More news on front page

Report bugs and share your ideas to improve WarcraftPets.
Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu
More news on front page

Post by Avalee » October 11th, 2012, 9:08 am

I suggest to put more news items on the front page. Like 6 or so. That way, people can see all the latest news in one go.

I would remove the "Latest Comments" from the front page. First of all, you can't see on what people comment on, and second, there's no link to go to the page where the comment came from so you can't check it out. Now it's just a bunch of unrelated sentences.

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Re: More news on front page

Post by Lysi » October 11th, 2012, 1:07 pm

Good topic! Overall they did a great job with the new layout, but there is always room for tweaking. :)

I agree it doesn't look very newsy with just one story. But rather than filling up the page, how about one full story, then headline links to the next 4 or 5 stories? People can just read what interests them. (Avalee, just a suggestion, you could bookmark the news page as your main link to the site if that's what interests you http://www.warcraftpets.com/news/ )

The latest comments are from people's profiles. I think they're the lifeblood of the site, and it was all we had before the forum. A lot of people still don't use the forum, many never will, it takes a certain kind of person to jump into this madness, lol. I use the comments page to access the site most of the time http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/comments/ If anything I'd put more of the comments on the front page, so people realize a running dialog can emerge there. :0)

Another front page suggestion, it would be nice if the New Pets link was more featured..? Or maybe thumbnails of a couple new pets. I'd want it to be hand picked for the layout every week or month, though, not just a random new pet of the day, since that may very well end up being one of the many cockroaches, not too exciting, lol. I love my Undercity cockroach but come on, they didn't even do color variations. XD

And I see we all need to go rate pets! Not only are the top 5 pets on the front page all pre-MoP, but so is every top rated pet http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/top-ten/
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Breanni
Site Admin
Pet Score:1499
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Breanni » October 11th, 2012, 4:36 pm

Some really nice suggestions here. I'll talk to Weena and we'll see what we can do to add a few additional news "teasers" to the home page. We also might add a couple more latest comments. And a featured pet might also be nice if we can do it easily enough. We'll look into it.

Breanni
Site Admin
Pet Score:1499
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Breanni » October 16th, 2012, 11:37 am

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » October 16th, 2012, 12:35 pm

Great! I think the front page looks more newsy and active now, better represents the site. :mrgreen:
Some of my best friends are imaginary…