Dragonkin pet to level

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us
Dragonkin pet to level

Post by Doobjanka » October 7th, 2012, 9:32 am

I need to pick one of my Dragonkin pets to level to 25, but they all seem underwhelming. Which one would you recommend?
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Re: Dragonkin pet to level

Post by Tiggindy » October 7th, 2012, 9:42 am

Emerald Whelpling.

Not only is it my favorite, I've found it to be the most survivable. The base set of abilities has been sufficient for me. Kind of a slow and steady wins the race type pet.

Start with Moonfire, then fire up Tranquility, then 2 rounds of breath, repeat tranquility and 2 breath until Moonlight runs out, or use moonfire if facing a flying critter, you need to reestablish moonlight, or you need something a little heavier than your breath weapon.

I've leveled the other dragonkin up to at least 10. I liked the Emerald better than the Celestial and Crimson single heal every few rounds, and while the Azure whelp has a big hitter, the 2 rounds of recovery afterwards makes it questionable. The Dark has the 2 round ability, but I found it missed way too much to be effective.

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » October 12th, 2012, 12:29 pm

I like my spawn of Onyxia. Crimsom Whelp was the hardest to level imo...

Vhale
MVP
Pet Score:10441
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Vhale » October 12th, 2012, 3:23 pm

I did the Crimson whelp. Sometimes I like tranquility and sometimes I just like the big heal. And sometimes Moonfire is nice, sometimes the extra heal on their pets is really bad. I found his speed troublesome more than anything. Heals don't do much good if they go off after a big crit. But I found his fly ability very handy. It's nice to be able to avoid a big attack and hit hard myself, and there's enough aquatic critters out there that the type damage on it was nice. Granted, you could do a Spirit of Competition and get basically the same thing, if you have that one.

Sohvan

Post by Sohvan » October 12th, 2012, 3:56 pm

I like the azure whelp, though it's very much a glass cannon compared to some other pets. Usually I use a Magical Crawdad and Darkmoon Zeppelin to handle the more tanky bits.

The whelp has a basic attack strong against magic or critters, and critters are very common. Arcane storm is useful against stunning pets, clearing up weather effects and doing some aoe damage.

The third slot has big hitters with Ice Tomb and Surge of Power. Ice Tomb is handy as it does a ton of damage and stuns. Surge of Power does huge damage, but requires 2 round of recharge. It's best to use Surge as a finisher, and it's especially powerful when combined with the 50% extra damage dragonkin do after reducing an enemy below 25%. This does proc even if you kill the enemy, so you can sometimes do some silly damage to the next pet to come along. You can one shot most flying pets this way, and nearly kill most others. The proc is not limited to the pet you brought under 25%, it buffs the dragon in general.

Axarien
MVP
Pet Score:5571
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Axarien » October 12th, 2012, 4:10 pm

I really like my Emerald Whelpling. Good versatility & survivability. Moonfire, then Tranquility, then Emerald Bite or Flame Breath, repeat Tranquility as it needs refreshing. Definitely a slow & steady wins the race kind of pet.

Cropher
MVP
Pet Score:7153
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Cropher » October 15th, 2012, 8:02 am

I like the Crimson Whelpling; yes, the heal is situational, but when your opponent whacks you with their big attack and you undo 1/2 the damage plus its base, it's very nice. I don't use "Deep Breath" anymore; while it's great when it hits, it just misses too much (and how does it miss, anyway?). Tail Swipe is very effective, because most pets with a speed-affecting attack either slow you down or speed themselves up, either of which makes it more effective. It's the pet I use to level others.

Slambert
Pet Score:2983
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Slambert » October 15th, 2012, 1:12 pm

the sprite darter hatchling is an amazing dragonkin, he's strong against flying and aquatic (both common), life exchange is game changing, has a strong weather ability, and you can usually get two rounds out of evanescence because of how fast you are (the only creatures faster usually are flying creatures or buffed creatures and your strong against flying anyways)

Wasabi
Pet Score:1279
Realm:Tarren Mill-eu

Post by Wasabi » October 15th, 2012, 2:18 pm

Ok, nearly all dragonkin have been mentioned, except for my favorite, which is the dark welpling. It does awesome damage and has 3 types of attack. It is still on my team, even though it was my first level 25.