Leveling Undead is so annoying

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Indira
Leveling Undead is so annoying

Post by Indira » October 9th, 2012, 3:19 am

I swear, everywhere I go, theres critters and aquatics. If I finally find a spawn thats not one of those 2, theres almost always a critter as the secondary pet. WTF!?

Meiska
Pet Score:4150
Realm:Bladefist-us

Re: Leveling Undead is so annoying

Post by Meiska » October 9th, 2012, 5:13 am

I haven't messed with pet battles as much as I want to yet, but what about having the undead pet out first, then pulling one of the more capable ones out. Don't they share xp? Still a pain but might work. I've also only done low level pet battles on Eastern Kingdoms, surely Kalimdor might have something otherwise? Good luck. It's actually why I didn't start with an undead pet as much as I wanted to.

Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Doobjanka » October 9th, 2012, 7:25 am

I leveled my Scourged Whelpling as my Undead, and I had to switch it out most of the time for my Flayer Youngling to get the kill and her to get half XP.
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Cropher
MVP
Pet Score:7153
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Cropher » October 9th, 2012, 7:37 am

A lot of it depends on the talents of the specific pet, too; for example, leveling my Lost of Lordaeron (it's 25 now) wasn't bad once I got the "Absorb" skill. Even against nasty horrible critters, when you combine "Siphon Life" and "Absorb" you can usually outlast them; against anything non-critter or non-aquatic you'll probably end the battle with more life than when you started it. My first leveling team was a Snow Cub (excellent vs. critters), a Darkmoon Zeppelin (excellent vs. beasts), and the Lost of Lordaeron. Swap 'em around, use the pet best against the specific opponent, and it's not bad. Still takes time though.

Kowvin
Pet Score:4153
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Kowvin » October 10th, 2012, 10:25 am

I found that if you start with a Darkmoon Zeppelin and use the Bombing Run (or aqua and hurricane), then switch out to the other pet the new pet will get the xp even if the bomb kills the target.

Uraa
Pet Score:11531
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uraa » October 10th, 2012, 12:41 pm

I started leveling a Fossilized Hatchling; their initial skill is Claw, a Beast type attack, so they rip right through most critters. And partnered with Ancient Blessing they can heal themselves right up.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » October 10th, 2012, 4:50 pm

Leveling an undead as your first pet is extremely rough, especially considering the starter zones are almost exclusively rats and frogs. Some humanoid murlocs in Elwynn/Loch Modan would be awfully nice; maybe Hordies could have some humanoid quillboar pets in and around the Barrens.

Once you have a high level pet, it becomes easy to level any other pet by starting the lowbie out against a much higher enemy, then swapping after one action to the high level pet to finish the fight. E.g. while leveling lil KT, I started him against random moths in Hyjal or Jade Forest, or dragonbone hatchlings, then swapped to a level 25 Emerald Whelpling after he took one hit (which he hopefully survived). KT took a lot of damage this way, but he also leveled up after nearly every fight, which healed him to full. Levels 1-10 was only a matter of ~10 fights doing this.

So, I'd say the quickest way to level undead is to level something else first.

Niall10
Realm:Bloodhoof-eu

Post by Niall10 » October 10th, 2012, 7:18 pm

I agree with what Poof says but heres how i would do it.

1/ Buy a croc say chuck or if your lucky snarly (Snarly is the best cros more hp)
2/ Crocs have imho the best healing out of all the pets Consume and Devour.
3/ get you croc to lvl 10 when he is he will be able to handle all spawns without swapping out.
4/ when your croc hits 25 you can then lvl any pet with min waiting to heal as poof said all you have to do is get the pet you want to lvl to 4 so he has hp than can handle a wack off a lvl 22/23 mob swap him in then out straight away he dosent even have to hit the mob to get like 465 exp a pop.

To lvl snarly to 25 it took me a day and simply put i think hes the best pet in the game imho.