Celestial Tournament - Reckon I'm prepared?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Ruzgofdi
MVP
Pet Score:4033
BattleTag®:TrojanRat#1907
Realm:Zangarmarsh-us
Re: Celestial Tournament - Reckon I'm prepared?

Post by Ruzgofdi » September 10th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Moritsume wrote:I just finished it...much tougher than I expected! Very fun.

The trainers weren't too bad, on my realm at least we had Lorewalker Cho, Pickles McLeary, and Dr. Ian Goldbloom. Pickles gave me the most trouble, with his undead racoon that has a critter-strong main attack and uses unholy ascension when he drops. The rabbit hit my moth for 700 (weak) with that @_@. I wish I could remember the teams I used here better but I just looked at what types they had and picked 3 hard counters until I won.

The celestials weren't bad at all. I threw 3 mechs at Xu-Fu, I think it was Tranquil Yeti/Darkmoon Tonk/Gnome (but I didn't get to the Gnome). His first move was Moonlight so having Call Lightning is a plus.

I tried to throw another 3 mechs at Zao, but because of his Wish, I used the Beast of Fable team of Unborn Valk/Water Spirit/Chrominius. My timing was off on Curse of Doom and it hit one turn before Geyser/Whirlwpool, but the combo still got him and seemed to ignore the "Boss Defense: May not deal more than 35% of their heal with one attack". That seems to be like the Magic Racial, so multi-hit moves are nice there.

Yu'la I used Idol with Smash/Stoneskin/Deflection, which got it down to roughly 35%. I then brought in a Kun-Lai Runt and Shatter-combo'd my way to an easy win.

For Chi-Chi, I noticed that he had an attack/dodge/hot, so I figured he'd be a giant pain in the ass. I used my 2nd valk (only level 19) and my Water Spirit/Chrom from Zao's fight (Spirit at 70% hp~, Chrom at 100%). I did Curse->Haunt(didn't have UA unlocked), and then the standard combo. I should mention that Chi-Chi killed Chrom the turn I had planned to use Surge of Power, but the combo killed Chi anyway.

All in all I think I used maybe 14 pets in all.

Very fun tournament! I wish everyone else good luck :)
I like your style better than that of the guy further up the list that was quoted from the forums.

I didn't think the three "undercard" fights were too bad. If you play up advantage types you should do fairly well. Most difficult one I had was Pickles, because Socks is a critter death machine. Ended up starting with a frog there and did rather well.

As for the title fights:

Yu'la seems the easiest. You can almost solo it with a Gregarious Grell. Adding an Anubisath Idol to the team made it a cake walk. I didn't even need whatever pet was in third position (which was for me was a Peddlefeet, just in case I needed the big humanoid shot through the heart).

For Chi-Chi, I used the Beast of Fable team of Unborn/Water Spirit/Chrominius. Noticed something odd. Unholy Ascension seems to kill undead flat out now, or at least it did for me. Didn't notice that change in the patch notes. So I threw curse of doom first, then UA, and then followed the normal pattern. I think Chrom needed to make a single attack to knock off the last 60 hp or so, but it was stunned so it wasn't that much of an issue.

I had some minor luck with an Unholy Ascension/Call Darkness/Nocturnal Strike team on Zao, but I think the one time it worked it was mostly luck. The easiest method I ran across was pure Zandalari Cheese. Black Claw/Hunting Party. I had to switch in a Kneebiter when the Anklerender went down, but Zao dropped before he got his wish.

Xu-fu is I think the hardest to do. I too went with Yeti/Gnome/Tonk. A lot more switching between pets in the middle of the fight than I normally do. I think, in the end, I got lucky with a stun from the Tonk's Shock and Awe just when I really needed it. Of all the fights, this is the one I'm going to keep watch on to see if someone finds a better strategy for.

Ligre
Pet Score:3056
BattleTag®:EricS#1876
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Ligre » September 10th, 2013, 5:57 pm

It's funny...that Undead Critter thing for one of the normal trainers can get another shot in after using Ascension...BUT NOT OUR VALKS, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Blizzard, I'm going to smack you.

Papazol
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Balnazzar-us

Post by Papazol » September 10th, 2013, 6:44 pm

Poofah wrote:Has anyone been brave enough to include a leveling pet for any of the first 3 fights? I'm curious if they give similar XP to the other Pandaria tamers. I'm also curious what happens if you heal and have to do the fights again....
23 lvl pet get 1.2k exp from masters and 250 from Celestials.

Hootstwo
Top Rater
Pet Score:4328
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Hootstwo » September 10th, 2013, 9:17 pm

Ruzgofdi wrote: Xu-fu is I think the hardest to do. I too went with Yeti/Gnome/Tonk. A lot more switching between pets in the middle of the fight than I normally do. I think, in the end, I got lucky with a stun from the Tonk's Shock and Awe just when I really needed it. Of all the fights, this is the one I'm going to keep watch on to see if someone finds a better strategy for.
Just wanted to mention that for me, Xu-Fu wasn't too bad, but Chi-Chi made me want to hurt baby kittens.

My Xu-Fu team was Traquil Yeti for Call Lightning, I then immediately swapped to a Turkey for Flock. Flocked until dead then brought back in the Yeti and a single Iron Fist had him dead. I actually had to do this twice because I exited the instance to bring back some pets that I hadn't actually healed before going into the tournament >.< I had a clockwork gnome ready to come out if the Yeti didn't do his job, but he did quite handily!

Anasa
Top Rater
Pet Score:2322
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Anasa » September 10th, 2013, 10:36 pm

I was... Not prepared. I have a lot of max level pets, but not enough hard counters for things.

Time to level s'more dragons and magic guys.

Ogryn
Pet Score:8363
Realm:Trollbane-us

Post by Ogryn » September 10th, 2013, 11:16 pm

Holy crap. Had to give up for the night. I couldn't manage to get any luck. Abilities missed a ridiculous amount of times, or stupid numbers of crits knocked out my pets WAY to soon. Managed to clear through to the Celestials, but I ran out of good counters to that evil little chicken, and Xu-Fu took my last bit of patience. I'm pretty sure I can take anything there, but I definitely am going to research better counters to the bird.

Arwyn3
Top Rater
Pet Score:6996
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-us

Post by Arwyn3 » September 11th, 2013, 12:16 am

I'm impatiently waiting for my other half to go to bed so I can try the tourney. I'm a little worried I'm low on mechanicals and magic pets but I have a couple close to max so I think Im gonna trainer battle to max my chrominus and clockwork gnome and pocket reaver. Thanks for all the tips, hopefully I can get this knocked out tonight. I've got 65 ish pets at max, and due to my slight obsession, a lot of dragonkin that can fill in for some of my weaker categories.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » September 11th, 2013, 1:08 am

Arwyn3 wrote: I'm a little worried I'm low on mechanicals
This would be my only complaint -- it's very intensive on mechanicals, and in particular the ones with decoy and/or ion cannon. Two of the celestials are beasts, and this week there's 2 beasts in the tamer teams. This week I forced myself to only use 1x each of Zeppelin, Tonk, Yeti, Menagerie Custodian (and 0 Chrominius/Water Spirit), but if I wanted to play it optimally I'd definitely have used multiples of all of those.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » September 11th, 2013, 1:30 am

Had to wait a little bit to get on but yeah I was ready. It should be pretty quick and easy once I get teams for all the different trainers setup but tonight took a while to check the pets abilities and pick out a team for each trainer.

Synergy6
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Tarren Mill-eu

Post by Synergy6 » September 12th, 2013, 1:47 pm

For those nay-sayers in the thread that said I couldn't do it- not prepared:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Synergised/achievement#15117:15119:a8410

Thanks to everyone else for all their help and useful advice.

Yu-La gave me the most trouble. I ended up using Nether Faeri Dragon (Life Exchange), Lesser Void Caller & Anubisath Idol

Thanks guys! :) :mrgreen:

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » September 12th, 2013, 3:23 pm

I know we can't heal or revive our pets, or use two of the same kind in one battle, but can we have doubles of the stronger variety leveled to 25? I mean, in case you fail and kill the first one in an attempt, can you use another level 25 of that same pet?

Also, if you fail or are DC'ed or have to go AFK for whatever, can you get back in?

I'm a bit scared to try. =X

Synergy6
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Tarren Mill-eu

Post by Synergy6 » September 12th, 2013, 3:43 pm

You can use 2 of the same in the same battle, as well as have doubles. 3 at the most.
For example: It's beneficial to have two Darkmoon Zeppelin/Tonks, which I had-used.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » September 12th, 2013, 5:04 pm

Kendrah wrote:I know we can't heal or revive our pets, or use two of the same kind in one battle, but can we have doubles of the stronger variety leveled to 25? I mean, in case you fail and kill the first one in an attempt, can you use another level 25 of that same pet?
You can have up to 3 of any pet learned at any given time and could use them all in the same fight if you wanted. I'm not sure if you can cage a dead pet or not but if you can you could theoretically have any number of cagable pets by just caging the dead pet and learning a new one. (DM Tonk etc)
Also, if you fail or are DC'ed or have to go AFK for whatever, can you get back in?
If you DC or AFK and get back soon enough you are still in the instance and are fine. If you are gone for too long and the instance kicks you out you can get back in but you will have to start over so make sure to heal up your pets.