Tiggindy's advice for pet leveling

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Corah
Pet Score:13318
Realm:Llane-us
Re: Tiggindy's advice for pet leveling

Post by Corah » August 10th, 2013, 10:09 pm

On the fire spirit, my Scourged Whelpling ate the first two pets. I used Tail sweep, Call Darkness, Plagued Blood.

Misstic
MVP
Pet Score:6356
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Misstic » August 22nd, 2013, 1:04 am

Best post ever, thank you! I look at it everyday to help me with my battles, THANK YOU!!

Skyquake
MVP
Pet Score:4379
BattleTag®:Seamus#1218
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Skyquake » August 22nd, 2013, 10:22 am

Great post!
Honestly, other than the first round for the achievement after the last big patch, I don't bother with the BoF, but I'll see if I can come up with something.
From the "Guide to tamer daily pet battles (5.3) - For veterans" above:

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... =10&t=4314
Beasts of Fable
6 rounds
1: Unborn Val'kyr [?] (1,2,2)
2: Pandaren Water Spirit [-] (1,2,2)
3: Chrominius [-] (1,1,2)

This is my generic team, which should work well against the majority of the BoF. The goal of this team is to set up a mix of bombs which will detonate on the same turn, under a Howl (+100% damage). You will deliver 100% of your damage at the same time: this way, the enemies won't be able to react and mitigate the damage with their powerful heals.

This strategy should grant you a kill on turn 6 or 7.

Round 1: Unholy Ascension
Your Unborn Val'kyr resurrects
Round 2: Curse of Doom
Your Unborn Val'kyr dies
Switch to Pandaren water spirit
Round 3: Geyser
Round 4: Whirlpool
Round 5: Switch to Chrominius
Round 6: Howl
At the end of this turn, Curse of Doom, Geyser and Whirlpool detonate at the same time with a +125% boost (25% from Unholy Ascension and 100% from Howl). The enemy takes a truckload of damage and is stunned.
Round 7: Surge of Power if the enemy is still alive

- Notes: For Dos-Ryga, cast some Shadow Slashes, then proceed as explained above (Unholy ascension > Curse of doom > etc...). The goal is to stall for a bit with the Shadow Slashes to have the enemy's Whirlpool detonate on your Val'kyr's last turn instead of your Pandaren water spirit. This team doesn't work against No-No. I advise you to use Yellow Moth [4] (2,1,2) and Bat [4] (1,2,1) instead of Unborn Val'kyr and Pandaren Water Spirit against him.

If you complete all of the Beasts of Fable dailies, you are awarded three bags, each of which has a much higher chance than a Tamer's bag to contain a Battle-Stone. They may also contain Lesser Pet Treats, which give a 25% exp buff for an hour. They're also the source of three Panda pets. The above strategy is a thing of beauty. Just something to think about.

Kiowa
Top Rater
Pet Score:5349
BattleTag®:Towgrunt#1690
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Kiowa » August 23rd, 2013, 2:38 am

Do sub level 90 character's have a chance at stones or just xp?

Papazol
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Balnazzar-us

Post by Papazol » August 23rd, 2013, 5:20 am

Kiowa wrote:Do sub level 90 character's have a chance at stones or just xp?
ou can get stones on any lvl:
- from battles random pvp or against wild pet,
- from lowlvl tamers (vanila, BC, WOtLK, Cata last masters) daily quests,
- from account wide quests for reg tamers (EK, Kalimdor, Outlands, North, Cata).
- from MoP reg tamers, like Nishi, daily quests.
So 90's lvls have only few more chances to get stones from BoF and pandaren spirits.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » August 23rd, 2013, 10:11 pm

I apologize, I just don't think of the BoF, and haven't even been doing the regular dailies recently. :oops:
Skyquake wrote:The above strategy is a thing of beauty. Just something to think about.
That's probably the easiest way to go about it. :lol:
If I were to post something, it would be a team for each individual BoF. :roll:
If you complete all of the Beasts of Fable dailies, you are awarded three bags, each of which has a much higher chance than a Tamer's bag to contain a Battle-Stone. They may also contain Lesser Pet Treats, which give a 25% exp buff for an hour. They're also the source of three Panda pets.
That's also part of the reason I don't think of the BoF. I got all 4 panda pets in 5 rounds of BoFs when they first went in (probably super lucky there). I had upgraded everything way before the change that added the extra bags and adjusted the stone chance, and I had almost finished leveling everything so I didn't need the XP boosts either. :oops:

In any case, thank you for the comments on my post.

I've added my battletag to my profile, so it's on the side there. Peeps can feel free to add me and ask questions when I'm in game if you want to.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » September 5th, 2013, 4:48 pm

Been meaning to say thanks for this guide for ages! I was having tons of trouble boosting on almost all the MoP dailies so this has been a huge help! :D
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Luc80

Post by Luc80 » September 9th, 2013, 10:59 am

Great guide thank you

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » September 10th, 2013, 9:49 am

You are awesome !!! :D Wonderful guide and it certainly helped me :))

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » September 13th, 2013, 1:03 pm

I just updated the Pandaria tamer posts to reflect the changes for 5.4.

I'm not particularly satisfied with what I recommend for Shu, so I'll try to come up with something better on that one.

QuentStormborn
Pet Score:2513
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by QuentStormborn » September 14th, 2013, 2:12 pm

Tiggindy wrote:I just updated the Pandaria tamer posts to reflect the changes for 5.4.

I'm not particularly satisfied with what I recommend for Shu, so I'll try to come up with something better on that one.
Awesome, your guide has been amazing for leveling my pets. Will you by chance be putting together anything for the tourney?

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » September 14th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Here's an idea for people looking to level a large # of pets from 1 thru to 8-10 quickly - and then from 8 to 15 as well. It's not a "must do" but it is very fast and requires no bandages. Just multiple pets you want to level so that when a level 1 is killed you don't need to worry, just forfeit, change to a new level 1 pet, pick another fight.

Part 1:
Opponent: Scalded Basilisk Hatchling (lvl 18-20) + 2 friends

Your team:
1: Level 1 carry pet
2: Level 25 Molten Hatchling (or any other spider w/brittle webbing, but Molten is best)
- use Leech Life, Cauterize, Brittle Webbing
3: Level 25 Spider (any kind, as long as it has brittle webbing)
- use Strike, Brittle Webbing, Leech Life

The method:
Your carry pet has to do 1 action, and normally against a lvl 18-20 you'll never survive. However scalded basilisk hatchlings have 4 of 6 abilities that will not kill a level 1 (except when the basilisk is a rare or your pet is a critter). Bite & Thrash pretty much always kill the level 1, but if the bailisk uses roar, crystal prison, feign death, or screech your pet will survive.

Switch to spider, brittle webbing > leech life > repeat -- throw in Cauterize if your spider is below half health, repeat until enemy team is dead. Levels with a hat on go from 1 to 5 to 6/7 to 8/9 - 10. You wont ever need the 2nd spider unless something goes badly, but that shouldn't happen more than once every 8 minutes. :)

Crank thru your set of pets, rezzing all the dead ones and repeating til satisfied. Note: the basilisks wont be able to 1-shot your level 5's (unless a thrash vs a critter, maybe). So getting them over the hump is all you need.

Part 2:
Opponent: Any of the critters - bandicoons, quillrats, marsh fiddlers - avoid the waterfronts, don't pick on turtles or otters, though you'll get them as adds frequently)

Your team:
1: Any of the pets you levelled to 8-10 above
2: Molten Spider (same abilities as above)
3: Any Spider (same as above - now Strike is important)

Use the same tactics as before - keep brittle webbing up, use cauterize to keep your molten spider up (like after an otter hits with dive). If the enemy team has a turrtle with Shell Shield then swap in the regular spider, and brittle web > leech life > strike him until dead. The regular spider kills faster than the molten one, but cannot heal as quickly. The biggest issue you might have is the citters swarming themselves to death before you can get a leech life off - and again this is where cauterize is a huge help.

The whole idea of this is to allow you to just battle constantly, no need to run back for healing (or using bandages). Once you're up to to a batch of level 15's (which will take you 4-5 battles per pet at most), you'll be all prepared to run thru the OP's excellent routines for getting them to 25. I've used this method with more than 50 level 1's and it's nice and easy to crank out pet levels.

Enjoy!

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » September 15th, 2013, 8:59 am

QuentStormborn wrote:
Tiggindy wrote:I just updated the Pandaria tamer posts to reflect the changes for 5.4.

Awesome, your guide has been amazing for leveling my pets. Will you by chance be putting together anything for the tourney?
I plan to, but it'll be after next week. The first week was mildly embarrassing. I went through a LOT of pets beating the celestials (like 80% of my mechanicals) before I won. :oops: Now that it's been drilled into my head that I need to plan ahead for beating them, I'll work from there.

One thing for sure is that since I don't keep duplicates of any pets, whatever strategy I end up with won't be listing any particular pet more than once, unless it still has high health after a previous bout.

Just a preliminary:
Vs sully, I used a wood frog, stunted yeti and crow.
Vs Dr. Ion Goldbloom I used Dragon kite, Mecha Dragon and Emerald Whelpling.
Vs Lorewalker Cho I used Jade Oozeling, Mecha dragon and scourged whelpling.

I'll probably stick with Chrominus and the Water Spirit for xu-fu and the triple snail vs chi-chi.

Nataliana
Pet Score:3447
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Nataliana » September 16th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Very nice guide, thank you for the work put into it, and the multiple responses of others.

Adding my two cents, my power leveling trick may seem a bit cheap to some, and some will complain that I won't get all my pets or achievements until I stop this method, but... it works for me, it allows me to level the pets I want in a very short time, and I am able to do the same for others who have already passed this point and can't take advantage of it.

If you have NOT completed the Spirit Tamers quest yet, the one where you need to defeat the 4 elemental tamers in MoP, you can cheese your way to a ton of XP, as much as you want or have time for. You can battle any of the spirit tamers over and over, even after winning, as long as you do not complete the quest. Personally, I just take down the Thundering Spirit Tamer, since he is very close to either faction's home in the Vale. Tigg has already described how to carry a pet earlier in this thread, that is exactly how I do it, with the exception that you can take a level 1 pet into the fight and have it survive. Start with the new pet in the first slot, have it take the first attack (since it does not damage and simply stuns you), and swap the pet out. Your rabbit will have to eat the 2nd attack, but it is weak against critters. I've never had my rabbit die when doing this (I use a stoned Tolai Hare Pup H/P breed). I actually have 2 teams of rabbit+mech dragon, to minimize downtime. Each fight, when done nice and smooth, takes only 3-4 minutes, and it takes only 5 fights to level a pet from 1 to 25 (hat + 25% pet xp food).

I was lucky enough to discover this before completing the questline, and will continue to level pets in this manner for quite a while. I advertise in trade chat that I level pets as a service, 50g/level, and have made enough gold to keep buying those hard to find pets that I don't want to farm. So hey, if you want me to level a pet for you, come find me on Moonrunner (Bryenne or Makepõ (alt+0245)).

Happy leveling!

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » September 21st, 2013, 8:50 am

I'm not sure if I should make a new post about this or not. I didn't write down the moves either, but if you've been fighting for a while, you should be able to figure it out. ;)

I one shot each of fights in the celestial tourney last night, and I'm not ashamed to say I looked at other posts.

Also, the below shouldn't be using any repeat pets or super rare ones.
(*note* my strat for goldbloom broke this rule, so I didn't list one. :oops: )

Sully:
Slot 1 - Wood Frog - Tongue lash, healing wave, swarm of flies
Slot 2 - Stunted Yeti - Thrash, Mangle, Rampage
Slot 3 - Crow - Alpha strike, call darkness, nocturnal strike

Frogs demolish undead, the yeti is a super counter to critters, and flying vs aquatic.

Lorewalker Cho:
Slot 1 - Jade Oozeling - Ooze Touch, Corrosion, Acid Goo
Slot 2 - Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling - Breath, Bombing Run, Decoy
Slot 3 - Scourges Whelpling - Tail Sweep, Call Darkness, Plagued Blood

The ooze counters the owl, the dragonling counters the broom and undead dragon counters the live one.

Dr. Ion Goldbloom:
I need to change this lineup, and I apologize. I'll update when I've fought him again. The strat uses the mechanical dragonling a second time and a dragon kite, which not a lot of peeps will have.

Wrathion:
Slot 1 - Perky Pug - Comeback, Perk up, Burrow
Slot 2 - Anubisath Idol - Crush, Sandstorm, Deflection
Slot 3 - Flayer Youngling - Blitz, Deflection, Kick

Pug counters the undead dragon, anubisath idol beat the other two, so I didn't even need the flayer.

Taran Zhu:
Slot 1 - Mr Grubbs - Consume, Acid Goo, Burrow
Slot 2 - Nether Ray Fry - Arcane Blast, Tail Sweep, Shadow Shock
Slot 3 - Pterrodax hatchling - Slicing Wind, Ancient Blessing, Lift-Off

The massive undead damage from the first two pets should be sufficient to get you through the fight, the third slot is more for backup.

Chen Stormstout:
Slot 1 - Darkmoon Zepplin - Missile, Bombing Run, Decoy
Slot 2 - Curious Wolvar Pup - Bite, Frenzy, Maul
Slot 3 - Snarly - Rip, Surge, Blood in the water

Decoy the first round (hope for no stun), bomb, then missile until dead. The wolvar should be able to easily destroy the cricket, and do some damage to the elemental, and then snarly for finishing the elemental.

Yu'la:
Slot 1 - Gregarious Grell - Punch, Phase Shift, Cauterize
Slot 2 & 3 - Whatever you feel like

As recommended on other posts, the Grell solo'd the dragon. Others have suggested that Peddlefeet works well too, with maybe a couple backup humans, or undead with human attacks.

Zao:
Slot 1 - Mechanical Dragonling or Darkmoon Zepplin (whichever was not used before) - Missile/breath, Bombing Run, Decoy
Slot 2 - Clockwork Gnome - Metal Fist, Repair, Build Turret
Slot 3 - Zandalari Kneebiter - Hunting Party, Black claw, bloodfang

Decoy in round 1 (to block the big charge), then bombing run, swap to gnome, build turret, swap to kneebiter, black claw, swap to gnome, turret and Zao dies.

Chi-Chi:
Slot 1 - Snail 1 - Ooze Touch, Acid Goo, Dive
Slot 2 - Snail 2 - ditto
Slot 3 - Snail 3 - ditto

Acid goo, then ooze touch. Dive the round he goes ethereal. You might get to the third snail, but it works. ;)

Xu-Fu:
Slot 1 - Pandaren Water Spirit - Water Jet, Whirlpool, Geyser
Slot 2 - Chrominius - Bite, Howl, Surge of Power
Slot 3 - Something mechanical, just in case

Start with the spirit, do geyser, then whirlpool, then try a jet (you'll die). Bring in Chrominius for Howl and Surge of Power. If something goes wrong, then you've got a third pet just in case, but he died just from the first two for me.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » September 24th, 2013, 6:43 am

Tiggindy wrote:Also, the below shouldn't be using any repeat pets or super rare ones.

Yu'la:
Slot 1 - Gregarious Grell - Punch, Phase Shift, Cauterize
Slot 2 & 3 - Whatever you feel like

As recommended on other posts, the Grell solo'd the dragon. Others have suggested that Peddlefeet works well too, with maybe a couple backup humans, or undead with human attacks.
As Gregarious Grell is a WTCG pet you might want to use a different strat here are well. There are lots of people who wont spend the RL money (or in-game gold) to get this guy. I haven't even used him yet, though I did level him to 25. Great work, though, as always, good to see more strats - it helps out people who have different pets levelled to see more solid teams.

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » September 25th, 2013, 8:15 pm

Rendigar wrote:As Gregarious Grell is a WTCG pet you might want to use a different strat here are well.
I thought about that, but figured that since it was a "common" rare, it wouldn't be that bad, and prices (at least on my server) are relatively cheap. (and by that, I mean under 10k, but I haven't looked at/for them in a while).

I'll post something else though, since I didn't use that the first week, but darned if I can remember what I did use. :lol:

I haven't had a chance to do the fights this week. Probably won't til Friday or Sat.
Great work, though, as always, good to see more strats - it helps out people who have different pets levelled to see more solid teams.
Thanks. Though I obviously have my favorites that I fall back on time and again, but since favorites are subjective, it still gives peeps a different view of the fights.

Arwyn3
Top Rater
Pet Score:6996
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-us

Post by Arwyn3 » September 25th, 2013, 11:08 pm

Thanks for the guide. Some of this is out there other places but its nice having it all in one spot. Anubiseth idol and pretty much any other pet can carry a lvling pet through the fire spirit. It's 50/50 whether I ever use my 3rd pet. I don't if the lvling pet is 20+

The_trainmaster
Pet Score:1468
Realm:Turalyon-eu

Post by The_trainmaster » September 26th, 2013, 10:02 am

This may be the greatest thread ever to have made it into a forum. Highly appreciate your efforts, Tiggindy! :) Though I would like to add my findings as not to make this a purely "fan-post".

Wastewalker Shu
I found a quite stable team with;
Pterrordax Hatchling (Flyby, Ancient Blessing, Lift-Off)
Eternal Strider (Water Jet, Cleansing Rain, Pump)
Leveling pet - pref 20+

The Hatchling can easily solo Crusher without barely taking damage using; Flyby, Flybly, Lift-Off (to avoid Whirlpool), Crusher will heal after this so use Ancient Blessing and then finish him with a Flyby. For Pounder, get as many Flybys' in as possible and let the Hatchling die. Queue Strider and Pump then Cleansing Rain. Flyby will have one round left and your Aquatic abilites now does +100% against Pounder. Finish him with a Pump. Use your Strider to get Mutilator as low as you can, then swap in your leveling pet to finish him off, thereby a high-level.

Another thing I noticed was regarding the Burning Pandaren Spirit; an Anubisath Idol worked very very well against the first Dragonkin. Not only can he block Lift-Off, but Sandstorm will mean your backrow leveling pet will take less AoE as well, while your Anubisath Idol still gets the same damage reduction as from the shield.

Happy hunting!

Edit: I finally found a more managable tactic for Courageous Yon!
Anubisath Idol (Crush, Sandstorm, Deflection))
Leveling Pet
Level 25 of your choice

It's simple really, keep Sandstorm up and use Deflection whenever the Bird does Lift-Off, the Rabbit does Burrow or after the Summit Kid has used Chew. I got my leveler in to get hit by the Rabbit, but it could easily take the first hit from Birdy. Used Zao as the 3rd backup, but never needed to use him. The Idol really has become one of my favourites - at the end of the fight, he had never dropped below 80% HP. :)

Tiggindy
MVP

Post by Tiggindy » October 3rd, 2013, 8:27 pm

Apologies, I should have posted these before, but this is what I used for last week's fights Monday night. And I'm too tired to remember attack orders and such right now, sorry. :oops:

Wise Mari:
Slot 1 - Qiraji Guardling - Whirlwind, Sandstorm, Reckless Strike
Slot 2 - Scourged Whelpling - Tail Sweep, Call Darkness, Plagued Blood
Slot 3 - Crab (of some kind) - Surge, Healing Wave, Whirlpool

Blingtron:
Slot 1 - Eternal Strider - Water Jet, Healing Wave, Pump
Slot 2 - Direhorn (of some kind) - Trihorn Charge, stampede, Trihorn Shield
Slot 3 - Dark Phoenix Hatchling - Burn, Darkflame, Conflagrate

while I don't remember things exactly, I do remember that I messed up the first try and ended up using a different water bug and direhorn, and winning the second try. The Direhorn needs to shield to block the massive damage from the coins the pig tosses.

Shademaster Kiryn
Slot 1 - Lofty Libram - Shadow Shock, Amplify Magic, Curse of Doom
Slot 2 - Amethyst Shale Hatchling - Burn, Poison Spit, Stoneskin
Slot 3 - Crow - Alpha Strike, Call Darkness, Nocturnal Strike

Again, this was my second team because the first one I made mistakes with and died. However, what I do remember is that the crimson lasher kicked a lot of butt on my first attempt. When I see this again, I'll try not to mess up and see how it goes with that pet again.

I also had a problem with Xu-Fu when he critted and killed my pets before I expected with the water spirit/chrominius combo.
I beat him the last two times using this group:
Slot 1 - Water Waveling - ice lance, frost shock, geyser
Slot 2 - Chicken (of some kind) - whatever, whatever, flock
Slot 3 - Tranquil Mechanical Yeti - Metal Fist, Call Lightning, Ion Cannon

Frost shock, ice lance, geyser, die. Flock to get the bonus damage for when the geyser goes off, then flock again to make sure the yeti has his bonus, sometime in there you'll die. Call lighting, then ion cannon should kill him.

Also, I've tried some other stuff on Yu'la, but after a couple losses I ended up going back to the Grell. I'll keep trying other things. :roll: