually identical)... The second two monks are more straightforward (IMO, at least) so mostly addressing Yen, the first one.

He's humanoid - we want undead damage.
He has a stun - critters can't be stunned.
He has FD - effects that prevent fleeing/swapping would be awesome.

There is in fact one pet that meets all three criteria - the [pet]Imperial Silkworm[/pet] (2/1/*). Yeah, that "junk" item that tailors keep vendoring... You'll want [ability]Consume[/ability] for the first move and [ability]Sticky Goo[/ability] for the second. I went with [ability]Moth Dust[/ability] for my third move for the chance at sleep but I expect [ability]Burrow[/ability] would work just as well (and reduce the chance for an inadvertent swap if you lead with dust and get sleep and Taran Zhu switches pets). [Edit - I led with moth dust and then sticky goo, but unless you get a crazy crit on your first hits you've got probably 2-3 rounds to hit goo. Better safe than sorry, I'd hit it second either way.]

The only marginally tricky part (barring horrible RNG) is the timing of FD. Being snared effectively turns it into a deflection clone, where Yen takes no damage. This can potentially waste a moth dust/burrow hit, but it's no huge loss and if you can accurately guess when he's going to FD you can just twiddle your thumbs or hit sticky goo again just to feel like you're actually doing something. Bit slower than some of the other options (H/H with lower damage attacks), but it's pretty darned effective and negates that annoying stun/FD. The silkworm will get stomped by the next monk but that's okay, you might get a hit in and it'll allow you to swap without wasting a turn. :-P

(I went with Lil' K.T. and Feverbite Hatchling respectively for monks 2 and 3, but any UD and spider/grub would do fine I expect...)

Whiplash
Pet Score:4909

Post by Whiplash » September 23rd, 2013, 7:55 am

Rivana wrote:These three did not prove as difficult as I expected...

Taran Zhu - I expected the worst, but this team (only my second setup) won in their first attempt:
Crawling Claw / Frosty / Ghostly Skull
Frankly, I expected them to lose and to quit out and rez my Fossilized Hatchling for BONESTORM, but it wasn't necessary. As a result, I don't really remember the details of the fight. I do remember that Bolo's Blinding Power was a pain, though.

Chen Stormstout
Chirps - Darkmoon Monkey

Wrathion
Leopard Tree Frog on Cindy - Tongue Lash/Cleansing Rain/Swarm of Flies
Feral Vermling on Alex - Dreadful Breath (extra dmg with Cleansing Rain) hits both dragonkin hard
Peddlefeet batted last to clean up the badly wounded dragonkin
Finished the tournament over the weekend. Here are my updates:

Taran Zhu
For the fun of it, I tried the Moths on Taran Zhu, and won 2 out of 3 (I did him first so I could exit, heal up, and re-enter).
Imperial Moth [Wild WInds/Cocoon/Moth Dust]
Garden Moth [Alpha Strike/Cocoon/Moth Dust]
Ashwing Moth [Alpha Strike/Cocoon/Moth Dust]
I used Cocoon Strike on cooldown to mitigate damage.
I only used Moth Dust when I had lost my speed buff (less than 50% health) because it missed frequently.

Chen Stormstout - same team, never lost (4 wins)
Chirps - Darkmoon Monkey [Banana Barrage keeps pounding him; and you get to use the annoying stun while the bananas rain down; Smash otherwise]

Wrathion - same team, never lost (4 wins)
Leopard Tree Frog on Cindy - Tongue Lash/Cleansing Rain/Swarm of Flies (start with Swarm and keep it up; Cleansing Rain for dmg buff and a bit of healing, Tongue Lash)
Feral Vermling on Alex - Dreadful Breath (extra dmg with Cleansing Rain) hits both dragonkin hard (Dreadful Breath until he dies)
Peddlefeet batted last to clean up the badly wounded dragonkin (he owned them with Bow Shot/Perfumed Arrow/Shot Through the Heart)